ayen85

Copycat

[ Edited ]

Ladies,how do you handle copycats?! Copycats who ask for your opinion be it makeup,clothes,anything you like or want and just post it online to make it as their Own?Ive had it with these kind of people!

i have a "friend" who would always ask the brands i like,or the price for the things i acquire and the next thing i know she had a photo on facebook wearing the same item i got! even her husband does that too with my hubby.how annoying is that?! 

Im too old to post about this but i just dont know how to handle them anymore.they brag about their stuff, and they are annoying as anyone ive ever known.they even STALK us online!!! (Why,hello there!) they're so obnoxious and i couldnt take it anymore!  Even the stuff we have at home they would ask us where we bought it and how much its priced. Seriously, they dont know anything about good manners. I dont ever ask someone how much her things are worth,its too personal for me. And having someone as a friend who copies and disrespects u is just so irritating!

janinebt

Re: Copycat

I've had this happen before too. It's one thing to purchase a similar item that someone else has...just don't wear it around them. But when you start to notice that a friend, coworker, or acquaintance is slowly starting to morph into you it's a bit freaky.

At one of my very first jobs my coworker started dressing exactly like me. We all kind of joked about it. It was a bit annoying, but at the same time it is flattering. I think the only thing that really irks me about copycats is when they take a creative idea that they may have heard from you.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ayen85

I agree with what you said. When we are with friends these people dont even have the decency to credit us with our own idea. Months ago,We were in sephora with a common friend and we were talking about skincare and whatnots and how i  actually influenced her to buy makeup. She denied it of course! And told our friend that she was into makeup before i met her.yeah,just lipbalm.eyeshadow which she would always "share" with her family and thats it! I dont know why she has to pretend to be someone she's not. 

at times when they would stay here at home she would "always" borrow my personal beauty items like eyeliner which shouldnt be shared! yuck!

roxystar4

it sounds like this person is very insecure. Many people have mentioned this but slowly backing away from her/her husband may be a good idea.  It sounds like she is exhausting you and I feel like life is too short to be around people who aren't upbuilding. Esp when there are some great people out there who will make you feel great and be happier.

I think the name of these people are emotional vampires?

beautylovingirl

@ayen85-It doesn't sound too funny more annoying than anything you have more than enough justification to boot her . Is there something else that is holding you back? If I have a friend that likes what I have that's great but a friend that wants to basically clone you that's creepy.

ayen85

Well her husband is a longtime friend of my hubby so it might take a while for us to boot them out of our life completely. ...iv also told a common friend about our sentiments and she was understanding and all....i had to tell her that we might not be present in future gatherings maybe once in a while would be ok.Aside from that you cant find asians here to where i live so we are most likely to see them during parties....if it were my decision i wont hesitate to just stop seeing them.its like we are "forced" to be friends with people just bcuz they are asians so we could have a tiny asian community here. stupid,i know!

dannyc

That's not stupid. 90% of mine & my boyfriend's friends are Ukrainian. We stick together, but there are a few I don't like. We have such a large community that it's easy to avoid people outside of our circle. It getts difficult if there's a bad apple inside, but we find ways around it. Either we don't invite them to the smaller gatherings, or we don't go to them if they are going. If we do run into each other we act polite & move on. Now that we're all older we try to either resolve our differences or go separate ways. Our core group is getting smaller, outside core is getting larger & the rest of the community is what it is. 

If you can't avoid them, just ignore them. If you confront them it will probably back fire. Sounds like they play dirty. 

beautylovingirl

@ayen85- You should definitely give her the boot no  true"friend" tries to degrade you by telling you that you should be her consultant.. Girl boot her out like yesterday's trash and be done!

ayen85

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Whats worse is her husband keeps on encouraging her to buy the things i have.like when he saw me w/ a ted baker bag he said she should buy one too,or a furla bag which he kept asking me for the price!  it can be funny and annoying at the same time. 

katie1724

You've received a lot of great suggestions! I know imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery or whatever, but it can be irritating, especially if you take pride in your unique choices (in clothing, fragrance. decoration, etc.).

Since this is the same individual, I totally agree with beautytester -- I wouldn't share anything with her, or, if you do,I would be very selective in what you tell her. Better yet, recommend something totally different if she asks for suggestions. If you're obsessed with a UD liner, for instance, and want to keep it to yourself, if she asks you, just say "I've heard (insert anything but UD) is good!" Now, if you have a blog and she's stealing or reposting your material, I'm not sure what you would do about that (I don't have a blog). You could confront her about it. As for asking for prices of things around your home, that is really gauche and impolite; the next time you're asked a question like that, you can definitely be vague and say "I really don't remember," or "It was a gift" (even if it wasn't!).

ayen85

Thank you katie! I guess i was spoon feeding her with too much information! We were shopping last month and she was reading brands out loud just to ask for my opinion which i normally would do for a friend,im glad to say i never gave her any clue which brands to buy. we have google (duh!) why cant she just look it up online?!  she was saying that i should be her consultant on nice things.last time ive heard doing consultations should come with a payment.lol.shes not a celebrity or anything,maybe she feels that way but other than that shes just depending on others for choices on stuff she could spend her money on.

beautylovingirl

@ayen85- You could also do the reverse psychology thing on her too. Do all the things she does to you to see how she feels about. She may not like a taste of her own medicine most people don't.

ayen85

Great idea beautylovingirl!

beautylovingirl

@ayen85- I remember you venting on this couple as well before. I would seriously distance your self from there or have you just asked why they are doing what they do. Sometimes just bringing a matter to someone's attention is all it takes. Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

melissabt

I've had this happen many times before! It can be really obnoxious and difficult to confront people about it. I've had to just say sorry I'm sooo 'busy' can't hang out and eventually slowly fade away.

<3 Melissa
nebel

Ignore them.  Life is too short to deal with people who don't add anything positive. 

dianabt

I've had many the copycat friend and usually I don't notice it until someone else will point it out! I can understand liking someone else's style and looks but when they start to copy your school, education, jobs, etc... that's a level of stage 5 clinger you need to RUN far away from. :smileyhappy:

I'm flattered at first but if it continues more than 2 times its just kind of strange to me! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

*love* the stage 5 clinger reference -- that movie is such a classic :smileyvery-happy:

ayen85

[ Edited ]

Oh my! Thats scary diana! Theyve been spending time here at home months before,but not anymore! I said to the husband that itheyre not welcome  and i dont want to clean my house just so i could have leeches stay in for the night and disrespect me in my own house!

violalea

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

haha tell me about it. They would copy me but also talk behind my back cause there are certain things they dont have the body too wear. They would be like your dress too short, or too tight blah blah. But the next occasion, they were wearing almost the same type. And no I am not trying to sound obnoxious. I ask people about make up skin care stuff all the time, some ladies here (hello lylysa, beautytester, etc...just to name a few) know that but I appreciate their help and ALWAY GIVE THEM CREDITS FOR HELPING ME. I admire them for their knowledge and they know that :smileyhappy:

For my best and GOOD friend, i would even tell her the website i got my clothes and would always tell her about the sales going on. I am nice too her because she is nice too me. If there is something nice and on sale I would get 1 extra to give to her. And she would compliment me about my nice clothes just like I do the same to her, not JEALOUS like some other girls that I have known.

Also this 1 girl was kinda close to me a few years back but then I met my boyfriend and she started to get jealous and always asked me about my boyriend and wanted to meet my boyfriend, heck no. I only wanted to introduce him to the people who matter to me.

ayen85

(0) Hearts

My husband actually told me that i was too generous and how i taught her how to do her makeup,the brands she could purchase here in the US. But that dosnt mean she had to copy me! If youre a genuine friend i would never hesitate to give you something i also like.but if your being a diva and who prefers to post stuff on facebook just to impress others well then you are no friend of mine! I buy things not to fish for compliments but just for myself.and funny how her husband would tell me his wife got complimented on her bag and i didnt! Talk about negative competition!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 65 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • dannyc
    • dianabt
    • melissabt