beautylovingirl

DO YOU HIDE THE EVIDENCE?

Hey Girls.,

So I see a lot of no buy threads and it made me start thinking about do any of you ever hide the receipt or the bag from purchases you've made that you don't want your husband or boyfriend to see? My husband doesn't say anything now but when we were first married your hearing from a the number one receipt and bad hiding champion. LOL!

waterbaby1981

Re: DO YOU HIDE THE EVIDENCE?

I don't hide them.  I tell him how much I plan on spending and how much I actually did spend when I get home.  He gives me the "are you serious" look and sighs.  I'm actually kind of surprised that he didn't freak out about the new swimsuit I bought last weekend...but then again, after two pregnancies and seven years, I figure I need a new swimsuit!  (Tankini top, bikini bottom and shorts to cover came to $181 and change.  Nordstrom, which is why it was pricey.)

prettyinpa

@waterbaby-  That seems like a pretty good price for all that swimwear to me. I've gotten some athletic swimsuits where top and bottom came to that price and there wasn't that much fabric to it, just that it wouldn't fall off if I hit a wave.

prosopon

I don't/can't hide anything from my husband.  

Okay, I must be a weirdo because when I get something, whether it be clothing or a sephora purchase or whatever the first thing I do IS show my husband.  I usually got a really good deal or it is something I am excited about or something.  I even make him play the "Guess how much it cost." game.  He probably wishes that I never share a thing with him.

DrWould

I do this with my boyfriend! I always want to tell/show him the new things I bought because I'm super excited whenever I get something new. He has accepted that this is just how I am :smileytongue:

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]

I do that sometimes too. Even though I try and hide the new makeup I get (or the majority of it at least), soon enough I'm showing him it! But that's only sometimes! Haha, and I'm sure he probably wishes the same thing as your husband. I'm just like '..... Yeah and guess how much this was!?' And he's like 'Okay' or 'Cool' LOL Like hello I asked you a question where you're suppose to answer with numbers!! Hahaha

prosopon

And recently he has been "guessing" extemely, impossibly low prices just to get on my nerves!  Hmph!

dolceloure

Normally I have no one to hide purchases from, b/c I've been living on my own these past few years...well, except the random scrutiny from my dad, who has access to my checking account. "There are a LOT of purchases from this Sephora place...." he'd comment from time to time, lol. Whenever I'm back home (like right now) I do have to hide my stuff. My dad doesn't really understand makeup, and my mom just thinks I have too much. (ok, she has a point...) Fortunately, I'm on a no-buy right now, so there really isn't anything to hide!

In the future though, if I ever find myself in a relationship where my boyfriend/husband takes issue with my purchases, I shall tell him exactly where he should stick his judgement. :smileytongue: 

...sudden realization about why I'm always single. Haha. 

beautylovingirl

@starletta8- I don't think anyone thought you were being negative I look as everyone's comments to be about themselves, heck if you need to toot your own horn for an accomplishment then toot away sista!

starletta8

[ Edited ]

Nope, I don't have to hide a thing! I'm at a fantastic place with my boyfriend- we're both highly motivated, independent people who have their stuff together and we each are homeowners. I don't worry about him overspending- and he doesn't worry about me.  It took a lot of sacrifice, especially on my part, to get to this point.  The ability to really lock down my finances when I need gives me a lot of latitude in terms of my discretionary spending.

Heck, my recent no-buy was largely because I needed to buy some major household things, like an AC unit!  So, if I want to have fun with part of the money that's left over, it's all good...

ETA: Just realized I may be misunderstood as implying others aren't highly independent, awesome people with their stuff together. That's not the case at all- I'm just so grateful that I really "have it all" right now that I can't help but gush a bit. Y'all are wonderful- my words aren't meant to be negative to anyone else. But for a long time, I didn't have my stuff together and wasn't so independent- so it's praise coming from me.

kalex

Kudos to you!  I've never been independent (besides personality-wise) in my life and sometimes I wonder what I would've been capable of.

I married my high-school sweetheart 3 months after we graduated and started having babies at 20.  Now in my early thirties I find myself with my youngest entering pre-school and I don't know what to do!  Should I stay at home and learn to knit?  Finally complete my Bachelors? 

I wouldn't give up my family for anything but I certainly don't have my sh!tt together in the same way you do.  Kind of jealous!

consolvo

@kalex

In the words of my favorite person,Maya Angelou:

"With discipline, with decision, determination, preparation and intelligence you can do anything. Anything!"

rikkie

I don't think it sounded like you were being negative to anyone else, just that you are happy with where you are now, which is a great place to be! 

I can't wait to be back in a place like that, we've had to be paying for two apartments unexpectedly for nearly a year (rent, utilities, groceries), start making student loan payments, car payments, buying a lot of plane tickets for me back and forth between Mexico and Canada, so if we had known all this would happen we wouldn't have gotten rid of so much furniture and bought new stuff when we were moving and may have waited on a new car. My one indulgence this year has been Sephora, and the amount I've spent all year is about the difference between his rent and mine in one month, so I don't feel too bad indulging one vice for now. :smileyhappy: Good for you being able to get all your finances to where you are happy with them! It's not an easy thing. 

starletta8

It was just post-posting momentary second guessing... It's just been an incredible ride for me.

I completely understand about all of the extra expenses.

And for what it's worth... I don't buy many clothes (have enough) and my boyfriend and I are both over the bar scene (saves money bigtime!). Sephora is one of my only indulgences.

DesertRose0706

I don't hide any pruchases from my BF.  I make my own money, have no debt, and frankly and its none of his darn business lol. 

But when we do get married we have both agreed to put our money together and budget a specific amount of "fun" money that we can each spend on whatever we want.  This way neither of us will ever have to feel guilty or get mad at the other for buying stuff, because we will already have agreed on it and will have it budgeted (Dave Ramsey fans, anyone, lol?)!

beautylovingirl

@Consolvo- I like a girl with a crafty mind.

consolvo

:smileyhappy: I swear it wasn't done purposely (to start), but it does work really well!

rikkie

Ohhh, it was fine when we were in Canada and I had a working credit card he didn't see, or I could make cash purchases. Right now I have no SSN, so I can't have any American credit cards or anything attached to our bank account in my own name and my Canadian card expired a while ago and they want me to pick up my new one in person. So it's no fun that every cent I spend is open to scrutiny. Soon I will have my freedom again, muahahahah!

kimmi1115

I'm a college student living with my parents, but my mom doesn't really say anything.  She knows I budget wisely, and it's not like I'm buying junk that will sit under my bed or something.  It's a hobby, especially the nail art.  

Dad, on the other hand (lol), has never really been inside Sephora. At least, he hasn't really paid attention to the price range of makeup and polish.  And I'll keep it that way by keeping receipts out of sight and in my folder lol.

Lanndan does know about Sephora and pricing, especially since his mom is a cosmetologist.  He's seen her shop for her supplies, and when she shops, she SHOPS in order to have everything she needs at the salon.  He has never really said anything about my makeup and polish shopping because he has hobbies he shops for and he likes to have different scents.  He also has more shoes than I have lol.  If he ever says something about my spending, I'll bring up the stuff he bought for his car, his tattoo and future tattoos (wait.. that may not work since I want a tattoo when I move out lol), and the hiking equipment he is currently beginning to collect.  He may find the stuff online, but it all adds up lol.

poshified

I have a drawer that's usually locked when I've got family over. It's pretty much filled to the brim with receipts and the like haha!

Beauty Anonymous, anyone? :smileyvery-happy:

Luxeface86

(0) Hearts

Oh gosh... that's me. A nightstand drawer overflowing with random receipts.

::cringes in a corner, hangs head in shame::

wendyomgwar

I live with my parents and I use to rush home to make sure that I would receive all my online purchases myself. Now I just shop in stores and sneak the bag in through my window haha! Its my money but they always badger me about it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 265 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • kalex
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar