joeanne

Dear BT; Chin Up, I still love you

Oh dear, where to start? Poor BT, we talk about you like you have a life of your own, yet you are here to let all of us express ourselves.

I remember when I first discovered you. It had to be at least 8 years ago. I barely knew what Sephora was, but hear was a place where I could post questions about makeup and skincare and other people would answer me? And I didn't even have to buy anything from Sephora? And I could talk about other stuff too? And get to know other people and have some fun? What magic was this?

At first I mostly lurked and read posts, but then I got brave and asked a few questions, and people replied to me! So I asked more questions. And I answered questions. And I offered my opinion. And the rest is history.

But my poor BeautyTalk. The internet has grown, and I guess we have become jaded. Many do not find you the magical place I found so long ago.  You have become the place where we can complain about Sephora and complain about you! Are you perfect? Of course not. But I'm no fool. There are rules. I play by house rules. I would really like heart parties on the main page, but I don't speak for everyone, and I don't make the rules, so that's cool. And yes, I do have the option of going elsewhere. And I do buy from Ulta, Nordies, and other places when they have better sales!

But they don't have anything like BeautyTalk.  And I do appreciate that Sephora has given me a place where I can talk about stuff even if it doesn't have to do with Sephora - sure, sales at Ulta or any other website, no problem. Any makeup or skincare that Sephora doesn't carry - post away. I think that's pretty cool.

I love all the friends I've made on BT and I'm not blaming anyone - heck, I've complained along with others. I just think we kinda started to think that BT was "ours" but in reality, it belongs to lots of people and not everyone wants the same things. So I, for one, am going to try to make BT the place it was when I first arrived. A friendly place where everyone was welcome and if you had an issue, you just messaged a mod or scrolled right past that message. Cause right after the message you don't like is a message you're gonna love.

notcreative

Re: Dear BT; Chin Up, I still love you

Great thread.  My first post only came less than a year ago, 07-12-13, but then I lurked for a while before I became super active.  Everything was better when it was on the main page.  It stinks that we are days late to heart parties at times because we sometimes forget to venture over to no man's land.  Whenever I do not want to see something I always quote Dory and, "I just keep swimming, just keep swimming."  It is sad that some cannot adopt the same philosophy.  I do love BT and the majority of BTers.  This is a great community with mostly good apples.

joeanne

Couldn't agree more! It's great that you are super active because your threads, and those of others with your philosophy, are what's bringing back the "original" BeautyTalk!

And like you said, sometimes we gotta "just keep swimming......"

BuxomBabe80

So well said, Joeanne! I'm relatively new to BT. When I first started reading the boards, everything seemed full of rainbows and butterflies. But as I continued to read more and post more, I started to notice there are some total drama queens on the boards. People who love to make snippy and rude comments and who love to police everyone (or at least everyone but their besties). It's sad that there are cliques in BT. But I've noticed it for sure. But like you said, you get out of BT what you put into it. I make positive comments and just vent to my BF or a friend at work when I see people act like middle school b****'s. I try not to comment and add fuel to the fire. Ladies, we can do better! Save the drama for your llama. 

llama.jpg

joeanne

Yes, we've had our ups and downs here, but I think the majority of BTers really want this to be a forum where everyone is welcome!

That is one funky llama lol!

BuxomBabe80

He's fabulous!!

daisies121

The-Notebo_clip64.gif

ghkim

oh my goodness, that looks like it would hurt! i hope that poor lady still has all her teeth.

notcreative

I think Jessica Alba actually chipped a tooth in a movie when she had a kissing scene with Dane Cook, so it happens.  If it has to happen though, please let it be someone like Ryan!

lovinglondon

Haha. I'm probably one of the few women on earth that didn't really care for this film. I didn't hate it or anything but it did nothing for me. I remember watching it with my roommates in college. They were all bawling at the end and I was like... really?  

gogreyhound

um,. yeah! precisely! I see there are still thousands of people here, and we are still going strong. There will be good and bad anywhere you go...you gotta  focus on the positive and let the bad roll off...

tashalicious

you really put things in perspective , good post :smileyhappy:

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

quixotic

Joeanne - 

Thank you for such a well-written, well-thought out, and heartfelt post!

joeanne

Thank you for the beautiful heart tree!

heartsmyface

image.jpg

Well put! I love it here! BT may not be ours but the friends we make here are. i really hope things don't change! Of course they're going to change but I've read comments on how BT used to be way better and much friendlier. It must have been soooooo rainbow friendly before because i find it super friendly NOW. 

waterbaby1981

(0) Hearts

Just loving the Rainbow Dash salute.  She's my favorite.

joeanne

I love the picture! I've always found BT to be a friendly place. I just think you get out of it what you put into it. So I'm hoping to post more and have more fun!

makeupobesessed

I agree.  Bt doesnt belong to any one of us.  There are rules, and its not our job to police them.  

Well said!

joeanne

Thank you. BT doesn't belong to any of us, but we can all work together to make BT a great place!

blushnglow

I feel like such the newbie that I actually am as I would like to post a pretty picture of hearts like LariTheLoud did for you in appreciation for sharing your opinion in such a positive and well-thought out post.  Very well said so thank you.:smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • daisies121
    • quixotic
    • waterbaby1981
    • makeupobesessed
    • joeanne