Londonlover101

DIY: one ingredient, fat free,sugar free, vegan delicious ice cream!

upload_651420907892456980.jpghey dolls!

just wanted y'all to know that if you chop up banana's then freeze them then take an amount you want blend it, you will have a delicious ice cream substitute that tastes even better then the real thing! (my opinion) I think this is a perfect option for everyone and fits everyone's dietary needs.

1.) chop up bananas (little banana coins)

2.) place in a plastic tub and freeze for at least two hours

3.) get out a small amount of the coins (do not make more then you can eat because if you try to refreeze the pre-made version it does not taste as good)

4.) blend and ta da!!!! I hope all of my BTFF's enjoy this!

marydiva

Re: DIY: one ingredient, fat free,sugar free, vegan delicious ice cream!

(0) Hearts

Remembered this thread and made it for myself - so good! I used a little hand mixer and it worked perfectly. Very delicious. I'll be re-trying with melted chocolate and maybe mint! :smileyhappy:

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

@calamityjane and @everyone I prefer to use yellow bananas with few spots or bruises, im not sure how it would turn out with overripe banana's it would probably make it sweeter and browner, you cant judge until you try :smileyhappy: @Saturn wings @annekevdb now that you mention the yonana's I remember watching an infomercial on TV about that, to me it looks like you could definetly use any fruit to get the ice cream consistency! good point Saturn :smileyhappy:

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

you have to blend it until it is smooth and not chunky this takes about a minute or two, if you are having trouble blending them add a few tablespoons of milk, this would make it now obviously not dairy or fat or sugar free but it is still healthier then the average ice cream and if you use reduced fat,skim or fat free then you have an even greater version!

jessyiniowa

To make it even yummier (although less healthy):

3 ripe bananas (frozen)

1 tsp cocoa powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

spoonful of peanut butter or Nutella

It's so so good.

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Mmmmm, that Nutella sounds super delicious, plus it wouldn't matter if your banana mixture browned. :smileyhappy: mmmmmmm

MermaidBarbie

(0) Hearts

Sounds great! Thank you for this.

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

I tried it before and didn't like it, but does it matter  what stage they are?? As in slightly spotted or full on brown????? Does it make is diff???

marydiva

I would think that the browner they were the sweeter it would taste. :smileyhappy: 

calamityjane85

You would think so, but I wonder how the texture changes?? Mine didn't looks as pretty as that picture ...

Ps I love your new avatar picture too!!!!!!

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Oh thank you!!! :smileyhappy: 

And that's a great point - the texture probably changes. I didn't think of that! 

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Sounds delish!  One my favorite frozen treats is freezing a peeled banana and then slicing the frozen banana and putting on the freezing chocolate shell (found in most grocery stores by the ice cream section.) Frozen chocolate covered bananas! Totally delicious, although probably not SUPER healthy. :smileyhappy: Oh well. 

I never thought of just blending up plain frozen bananas. I'll have to try that. :smileyhappy:

saturnwings

(0) Hearts

I had to look it up just to confirm, but there is a machine on the market that specifically makes banana-based ice cream - Yonanas.  I used to see on on TV but have recently started to see it stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond.  (Just to clarify: Londlover101's recipe works fine without the machine.  The machine is just a gimmick but apparently one that has gained popularity.)

@annekevdb - you can get this to work with all frozen fruits.  Most of them will come off more like sorbet/sherbet since the consistency of a banana is what gives it the creamy, ice-cream-like texture.  Certain fruits won't work as well (though I've never found one that outright doesn't work) - pineapples tend to come off more granita-like than having a creamy texture, for example.

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I have some frozen pineapple.... Might just give it a try. 

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

I bought a Yonanas after one of my coworkers told me her daughter in college bought one. I like it.

saturnwings

(0) Hearts

:smileysad: I apologize if I came off as telling people they need to justify their purchases of this machine.  I've bought (and liked) many gimmick-y items so sometimes tend to forget people have bad connotations with the word.

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

@drrragon unfortunately it is a necessity to use a blender as the rock hard banana's cant be grinded up any other way, I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

no problem sugarsnaps, im glad you love it :smileyhappy:

Londonlover101

@annekevdb honestly the banana flavor is hardly noticeable! it just tastes like plain ice cream! I don't know if it would work with anything else since other fruits do not contain the same consistency and texture as the banana but experiement and let us know!

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

wow is that photograph of teh blended bananas??  it really looks like ice cream!  what a great idea.  i definitely want to try this sometime soon!  maybe with hot fudge, or blend in some strawberries too!  thanks for sharing!

p.s. have you tried mushing with a spoon rather than using a blender?

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

It looks delicious - I wish I liked bananas (they are number one of my list of foods I don't like. ACK PHOOIE!). I wonder if it would work w/ any other fruit  - like pineapples, or if you added a little almond milk or something....

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • marydiva
    • saturnwings
    • drrragon
    • jessyiniowa