pinkonyx

Do customers have responsibilities too?

Hello BEAUTYTALK i was thinking today, we always post on here our expectations of company's, but do you believe there is certain responsibilities for customers towards company's / sales associates? Do you think there isn't any and that customer is king? I was at a certain beauty store and noticed a customer brushing her hair with a brush then putting it back just to grab the one behind it!? So is there a code of conduct for customers as well?

evno

Re: Do customers have responsibilities too?

[ Edited ]

(Reading all of these horror stories is strangely addicting. :smileytongue: ) Here's a pet peeve of mine while working retail: I'm folding clothing piles on tables, but a customer comes along and topples the pile over. Or pulls a shirt out from the middle of the pile. Repeat. I'm standing right next to him/her, and I ask, "Can I help you find anything?" which means, "I can get your size for you without messing up the pile." Unfortunately, most people just ignore me and continue, canceling out hours of me standing and folding those piles. Then, half of those people don't end up trying or buying the stuff they pulled. 

Even though it seems so little and stupid, I think it's obnoxious! One of my major jobs is to keep those tables looking neat and organized so people will want to and be able to find a nice shirt. The whole table is not your oyster, customer, other people need to find stuff, too. 

It's really a give-and-take relationship between the shop and shopper. The shop needs to be at service for the shopper, but the shopper needs to recognize that it is service, not servitude. 

Another funny story. I was neatening up a very high rack of sweaters, and a customer asks me to get down a sweater in size large because she couldn't reach. I get it down.

Me: Here you go! (Cheery is my name.)

She: Is this small?

Me: No, it's large. (I'm smiling.)

She: Medium?

Me: It's large. (Maybe she didn't hear me?)

She: Large?

Me: Yes, it's large. (I show her the tag.)

She: Large?

Me: Yes, it's la--

She: (snatches the sweater and marches away)

Me: ..... ?????

shoppiturt

I have to confess to sometimes messing up the pile! T^ T I do try to restack the clothes because my size is usually on the bottom, or refold something, but sometimes it just doesn't happen >O< Sorry!

evno

(0) Hearts

Awww, don't worry about it! I'm just pointing out people that aren't as nice as you about it <3

melde

relax-were-all-crazy-its-not-a-competition.jpg

Unfortunately people don't always have good manners, on both sides. I think if people used common sense and good manners, 90% of problems would disappear. That brush thing is gross.... who would do that??

ChicDabbler

The thing is everyone have different idea of common sense and good manners. I know that in China you don't tip. When I first came here I never tip and I don't understand why you would shell out 15% more than what you should pay. My friend explained it to me then I started tipping everybody. Once I tipped the girl at a fast food restaurant and she was so happy that she ran out after me to say thank you with a big smile. Now I tip the appropriate amount in appropriate situation (I hope).

Heatoyos1

[ Edited ]

Yes, there is no tipping in Japan. And no extra tax. Or at least, it is already included in the price. When I visit Japan, I love that I don't have to try to calculate. :smileyhappy:

Loricaaa

Very interesting! I'm originally from Croatia and it's the same over there too. You don't tip. My parents and older Croats aren't used to leaving a tip and I remember them having the same reaction when they moved to the US. I was ten when I moved to the US, so I grew up with the mentality that you should leave a tip. I had a reverse experience when I visited Croatia and asked my cousin how much do I tip and she just gave me a blank stare.

itscarin

(0) Hearts

Great example about how etiquette varies.  I believe in tipping 20% at restaurants, and for personal services such as hair cuts, massages, facials, etc.  I had this convo with a friend once and she told me she tipped 15% and she thought that was being generous.  :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I do remember reading a while back that 15% is the norm. 20% for good and 10% for bad so that's what I follow. It also depends on what friends I'm hanging out with, most go with 15%, occasionally someone will go with 20%, but it's difficult to get some of my Asian friends, especially those who haven't been in US long, to tip more than 10%. It's not that they are rude, just different custom. It's like if you are used to tipping 20% and I told you the norm is actually 35%, most may be hesitant.

sbowden

Working in retail has been the best for me, because I know to treat other retail workers the way I myself want to be treated.  

However, this doesn't stop me from being assertive when I know something is BS or isn't right.  Could be the legal studies major in me, but I often stand up for myself if I know I've been wronged.  

So I think it comes down to: be respectful and courteous, but assertive when it is necessary.  

bratknits

Try having free food samples to put out and keep safe and sanitary.  I've come to the conclusion that half the public was raised by wolves and the other half escaped from some state facility.  This year the prize is take by the woman with the $3,000 handbag who was in such a rush to stuff as much free food as possible in her face in as short a time as possible that she missed and shoved something quite spicy up her nose.

Panda168

I have worked retail for many years and people still amaze me. Some people, I feel, treat me as though I am beneath them because I work retail. While others are super friendly and respectful. 

As far as it goes with clients or customers trying products and then putting them back to get another one, like your brush example, I think that's just plain rude. I do understand why they do it, but I am sure the next person doesn't want a stranger's hair on their hair brush. Also, there are people who will open a new product to test when there is clearly a tester right in front of them. 

I agree with what another BI posted about common courtesy, but the issue is that people have different versions of what they think is common courtesy and common sense, and also of what they think is acceptable. 

janinebt

Obviously I have been on both sides of the field, a customer and a client. Generally when I have a frustrating situation, whether it's Comcast messing something up or me not getting an additional coupon added to a purchase that I made, I always try to put myself in the reps shoes.

Mistakes happen, regardless of if it is that person's fault or not. Usually I try my best not to lash my frustration out on them, because at the end of the day we are all human and have feelings too. I also always try to make an effort to say something along the lines of 'thanks so much for your help' or 'the company needs more people like you' if they really do make an effort to get something resolved for me. It makes their days a bit brighter :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
swanbeauty

(0) Hearts

I 100% agree here... Everyone makes mistakes.  And you should always treat employees and customers with respect.  For me, it is how a person or a company recovers from their mistakes that really shows intentions.  An apology (if sincere) will go 1000 miles to making someone feel better, but the best thing is to try and fix the situation as fast as possible WITHOUT pointing fingers and playing the blame game.  Who cares?  Let's just get it fixed!!

Customer's responsibility is to treat employees with respect.... and that age old rule of treating people how you would be treated and treat things as if they were yours.  Would you like a stranger using your hair brush, or putting their fingers in your makeup?

thesupergirl

If you sent someone to shop for you make extra sure they know what they are getting for you. Example I work in a drugstore and was covering my coworker lunch break ( she works the front register) a lady came in with a note asking for cigerettes  she said which ones she wanted paid and left an hour later a different lady came in to return them saying she sent someone and they got her the wrong ones I called the manager and he told her its our policy that we do returns on cigarettes. So what did she do yell at me from the top of her lungs that I sold her friend the wrong ones my mistake was saying I didnt sell the wrong ones she asked for those. Big mistake. She literally almost punched me! My manager told her to never come back.

LCResz

- phone reps are not CEOs for the company, so venting to them may make you feel better but it makes the phone rep feel totally helpless. If you realize that the phone rep is out there in the trenches, dealing with customer after customer, and can only do what he/she is empowered to do lest risk getting fired, your attitude on the phone will change and the service you receive will be stellar 99 times out of a 100. Not every phone rep genuinely cares even if you are being a rational person, but I find this attitude to be the exception to the rule.

- complaints should be couched in certain principles:

1) Be clear about why are you disappointed. Randomly saying you hate something is never productive and makes you sound like a viper that strikes at anything that moves. However if you can articulate why you are displeased then you allow others to come up with an executable plan of action to ameliorate the situation.

2) Realize you are one person on a planet of over 6 billion, you are not so unique that a company would create a vendetta against you. Stating that a phone rep or an entire brand hates you and purposefully tries to ruin your day makes you sound like a crazy person to someone who hasn't been following your saga. I am not saying that it is impossible to believe a company can target a person, but I am saying that most of the time what you perceive as a personal slight is probably something that is happening to a lot of people, so instead of making it all about you try to band together with others in your situation and create a case that can be escalate en masse with a result that would benefit EVERYBODY not just you.

3) The Golden Rule: learn it, live it, own it.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Niccccce!    A   1, 2, 3 person, love it and well said.

BTW, I notice the  " I was fired from Sephora" thread has been removed.

joeanne

Very well said. I agree with you 100 percent!

IttyxBittyxMe

I never believed in the motto "The customer is always right", then I worked in speciality retail (at a large chain bridal shop) and I REALLY stopped believing in the customer is always right. 

As a customer, a few things need to be realized:

1. If the lines are long, it's not the associates fault

2. If a product you want is out of stock, it's not the associates fault

3. Unless the associate is talking to/at you in a way that you don't approve of, being pushy and trying to make you buy something you have started you don't want, or is ignoring you when the store is empty NOTHING STOCK RELATED IS THEIR FAULT. 

The world, the store, and the stock of an item do not revolve around you. You are not entitled to anything, makeup is not a NEED as you will not die without it, it's a want. 

jrah822

Amen.

At my store (an underwear retailer), we keep a list of product requests so that when something comes in that was previously OOS we can call the customer who needs it. Over Black Friday, a woman came in looking for some of our tanks that we had on special for $10. Long story short, we practice 100% satisfaction so we took her name and told her we would honor the $10 pricing whenever the tanks came in.

A week or so later, I called her to let her know we got a tank in for her, and that I'd be more than happy to hold it in the back until she could get in. A few days later, she showed up and asked for the "tanks." I went out back and got the ONE tank for her (the ONLY one we received in the shipment). It was as if I had personally done something to offend her. She demanded to speak with a manager, because she had clearly asked us to order her "five" tanks and we only ordered one.

I explained that I was the manager, and that on the store level we have absolutely no control over ordering product for the store. I was there on Black Friday, and said, as nicely as I could, that we had written down her request exactly as she had said it-- "Just call me when you get some in." I told her I could order four more of the product online and have it shipped to her house, but that I couldn't honor the $10 price online.

She actually said, "You're a liar. There's no way you don't order your own stock, how else would have all this here, and you're also not the manager." I know I'm 23, but I do not look young for my age. Sigh. Oh well. You do what you can do.

At least during the holidays I'm able to keep in mind that people are just so stressed out from everything holiday-related and sometimes will take any opportunity to take it out on something/someone else.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 220 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • swanbeauty