sephoramusthave

DEPOT?DECANT/DIY lip/eye palettes

Okay so I've been watching youtube videos of how people chop and melt their lipsticks with candles and hair straighteners just to transfer a lipstick from the tube to a little palette to save space. Does anyone on here do that? And if so, share a pic if you can and tell us how you did it. It looks pretty cool but there's no way I could do it. Chopping up my expensive lipsticks doesn't seem like the way to go....but I don't have a massive amount of lipsticks and don't need the extra space.

lylysa

Re: DEPOT?DECANT/DIY lip/eye palettes

P.S. A tip to all the folks who are depotting and end up breaking or cracking their shadows/pressed powders, here's a quick fix tutorial link on how to "mend" your broken shadows!

It works for any pressed powder (from bronzer, foundation, blush, to highlighter) and even works to press/transform your own loose pigments to pressed ones!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/Mineral-shadows-and-pigments/m-p/472115/highlight/true#M2374

mkupgk

I tried depotting some of my single eyeshadow and blushes but ended up cracking or throwing them away b/c it was so ruined and ive never used them b4!!

drrragon

ok kenny, we need more details!  i did a double take when you said you depotted eye PENCILS!  wha--??

for the record, I successfully depotted all my UD Mariposa shadows. The egregiously inefficient, bulky palette (without even a mirror!) was just not doing it for me.  They flipped right out and no broken shadows.  On the other hand, sometimes you are not so lucky, if the glue holding the pans is very strong it can get pretty dicey.

kenny

Actually you can google lots of tutorials for it, I think it was all the rage a few years ago. What I did was pop off the little cap at the end of the pencil, then holding the pencil with tongs I used my hair dryer to heat up the pencil, so the product melts right out (heat from bottom to top). This way I don't waste product while sharpening. And I find it easier to apply evenly over my lid using a brush rather than from the pencil. It is actually pretty easy, and I figured if it went terribly wrong it wouldn't be the end of the world since NYX eye pencils aren;t terribly expensive

I'm glad you had no problems with your UD palette! I did find some palettes have a lot more or stronger glue than others which can make things tough. I also got a little hasty trying to pry them off the cardboard too.

drrragon

tell me about it....toughest fight of my life was with some old 3-pan Stila palettes.....man those pans were SO hard to wrestle out of the layers and layers of cardboard and glue!

I gotta try the pencil thing sometime!

kenny

I recently depotted my NYX jumbo eye pencils. I find it so much more convenient to have them in little stackable jars. It was fairly easy (I used the hair dryer method). I have depotted some eyeshadows, blushes and luminizers so I could create the perfect palette for travel. Unfortunately I did have some issues cracking some of the larger shadows and blushes (all from other palettes that usually had very impractical packaging). Unless you have time, patience and a serious need for space or convenience it probably isn't worth it.

crayzeeRN

I've been considering doing this with two Benefit eyeshadow palette's and UD's BOS 4 (SO rediculously bulky!). But I'm afraid of accidentally destroying one of the shadows and I'm not sure I feel like spending that much time doing it either...

janinebt

I'm with dannyc, depotting seems like such a hassle and with my luck I'd end up either destroying my flat iron or messing up a depotted shadow. I usually just by the shadow pans individually or just leave my pots alone.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
DTalksAll

That's why I love products that come in single pans (Mac, UD...) I can build my own palettes :smileywink: 

The only time I would depot is if something broke, or I truly hated other items in a pre-made palette but loved one thing. Otherwise I don't feel like the the time, mess, supplies... is worth it. Usually if something cracks I'll just put it in an empty jar like my HG bronzer; the Hourglass waterproof bronzer :smileysad: I was so close to crying that day. 

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

It does seem like a hassle. Unless youre a makeup artist and don't have time to fumble around and open up 100's of lipsticks to get the color that you want, I don't really see the point. A lot of people mentioned that its good for travel----but a few lipstick tubes don't take up nearly as much space as a chunky palette does.

ChicDabbler

Instead of heating up, I shave off the top layer (so the bullets are still the same shape) into a Sephora sample jar, and mashed them together with a bit of rose salve using the little Sephora sample scoop thing. It diluted the color a bit and gives it a balm-y consistency, which I don't mind cuz I was experimenting with how to make brown lipstick work by combining it with my red/orange lipsticks (which are either perks or promo or drugstore).

I also scrapped off some pressed eyeshadow to mix together for a different color. Interesting thing I realized is that if the eyeshadows have different lasting power, the color changes through out the day. Pretty interesting, color-changing shadow, lol.

I didn't do it to save space, just playing around. I just crushed/mashed and mixed, no heating or anything fancy, but there's not much point unless you are very specific in your want or dedicated. I'm not really interested in it, altho I might do one last DIY to make my Maybelline color tattoo eyeshadow cream easier to work with. But it's such a hassle.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I heard that as long as you don't let the lipstick boil that the color/texture shouldn't change. But I'm not taking that risk. Plus....the way some youtubers are doing it....its not sanitary. At least spritz all supplies with rubbing alcohol and wipe things clean....

placaminero

I can't imagine doing that! The amount of space saved cant be worth the time, effort, or cost of the new palette. Not only that, I've left lipsticks in the car accidentally to melt.. I've found that they just aren't the same afterwards. I've left the now-misshapen lipstick in the tube and used a brush to salvage what I can, but the formula, consistency, or chemical make up of the makeup seems to change from the heating process.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • drrragon
    • janinebt
    • lylysa