Cold Remedies

Hey lovely BT Babes!  Since we're totally in the thick of cold season around here, I thought it might be fun to share some home remedies or your "musts" when you feel a cold coming on Smiley Happy  

My staples are:

echineachea

sudafed

mucinex

OJ

apple cider vinegar/honey/ginger tea

And obviously water & as much sleep as I can get!!  I'd love to hear any of your tips, so I can kick this cold & hopefully anyone else can ward off one!!

xo, Mia

Re: Cold Remedies

Soups...LOTS of soups. Spicy soups, brothy soups, veggie soups.

Tea....LOTS and LOTS of tea. Green, white, herbal, rooibus, black, mint. Just lots of tea. I don't like to add honey or lemon. Just pure tea with a hint of sugar to cut the bitterness. Maybe just hot water with slice of ginger and lemon.

A shot of brandy. If I'm having throat problems I'll take a small sip of brandy and let it coat my throat. It helps kill any germs lurking there. Its helped me overcome soar throats. Sometimes I'll add the brandy to the tea. Learned that from my mom.

Raspberry or Cornelian cherry preserve. Either smeared onto buttered toast or a teaspoon full added to tea. Raspberry preserve can help reduce a fever.

Spoonful of honey. In the morning.

Vitamin C. Either tablets, or in juice/veggie/fruit form. If you take vitamin c remember to take it with iron for maximum absorption.

Lots of fresh fruits and veg.

A heating pad.

Occasionally a decongestant or an advil.

Sleep. Glorious and wonderful Sleep.

(0) Hearts

emergen-c and crushed ginger with lemon zest, i forget exactly how my mom makes it but if interested i can ask. it does sting the throat but it helps. also.. i drink lots of tea. the one i use is Traditional-Medicinals-Organic-Throat-Coat-Herbal-Tea-032917000132.jpg

i'm going through this now. it's all up in my head. loads of emergen-c, green veggie juices with pineapple. spicy brothy soups. i sleep clutching a tub of vick's vaporub and apply to my nose (the sides of my nose and basically up my nostrils) through the night as needed.

lemon water and ginger tea if i can be bothered. that's the problem with feeling like this. once i'm in bed it's hard to get out until i start to feel human Smiley Sad

i honestly don't know if this is a cold or very bad allergies.

(0) Hearts

Me and pine pollen don't get along. Terrible with how many there are in Florida. :/

i feel you SQ. my mom lives in central texas and is severely allergic to cedar (one of the WORST places to live if you have a cedar allergy). something that resembles a head cold is the least of her problems, her skin (legs, arms, back) breaks out in welts. i've never seen anything like it. her dr said she's the worst case he's ever seen and told her "my prescription to you is to  get. out. of. town". luckily she was in a position where she could leave for a while. misery.

[ Edited ]

Lots of vitamin C and ice cream! lol The ice cream just makes me feel better. When I'm having sinus issues, which is all the time, long hot showers and neti pots do wonderful things. Spring Onion soup, this really cuts through the mucus.

Be careful with the dairy products (like ice cream)! They help make you more mucus-y!

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I don't do that much anymore. Shouldn't have put that! Smiley Happy

Vicks Vaporub! Mucinex is a life saver as I have sinus issues.  

A fluffy warm scarf.  I always feel like my colds start in my throat so I make sure to keep that area nice and toasty.

Lemon in my water

Tea with honey, fresh lemon, fresh ginger and a touch of whiskey Smiley Wink  Seriously, just a splash.  

I hate to say it (it's the hardest thing to get!) but sleep is always the best for me.  

Feel better Mia!  Warm thoughts Smiley Happy

A Hot Toddy with a ginger twist! Sounds delicious Smiley Happy

Oh my goodness, I asked for a hot toddy at dinner the other night & the waiter (who was definitely younger than I am) looked at me like i was nuts.  That made me feel SOOO old.  But they are so delish!!

xo, Mia

(0) Hearts

Aww, thanks Michelle!  I'm totally still sick, but everyones suggestions make it bearable Smiley Happy

xo, Mia

Chicken noodle soup or Egg Drop Soup

honey + green tea/peppermint tea

Spicy ramen (Annie Chuns!)

m001183876_sc7.jpg

I prefer Odwalla Strawberry C Monster to Citrus C Monster. Did you know your body completely uses any Vitamin C within 30 minutes of drinking it? So get something like this that has A LOT of vitamin C per serving but do fractional servings like an ounce at a time every 30 minute to an hour to power through a cold.

1144.png

I'm also a nut about sanitizing ANYTHING that goes in the pantry or fridge- those are clean hands only zones so that very little ends up in our face without being cleaned off. We've gone from multiple colds a year to none in the past two years. I would be saying longer but my friend brought over ice cream that she ate while she was sick out of the tub. I got sick despite that having been over a week ago that happened to her. In my defense I had no idea prior to eating the ice cream. >.<

Really?!  I had no idea that our body goes through vitamin C so quickly!  I usually drink a few Emergen-C's throughout the day, but that Odwalla smoothie looks delish!!  And that Spicy Chicken Ramen... I have to find that!

xo, Mia

The Spicy Ramen is a guilty pleasure. The best I can do sometimes because the closest place to get any is a long bus ride away plus a walk... who can do that if you're sick!

But yes, to quote the NIH site. "However, people who take vitamin C supplements regularly might have slightly shorter colds or somewhat milder symptoms."

"Fruits with the highest sources of vitamin C include:

• Cantaloupe
  • Citrus fruits and juices, such as orange and grapefruit
  • Kiwi fruit
  • Mango
  • Papaya
  • Pineapple
  • Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries
  • Watermelon

Vegetables with the highest sources of vitamin C include:

• Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower
  • Green and red peppers
  • Spinach, cabbage, turnip greens, and other leafy greens
  • Sweet and white potatoes
  • Tomatoes and tomato juice
  • Winter squash"

Feel better soon, Mia!

You're such a rockstar for sharing vitamin C boosters Smiley Happy  One of the many reasons I adore all of my BT babes <3

xo, Mia

I don't have a cold remedy per se, but I haven't had a cold in years since I started eating low-fat, vegan. Eating meat is supposed to suppress the immune system. I also wash my hands very frequently and am a big fan of hand sanitizer when I'm out and sinks aren't available. Avoiding germ havens like the pen on credit card swipe terminals (you can generally just use your own pen with the ink part retracted) and always using hand sanitizer after using an ATM are a must for me. I believe avoidance to be easier than treating a cold/flu.

(0) Hearts

I'm pretty good about everything else you mentioned, but I never knew that about meat!  Thanks Smiley Wink

xo, Mia

Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
Photos2
  • m001183876_sc7.jpg
  • 1144.png