Do customers have responsibilities too?

pinkonyx

Do customers have responsibilities too?

Hello BEAUTYTALK i was thinking today, we always post on here our expectations of company's, but do you believe there is certain responsibilities for customers towards company's / sales associates? Do you think there isn't any and that customer is king? I was at a certain beauty store and noticed a customer brushing her hair with a brush then putting it back just to grab the one behind it!? So is there a code of conduct for customers as well?

ladymeag

Re: Do customers have responsibilities too?

Customers should:

Pay promptly, with payment methods they know have the available fund necessary to make the purchase. 
Treat the in-store for-purchase products like produce at the grocery store, handle it carefully, treat it nicely, and know that if you put it back someone else will be buying it so don't tear the packaging/drop it and not say anything. (And if you try it, you buy it. That's what testers are for! No testers? Find a store with a good return policy.) 
Treat the in-store testers nicely - clean them before and after use and put them back in the appropriately labeled slots (I can't tell you how many times I've rearranged a rack of testers as a customer because none were in the right place!) 
Be reasonably patient with store employees, understand the limitations of their power, and give the respect you get. If you don't like a policy, the answer is not berating store employees or customer service, it's filing a reasonable complaint and then taking your business elsewhere if it's a deal breaker. You don't have to be quiet about it but there's no need to be mean, abusive, or just plain rude to people likely working for minimum wage who are trying to help you.
Being respectful of the employees at the register or helping you also means hanging up the phone, doing what you can to free up your hands, keeping your kids/friends in check (and if they won't behave, leaving the store and coming back at another time - I say this as a parent, folks.) 

Be _honest_ about returns, used products, promotions, and so forth. If you didn't like it, say so. If it was broken, say so. But don't say it was broken because you didn't like it. 

I don't see anything wrong with looking without intent to buy but don't tie up a sales associate if you're not going to buy - tell them you're happy on your own and window shop to your heart's content. You can even say, "I'm just window shopping today, thanks though!" 

pinkonyx

I think customers should be patient, especially during busy times.

I think customers should not be so distracted on the phone they wont even respond to the associate trying to ask them important questions.

I think customers should remember there is other customers and be considerate.

Also never belittle or snap unfairly at sales associates.

Teresaanne92

Working in retail myself, I feel like customers SHOULD take the more responsible approach. I.E, follow basic rules of respect- don't steal, don't ruin things that aren't yours, treat each other and associates with respect. But also things that really tend to make me wonder about people are when customers 'look' around with no intention of buying and completely ruin displays, shelves, products, etc. Or when people try to destroy a company's property- dismembering signs, writing on things (the worst is when people take lipsticks, lipglosses, eyeliner, etc, and physically DRAW on the displays with them. Wastes product and ruins a pricey sign or display.) I really do understand wanting to serve the customer, but customers should also respect a product and company. Just my opinion though! Of course not EVERYONE is that way, you just get the few oddballs. :smileywink:

AllyKatVA

Amen! It is one thing to look around and not buy (been there, done that), but do NOT make a mess if you are not buying. Do not make a mess period, but especially if you are not making it worth cleaning up after you!

I had a lady threaten to cough on me (after saying her family had the flu) when I told her she was past the return date and could only exchange or get a store credit. True story.

Also, do not leave used tissues, etc. around the store or stuffed behind product. It is unhygienic and disgusting.

For the love of heaven, if the top sweater is already unfolded, do not unfold the one right under it. And do not unfold the same sweater in every color!!!

It all comes down to the usual: do not do anything you would not want done to you, do not make a mess you would not be willing to clean up, and treat others as you would have them treat you!

lilyyy

The customer definitely has a responsibility to ensure that their payment and delivery information is correct. So many complainers on facebook clicked order and accept to the wrong address and get then angry when Sephora ships to it!

kssweetheart

I cannot believe that someone would actually do that, (well, I can believe it, I do believe it,but you know what I mean) Guess she never heard of Lice. Why would you use a brush that God only knows who else might have used? and then put it back and take another. People are strange and I think she had a lot of nerve, Strange......and nasty.

pinkonyx

When i used to work at Ulta i saw customers paint there nails, all 10 of them and then put back the polish. Ive seen more than one person use a brush then put it back. MY FAVORITE ONE, ive seen customers break nail polish, and then leave the GLASS SHATTERS and spilled polish there and not tell a an associate. What if someone slips, or cuts them self. Also i had a customer say she wanted to punch my associate because my girl didn't respond quick enough when the customer "summoned her". 

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

People are crazy! and rude and obnoxious and inconsiderate.......etc.....

It all goes back to: Treat others as you would have them treat you. Pretty basic, not rocket science. Just takes a little common sense. It amazes me that people will use brushes & put them back.

Then the story about breaking a bottle of nail polish and just leaving.

Guess that would be considered "Breaking and Exiting" (vs breaking and entering) Ba-dump-bump. :smileytongue:

Saying she wanted to punch your associate! Is she crazy? Do you think that's like a case of nature vs nurture? Do you think that maybe they weren't raised properly and just don't know better? I don't know that's hard to justify away and I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt but some things are just a bit too extreme, even for me.

kssweetheart

Gosh, I just thought of two doozies that I experience when I was working part-time at a shoes store (btw Amazing Discount, It was wonderful)

Do you know how sometimes there will be a box of little peds at the register for you to use when trying things on? I saw people actually reach in and take a handful and put them in their purse, right in front of my face. I still can't believe it.

The other is really a doozie too. There were people who would go over to the Knee Highs and Stockings display and take a brand new package of knee highs, open them, use them to try on shoes and either leave them there or Shove Them in there Pocketbooks!! Holy Guacamole lady.....Stealing much? Some people did it in a sneaky way while others didn't even care. I really didn't know how to react, I'm not good with confrontations so I didn't say anything. I did mention it to my manager and she said "don't even bother saying anything, you're so tiny they might just try to pummel you to death and I couldn't live with that" How sweet is that? She was a great lady, always brings a smile to my face when I think of her. :smileyhappy: Thanks for making me think of her. So, if nothing else, at least we got something good out of all of that bad. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

glad i could jog your memory!

smallpio

[ Edited ]

I think that the customer code of conduct should be a basic human code of conduct. Wasting products that aren't yours is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Lashing out at an employee who was not harming you in any way is wrong.

Customers don't have a right to harm the company, the employees, or other customers in any way. But we don't have a responsibility to benefit the company beyond our shopping, either. 

kssweetheart

Good answer smallpio!! :smileyhappy:

LuckyWinter

Personally yes, I feel like the customer still got a bit of things to do. I would say mostly "common sense" stuff. as don't open new products etc. But I feel like the company got most of the responsibilities, but then its just me :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 220 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • swanbeauty