arielaaaaaaaa

Does a scent deter you from using it?

Just something I'm noticing lately from reading post. But does a scent really make you not use a product. I understand if the fragrance irritates you, but just in general if you don't like the scent of something, do you not use it?

I personally have only come across one product that was too over whelming that made me not want to really use it but I just got over. It was the Ole Henrikson truth cream advance hydratIon. Smelled way too much of oranges and I really didn't like it. But I still use it. What's everyone's opinion?

melissabt

Re: Does a scent deter you from using it?

(0) Hearts

Yes! It totally does:smileysad: Especially shampoos and conditioners. The product can be amazing and work well, but if I cant stand the smell I refuse to use it. The same thing goes for self tanners and body lotions.

<3 Melissa
plm95

(0) Hearts

Agreed on the shampoos and conditioners - then my hair will smell funny for a day or two /:

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Totally! And then you have to use a clarifying shampoo to get the smell out.

<3 Melissa
jinxski

[ Edited ]

I was just about to comment on that Ole Henrikson cream too, while reading thread! I completely agree with you, it smelled kind of rotten to me and I just couldn't get past the scent to use it. Luckily, my friend liked it enough to take it off my hands.

Most of the time, the scent of a product won't keep me from using it, unless it smells a bit off or expired. 

kenny

Yes. I'm not very sensitive to fragrances, though I do have a L'oreal lipstick and a Lancome lipstick that have the same sickening perfumey scent I can't stand. Even though I like the shade the scent annoys me.

tashalicious

i have to say yes, and not many scents bother me but the ones that do give me a headache.

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

I know its random - maybe mine is a fluke but the Dior Skin Perfect Pore Refining Perfecting Moisturizer smells to me a bit like overripe banana. I don't exactly go for that. I have tried to get over it and ignore that smell because I like the actual product, but I definitely do not reach for it...oh well

BlushHoarder

This may seem a bit gross/odd but Estee Lauder lip products smell like tobacco to me. At first I was turned off by the fragrance... but I kind of like it now and own a few products.... .....  ....   ..... stop judging me.

Spoiler

rikkie

[ Edited ]

I love things that smell like oranges! But there is probably such a thing as too much, I like the green tea smell of Amore Pacific creams but the white tea of Origins A Perfect World products is too strong and I can't bear to put it all over my face. I got a deluxe sample of Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream and I am trying to use it but I hate the smell so so so much, it smells like rancid oil and moldy seaweed.The only thing I have bought online and had to return is a Caudalie scrub, the Merlot one that was on sale a few months ago, it smelled like gasoline. I may be overly sensitive about the way my products smell though, haha.

arielaaaaaaaa

I love the way oranges smell as well. The truth serum for instance is a wonderful citrus scent. But the cream! Wayyyy tooo much. I would have returned that scrub as well if it smelled like gasoline!!! How odd. 

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I guess I haven't tried that particular one, maybe they went way overboard and I will hate it too! I tried the Origins Night-a-mins cream the other day and it smells like orange peels in a good way and I really liked the results from one night's use. I will have to get my hands on more than that one foil packet!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@nebel- Yeah  that was a long time ago I didn't use it then but I'm glad it doesn't smell that way now.:smileyhappy:

kalex

The scent may stop me from repurchasing something if I really don't like it.  I just started using Josie Maran Argan Daily SPF 40 and the scent brings back memories of my mother trying to pour cough medicine down my throat as a child.  Needless to say, I won't be repurchasing.  I won't return it simply because it's so wasteful but it's not the best way to start the day!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Hmm I don't have a problem with that product. I like it a lot. It weird how things can smell so differently to people. 

clarks18

It depends on how strong it is.  Also what type of product.  It it lingers and I end up smelling it all day I will return it.  I bought the #74 brush from Sephora recently for contouring and it smelled a little funky when I first got it.  Like mothballs.  I cleaned it about 5 times before I used it.  The closet Sephora to me is 45 mins away so I couldn't do a quick return.  It doesn't smell anymore but if I think about it enough I can smell it right now ha!

arielaaaaaaaa

Lol that's so weird it smelled like that.I got a laugh out of the last line of your comment!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

From now on I'm going to take a wiff of all Sephora brushes before I buy them.  Great brushes but I'm not a fan of stinky ones!

prosopon

I think it also depends on how long the smell lasts.  I can most likely handle something strong or unpleasant if I know the smell will go away.

DesertRose0706

[ Edited ]

Definetely.  If the smell is bad i'm not going to use it, because i'm going to be able to smell it all day.  And smelling an unpleasant smell for a long period of time can put you in a bad mood!

Meg82

It depends how strong the smell is. a faint distasteful smell is no big deal but anything moderate to severe would probably make me stop using it unless it was a really amazing product.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 35 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • prosopon
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt
    • beautylovingirl