Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

A while back I posted a thread about products or techniques that have changed your makeup, skincare or hair care.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Products-and-or-Techniques-that-Changed-Your-Makeup-Skinca...

On weekends I like to try new things, either products or techniques. Today in particular I had numerous epic fails. From one of my shadows shattering in the case (new, too, ugh) to a new BB cream providing zero coverage and actually turning my face red, to the second time this week cascading glitter all over my face from my eye shadow!! LOL I had to use makeup remover to take some stuff off it was so bad.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same. I do like to change things up, but it doesn't always mean success. :smileyhappy:

Re: Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

one tip i've learned through trial and error is that you do not need to go all the way to the end of your lid before you do the flick. you can place the flick a few millimeters before the end of your lid/lashline. if i do that, it looks a lot better on me. also, make the outside of the line (farther from the nose) thicker than the inside (close to the nose). finally, use powder with a short stiff brush when you are starting out. it is way more forgiving than gel or liquid.

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice! I'll put it all to practice and see if I can get it right!

Syd, I hope the alcohol trick works for you. & you save your pretty shadow. that's a lot of shadow to lose.  I did that with a single eye shadow once. It did work but seemed like it took a day or so to dry completely.  I still haven't hit pan on that one. Good luck.

(0) Hearts

I did the alcohol paste this afternoon so I just looked - it doesn't look pretty but the shadow appears attached to the rest of it in the pan. Fingers crossed!

theBalm Balm Jovi palette. I tried to make it work but no matter what look I try to do, it just ends up being too dramatic. The colors are waaaayyyyy pigmented. End up having to sell it to a co-worker at half the cost but I'm glad she's having better luck with it than I did. 

(0) Hearts

Uh oh I just ordered The Balm Balm Voyage....hope it's not too pigmented! I got it because the colors are outside my norms.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I think the colors in the Balm Voyage are a little more versatile. Let me know how you like it, I might be willing to give theBalm another chance :smileytongue:

Syd…my favorite eyeshadow primers are the Nars and Lorac.  Everything else is an epic fail in comparison :smileyhappy:

(0) Hearts

I like Lorac too, have also been using UD primer with luck as well. Got a BLITZ bag with the NARS primer, can't wait to try it!

I found out the hard way how drying OCC lip tars are on me, I wore prettyboy to a party (with clear under it) and within a couple hours the skin started peeling off my lips - gross! :smileysad: I'm working on making my lips stay hydrated before I try that again, I love the color too much to get rid of it.

(0) Hearts

my lips LOATHE castor oil and always peel if my lip products have it in them..the occ lip tars have castor oil as the main ingredient..maybe that's your culprit as well? also, the occ lip tars didn't work for me, even though i used it as directed--blended only a teeny tiny amount of color.. 

Oh no!! I haven't tried their lip tars, that's too bad! I hope you find a solution!

I hope so too! I almost wonder if it was an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients, I've never seen my lips peel that badly.

Tried OCC lip tar for the first time a few weeks ago. Heard about it feathering on other people but completely forgot to wear lip liner or put the clear lip liner around the edge of my lips. Welp. Found out the hard way that they weren't kidding. I've NEVER seen a lip color travel that far outside my lips before! It's been weeks and I've yet to try and mess with it again. Ugh, so frustrating.

(0) Hearts

Whoa!!

I like trying new things on weekends, too. Today I was so proud of this look I did with Vice 2. And then like half an hour later I realized that the bold green line I did (sort of liner, but not) had bled up onto my crease. :smileysad:  It's been a long time since that's happened. Actually, hasn't happened since I found NARS lid primer. But I think the amount of shadow I used plus the fact that I used it wet just did me in.

Epic product fail for me: BECCA Rose Gold Shimmering Skin Perfector. I just ... can't figure it out.

NARS is that good? I have to try it! I get the crease once in a while, doesn't even have to be a lot of shadow.

It is, without a doubt, the best makeup item that has ever happened to me. I cannot overstate how much it changed eye makeup. My eyeshadow would always crease - I mean, completely fall apart by the end of the day. So I basically never wore it. And my eyeliner would always transfer from lashline to eyelid. I swear I've spent half my life surreptitiously wiping my eyelids to try to keep my eyeliner in place.

Earlier this year, I read about the NARS primer on Brightest Bulb in the Box. I tried it, and all of a sudden my eye makeup at 6 p.m. looked exactly as it looked at 6 a.m. 

In short, it's my HG of HGs. :smileyhappy:

Sorry about the eye shadow Syd. Are you close enough to a store to exchange it?

Epic fails

Smashbox BB/CC cream or foundation. They all seem to want to slide off my face in a short period of time.,even with Smashbox primer. What did stay turned a weird color.in about 2 hours.

Most UD shadows make my eyes itch unfortunately. There are a couple matte shades that seem to be ok. UDPP makes my eyes & lids  burn & itch

90% of mascaras on the market make my eyes burn/water/itch

Bare Minerals foundation makes my face itch/sting if I wear it & get sweaty

Anastasia Catwalk palette applied really patchy & were poorly pigmented..

A lot that were fails for me are things I really want to be able to use.  

(0) Hearts

Oh no....that's a lot going on! Sorry to hear. :smileysad:

I got the Melt palette from UD directly about a month ago. I guess the shadows are really soft. One of the ones I had put in there with Melt crumbled, the others are oddly fine. I tried the alcohol trick, haven't checked to see if it worked. It wasn't the whole thing, maybe half of it. :smileysad: ($9 worth, I guess.)

Great post!  Sorry about the shadow :smileysad:   I'm trying to think at some epic moments but nothing is coming up right this minute... lol

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats