SydBristow

Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

A while back I posted a thread about products or techniques that have changed your makeup, skincare or hair care.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Products-and-or-Techniques-that-Changed-Your-Makeup-Skinca...

On weekends I like to try new things, either products or techniques. Today in particular I had numerous epic fails. From one of my shadows shattering in the case (new, too, ugh) to a new BB cream providing zero coverage and actually turning my face red, to the second time this week cascading glitter all over my face from my eye shadow!! LOL I had to use makeup remover to take some stuff off it was so bad.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same. I do like to change things up, but it doesn't always mean success. :smileyhappy:

poshified

Re: Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

(0) Hearts

Oh no, Roxystar! :smileysad: Are they individual shadows or from the palettes?

oklady2013

OH YES, how could I forget the DDML. I tried it when it first came out years & years ago. Red, itch, dried out face. It was . just ICK!

sbowden

Clinique DDML+...

Lesson learned, read the reviews.  People didn't like it, but I tried it anyways and broke out like crazy.  Took a couple of weeks to get my skin back in order.  *shudder*

oklady2013

I'll second the LORAC eye primer. I haven't tried NARS yet.

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

Agreed on Lorac! :smileyhappy:

amberangeline

I have a recurring epic fail... I cannot for the life of me do a decent cat eye with liner! I've practiced and practiced...tried liquid, gel, pencil, pretty much any kind of liner you can name and I just can't get it right! I end up trying to correct it so much that my line gets super thick and I look pretty scary. I am thinking maybe my eyes are the wrong shape for cat eyes and that makes me so sad. :-(  I am in love with the old Hollywood glam looks with cat eye liner and bold, red lips! 

wendiward

I have had really good luck since one of the store makeup artists showed me a trick...one..draw the flip court first..second you don't have to apply it in one swipe..draw on dots or small lines then connect them all. I have flood luck with all now although I will say I find the pencils the hardest..

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

I have heard this is a successful technique for many. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Urbie

Oh no!  I usually do a  cat eye, but always struggle to get both sides even.  The best trick I've learned is to lightly draw in the "flick" part before doing the eye- that way you can get the angle correct and in the place you want it, then you just line your eye like normal and carefully fill in the corner of your eye to make the flick blend smoothly into the rest of the line.

Hope that helps!  And, once you do get it, it is (usually) easier every time.  Sometimes I just resign myself to slightly lopsided swoops and put on a LOT of mascara!

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

Haha! Mascara makes everything better anyway. ;-) Thanks for the tips!

linda711

Same here!  I don't know why, but my 14 yo daughter makes it look like a snap, and yet I struggle.  I guess it takes practice, GHkim gave some good advice I think I'll try.

lilyyy

Whenever I visit, I used to ask my (now) 16 year old sister for eyeliner tips. Some people are just naturally talented!

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

I see so many people pull it off without a hitch and I get so jealous, haha! Hang in there, we'll get it someday! ;-)

SydBristow

Oh my gosh me too! It's so hard. I love UD liners but I have a tad better luck with Stila, it's not "permanent" quite as fast. I think I've pulled it off twice, the rest were EPIC fails. :smileyhappy:

amberangeline

I haven't tried Stila yet. Do you use the smudge sticks or the liquid liner? I have used a lot of UD too, but no luck with them for sure. :-/

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I do UD on my eye then Stila smudge stick of similar color (I got the whole seeing stars set for $10 during a sale) for the wing. It's a bit easier to correct. :smileyhappy:

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

$10? What a steal! I have a smudge stick so I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

ghkim

one tip i've learned through trial and error is that you do not need to go all the way to the end of your lid before you do the flick. you can place the flick a few millimeters before the end of your lid/lashline. if i do that, it looks a lot better on me. also, make the outside of the line (farther from the nose) thicker than the inside (close to the nose). finally, use powder with a short stiff brush when you are starting out. it is way more forgiving than gel or liquid.

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice! I'll put it all to practice and see if I can get it right!

oklady2013

Syd, I hope the alcohol trick works for you. & you save your pretty shadow. that's a lot of shadow to lose.  I did that with a single eye shadow once. It did work but seemed like it took a day or so to dry completely.  I still haven't hit pan on that one. Good luck.

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I did the alcohol paste this afternoon so I just looked - it doesn't look pretty but the shadow appears attached to the rest of it in the pan. Fingers crossed!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 81 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • kalex
    • sweetxteeth
    • jojobe
    • lilyyy
    • poshified
    • swanbeauty