pinkonyx

Do customers have responsibilities too?

Hello BEAUTYTALK i was thinking today, we always post on here our expectations of company's, but do you believe there is certain responsibilities for customers towards company's / sales associates? Do you think there isn't any and that customer is king? I was at a certain beauty store and noticed a customer brushing her hair with a brush then putting it back just to grab the one behind it!? So is there a code of conduct for customers as well?

doriangray

Re: Do customers have responsibilities too?

-The politeness we expect from SAs should certainly go both ways.  Especially around the holidays, be patient and understanding and don't blame them for things that are out of their control.  Same with customer service reps, it can be a hugely demoralizing experience, the way a lot of people treat them.  

-Practice hygiene and good manners with the testers!  The things these eyes have seen...

lonerchick

Customers do whatever they want because of that stupid saying "the customer is always right". They are rarely right in my experience. And now they like to threaten to call the local news station when they do not get their way. A man actually wanted me to look up the number for the news station that investigates customer complaints because we would not cash a $5000 check for a non customer.

Customer service sucks.

BeautyJunkie325

Of course we do, in reading message boards, BT and Facebook quite a few customers expectations are unrealistic.  Common curtesy is almost unheard of.  The last time I was out shopping there was a long line to check out at a department store. They had 4 different people ringing up purchases and bagging.  Of course everyone was loaded down with items and the woman behind me complained the entire time and was snotty to the cashier when she finally made it to the register. As if it was the cashiers fault that so many people were checking out at the same time. 

kalex

She was definitely out of line for being rude to the cashier.  It's the manager who does the scheduling for Pete's sake.  Not having enough cashiers scheduled at this time of year is bad customer service though and drives me nuts.  The other day JCP only had 3 cashiers.  While standing in line I called their Customer Service number and asked them to send more cashiers to the front.  One more person came up.  I did not fill out a happy survey that day but I was still nice to my cashier!

pinkonyx

you would be surprised though, like at my store we received no extra hours during Christmas time, so there is no extra help. Its often the companies fault for being cheap and not wanting to pay extra people. Trust me my manager begged for more hours, that we did not receive. 

kalex

(0) Hearts

The surveys and comments submitted through the website typically go to the "top guys" right?  Not to the store managers but the head honchos making the decisions?

Teresaanne92

Agreed! We are now open and hour earlier and stay open an hour later then usual and we got NO extra hours given to us by the company for holiday or anything. Sometimes, the store just has to make due. :smileysad:

AllyKatVA

When I worked at a luxury beauty boutique, it was always interesting comparing the "extra" hours different stores in our area received. A year or two ago, our store that was actually IN DC, in Georgetown, that was the first one to open in the area, the tenth to open in the US, was actually allocated LESS hours than the store in Reston, VA. It is a nice store, but it is in the suburbs, is a lower volume store, and was open less hours during the week. Someone at corporate (or our DM, I do not know who had final say) apparently had math issues. Our employees were paid better than most, but corporate was plenty stingy with the hours. Then they told you to make sure you had enough coverage and to add extra shifts if needed. Though if you did add shifts and you did not blow goal out of the water (and even when you did, sometimes), you were expected to cut hours somewhere else. Because single coverage for extended periods works SO well during the holidays. All corporate decision makers should have to work as lowly associates every other month. You would see a lot of changes!

lilyyy

If the line too long, I politely left and take my money elsewhere. It sends a message to the store without being rude to anyone.

pinkonyx

thats what i do too, i just leave. 

evno

Oof. I work retail, and it's been so enlightening working at the other end of the shop. I used to think that I had to be assertive and persistent to "fight" for my own in the shopping sphere, but now, I know that asking nicely is a better approach. I honestly can't count how many headaches and inner cringing moments I had when a customer thought I was being dishonest. Please, it is in the store's benefit to have everything in stock and neat. Also, if I say it's store policy, I'm not making it up. I want to make you happy so you'll come back, but there's only so much I can do.

SugaredMagnolia

I feel like I can share something I saw this week at my Sephora that made me really uncomfortable, but the SAs handled it with complete grace.

I went into the store for a new eyeshadow brush. I had a little help from the manager and went to check out. While I was waiting, a woman can marching up to the desk and loudly announced that she needed some samples. There was a lot going on at the desk and I guess the SAs didn't hop to help her quickly enough because she made the announcement again and someone went off to help her.

When I was walking out, she was getting loaded up with perfume samples. I never ask for perfume samples...it seems like a pain in the neck for the SAs to make them and there always seem to be samples coming in the mail.

Anyway, I happened to go back the next day to have my makeup done for a party and the same lady came back and did the same thing! She was still there when I left.

It made me think about how much time I spend monopolizing an SA...and I wondered if every store deals with people like this which might be why there have been threads on BT in the past about stores not making samples.

pinkonyx

unfortunately every store has "that customer" the pushy demanding, give me coupons and samples customer!

SugaredMagnolia

(0) Hearts

Just over the weekend, there was a thread about someone who was short on money and went from store to store to get samples of her favorite products. 

The thread is gone, so I am assuming it didn't go too well.

kalex

I wish there was a customer code of conduct. I waitressed all through high school and briefly after graduating and was always appalled by the messes people allowed their children to make.  You know they didn't allow their kids to pulverize crackers at home, yet it's ok at the restaurant because I was going to clean it up for your $2 tip?  As a parent  I always cleaned up pieces off the floor when my kids were littler (every parent knows that one swipe of their little arm sends everything flying off the high chair tray) and I always got thanked by the employees.

Later working at a bank I was yelled at more times than I can count.  How on earth is it the bankers fault if you spent more money than you had?  A good rule of thumb is to be nice to the person you want to help you.  If it's up to me to decide whether or not to refund your overdraft fees don't scream at me that I'm "stealing your money".  It will not make me want to help you.  Oh Lord, the stories I have from working in banking...

pinkonyx

Kalex thank you for bringing the issue of children up. At my current job, i have seen parents walk in to my store and then forget they have kids, (and my store sells chemicals!) So there kid is running around opening stuff, using stuff and the parents don't care. I have to be honest  in my area at my store about half of the parents that come in DO NOT WATCH THERE KIDS! Why have kids if you don't want to be a parent? One time a mom was not watching her kid and the kid drank a bottle of hair color!!!!!! the kid was okay but tell me how after she knew the kid was okay she continued letting him run around the store. 

lovinglondon

I think everyone deserves a standard level of common courtesy; Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Some of the behaviors mentioned in here are just disgusting and it gives you perspective when you think of why some associates can be mean or harsh. I hated working in retail for this very reason.

carolang

I definitely have my own set of internal standards, but I think some people take it too far. I would never return a completely or mostly used product and say it did not work. I've only returned one thing to Sephora and I feel really bad about even that! So I try to research everything the best I can before I invest. My husband worked in retail (men's suits/ties) for a while before going back to school. Said store has a fabulous return policy. That being said, they would get returns of clothes that were worn many times over and years old. I do not agree with that at all. I would personally be embarrassed to do that.

shaynaj4

Excellent topic! As consumers, I think we have responsibilities too. Your post brings Macy's to mind as a place where I previously loved to shop, but currently avoid at all costs. The shoe and clothing departments are horrendous, as customers seem to just toss items they do not wish to purchase anywhere they want. The thought that someone would use a brush and then put it back without taking a moment to hand it to a sales associate and let them know that they used it in my opinion, is shameful and disgusting. I also think some shoppers can do a better job at treating sales associates and other customers with respect. For example, if you see an associate assisting another customer, don't stalk them people! It makes for a very tense shopping experience when another customer is peering over your shoulder, anxiously waiting their turn to speak to the associate. Be polite and wait, or go find somebody else to help you. Especially around the holidays, a little etiquette and respect can go a long way and improve everyone's experience. 

PoesRevy

Yes!

Much of it is simply being respectful of others and mindful towards property that does not belong to you (until paid for, in the case of retail).

....what you saw with a customer brushing her hair with a 'for sale' brush then placing it back - is just plain wrong. Last I knew, the display for those items do not have testers. Yuck!

pinkonyx

the kicker is she put it back and grabbed the one behind it to buy!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 75 replies
  • 220 hearts
  • 41 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • swanbeauty