pinkonyx

Do customers have responsibilities too?

Hello BEAUTYTALK i was thinking today, we always post on here our expectations of company's, but do you believe there is certain responsibilities for customers towards company's / sales associates? Do you think there isn't any and that customer is king? I was at a certain beauty store and noticed a customer brushing her hair with a brush then putting it back just to grab the one behind it!? So is there a code of conduct for customers as well?

jellybean917

Re: Do customers have responsibilities too?

For several years, I worked at my grandpa's grocery store in the "rich" part of town. It was awful. Most of the customers just had this horrible sense of entitlement and would blame me - the cashier - for everything. My motto had to be: let the customer think they're right.

I would imagine working in a bridal shop might be even worse. Bridezillas!

joeanne

I definitely think customers need to show the sales associates, the merchandise and the entire store a level of common courtesy. Who hasn't been aggravated by long lines, out of stock items, etc. but what amazes me is the way people deal with it. 

Blaming the sales associate or yelling at them does absolutely nothing except makes you look like a bully in front of the other customers (except for those who would do the same thing). But being courteous and actually talking TO and not AT the sales associate can reap some wonderful rewards. I've had more than one SA go out of their way for me when I couldn't find an item in my size or color (they'll check other stores and have it sent to my store), or forgot a coupon (they have an extra! and look, another 10 percent one too!), etc.

I may not always walk out of the store with what I want, but at least I didn't raise anyone's blood pressure!

ProperIntro

Yes, treat people the same way you would like to be treated!  Don't leave your rubbish around and if you drop something like nail polish talk to a worker...

My friends dropped Nars Andy Warhol Nail Polish all over the the ground and ran away, laughing, I was so pissed off and they left me hanging as if I was the one who did it and I just went to a worker to apologize for my friends and to clean the mess.  

Heatoyos1

[ Edited ]

I have worked in customer service for years and also in a call center for three years. However, even if I hadn't, I still think that I would be courteous to sales associates. 

I always wait patiently in long lines (I just surf the internet on my phone while I wait, and put the phone away when there are only two people ahead of me); keep a pleasant look on my face (keeping a pleasant, patient look on my face helps me to stay patient inside, and it doesn't help anyone, including myself, if I look impatient or annoyed); I always wait for the cashier to call me up instead of rushing up to their counter immediately after the previous customer has left (sometimes the cashier needs to finish putting money away, place a return on a rack, etc.); I also like to make small talk with the cashiers (asking them about their day, hoping that their shift is almost over, etc.); and I also like to genuinely compliment them (if a girl has a striking color of eyeliner, or pretty nail polish, I'll mention it). 

Most cashiers have appreciated this, like they are being treated like an actual human being and not being ignored or mistreated. It honestly does not take any extra time nor much extra effort to be pleasant and interested in others. 

I was checking out at a dollar store yesterday, and asked the young woman who was my cashier how her day was and told her that I hoped her shift ended soon. She told me that she works two jobs and goes to school. It turns out that she goes to the school I work for, and I encouraged her to apply for financial aid and told her where to find out more information. And she said that she would do just that. I hope that she does.

shortstuff07

There's a few things, but the worst that's happened lately(bear in mind I work at a major competitor for Sephora, so I'm sure this has happened there):

A woman came in to get her make up done by one of the artists.  Upon completion of her make up, she announced she had pink eye.  They had to toss EVERYTHING used on her, as it's just so contagious and not worth the public risk.  Seriously, grow a brain.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

This sounds like something that would happen in my town,in fact this week I was checking a lady out in pharmacy and she asked to speak to the Pharmist  when he came over she said I have pink eye and my dr says I need to stay home but it's bingo night! I kept telling her if she didn't want anyone else to get it she needs to stay home.

IllegallyBlonde

what the heck?! why is she even getting her makeup done with pink eye. to make it worse?

i refuse to believe she was really that stupid.

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

Honestly, it seems to be a local thing.  When I was in school, we had camera and lighting equipment available for off campus use, (keep in mind it's a photography program), and a student had pink eye, checked out one of the most used cameras, and then told a teacher AFTER he turned it back in.  She asked him if he realized how contagious pink eye was, and he didn't seem too phased.  People generally really only concern themselves with what immediately benefits them, not how it will affect someone else around here.  I'm sure the teacher would have made alternative arrangements had they known about the pink eye.  But yes, I really do believe she was either that stupid or that selfish.  

AllyKatVA

Sadly, probably a people thing. I sometimes kick myself for certain behaviors or comments after the fact, but I sincerely hope I am never so offensive that other people remember it long after the fact (or long enough to write about me on a chat board). I wish I did not believe the pink eye or other stories, but truth really is stranger than fiction, and I have seen too much NOT to believe.

When I was 16, I got pink eye, and I called out of my work shifts for two days because that was how long my doctor said I would be contagious. You would not believe the attitude I got, and one supervisor could not believe that I was taking off Friday AND Saturday! I was a cashier, did they really want me giving everyone at Best Buy pink eye??? People are dumb on both sides of the counter.

Teresaanne92

I previously worked at Sears and they got majorly irritated when I called in for pink eye! Like it was my fault. I was out 4-5 days (on-base military doctors like us to stay out longer then we need to be on the safe side. lol), not because I wanted to but because I didn't want to pass around pink eye (and probably get it again! lol)

mommyto4

I work with two of the rudest girls in the world.  I was telling them about being in Target with two grumpy kids and having to walk back across the store to put an item back, what a pain it was.  One said, "Oh just put it anywhere, a worker will put it away for you."  I said that I thought that was rude.  She said, "Why?  It's job security for them."

I can't stand people like this,  it's disgusting how some people treat others. 

shortstuff07

That makes me crazy!  What if it's the last of that item on the shelf, and someone else needs it, but the SA can't find it because they've left  it in the most random spot in the store?!  Ugh.

IllegallyBlonde

The one thing that irks me more than anything else are the (rare) times I've heard a customer throw a fit that ends with "I want that employee fired!" (Or something along those lines.)

If the employee had done something extreme, I understand (maybe). But you never know what is going on in someones life, why they need that job, what it would actually mean for them to be out of work. Am i saying that everybody deserves their jobs regardless of how they treat people? No. But thinking that you personally are just SO important of a customer that stores should base who they keep in their employ for you is just....ughhh there are no words.

shortstuff07

My boyfriend was working a second job this summer, delivering Indian food.  He was out doing a delivery, and while at the door, a blind woman asked if she was at the church yet.  Being my darling southern gentleman, he walked her to the church as the sidewalk was very broken up and required crossing a street.  Upon his return to finish the transaction with the woman who had ordered, she threw a terrible fit, called his boss, and asked that he be fired in front of her.  His boss didn't comply for good reason, but the nerve of that woman still irks me to this day.

Cyll

Working in retail for over four years has taught me a lot. One thing that really annoys me is when a customer comes up to your till and is talking on there phone.

I also got annoyed when a customer would pay and I would have my hand out for them to put the money in and they stick it all over the counter. Like, thanks a lot jacka**! I don't know why people do this. You wouldn't expect the cashier to give you your change back and slide it on the counter towards you. No. They stick it in your hands. Lastly. Shoppers.. Customers.. Stand up for the sales associates if you see they are being abused by another customer!!!

Most stores try to enforce "the customer is always right" and allow there employees to get walked all over.

The best thing any customer can do is stop another customer who is verbally attacking a "defenseless" employee. I say defenseless because they generally aren't allowed to stand up for themselves if the customer is rude to them or says/does something. If you see something than stand up for the employee. It public humiliates the customer who thinks they can get away with treating someone crappy while the person being bullied can't say anything back without fearing the loss of there job.

itscarin

Oh my god, I hate it when cashiers put the money in my hand!  Seriously, it's my pet peeve.  It doesn't always get handed back to me in the order in which I want to place it in my wallet, so I have to jam it into my wallet uncomfortably and I'm being rushed to get out of the way for the next customer when I just want like 15 seconds to make sure all my 1s, 5s, etc are in order and the change goes in the coin purse.  Ahhhhh!

SugaredMagnolia

You want them to slow things down by putting it on the counter? That's generally considered rude in retail because it wastes time.

Cyll

Agreed @SugaredMagnolia. Rude and unproductive.

Imagine being in a drive threw and they put the money on the window sill for you haha.

Realistically, when the cashier gives you your change it is in some form of order.

doriangray

(0) Hearts

You know, I feel like I stick my neck out in a lot of situations to help or protect other people but I've never thought of telling another customer to back off or calm down.  Thank you for bringing it up.  

Cyll

It always works. People don't like to be confronted by someone who is "allowed" to defend themselves. That's why bullies prey on those who can't defend themselves. Just think of the customer as a bully who is picking on an associate who really can't say much. I always stood up for myself but when I worked retail I was a student and really didn't care about loosing my job. If my human rights were being violated I stood up for myself.

Even if you stand up for a SA and the customer starts attacking you or demands a manager, the manager will believe the SA and the customer who says the other customer was rude and generally this is a good way to get that customer banned from the store.

doriangray

-Give the company a chance to fix a mistake before slamming them in a review or online.  It's okay to complain to the company, often I think they prefer it so they can know what to fix, but be clear about what you want.  Don't make them deal with emotions or vent.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 220 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • swanbeauty