Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Coffee Talk

I've been chatting with some fellow coffee addicts over in the Random Thoughts thread but I thought maybe I should make a separate thread.  So let's discuss anything/everything about coffee!

I just got the Peet's Sumatra blend in the k cups and I really like it!  Need to make a note to try their Major Dickinsons Blend since it's so popular.

Re: Coffee Talk

Michelle - I have a "travel" frother. It is often found in my makeup bag due to its importance. I promise you, a frother will change your coffee experience.

Michelle, I'm slowly starting to head in the direction of "coffee snob." Got rid of my Keurig because most of the coffee they offer tastes weird (to me at least). I'm currently looking for an electric kettle since I burned my normal one and am looking into a pour over system just because I can never seem to get the hang of a French press lol.

I wish I could afford a fancy espresso machine, that is my dream haha.

Anonymous Insider

I didn't want to clean an electric kettle (hard water issues), settled on a borosilicate glass kettle. I've had it for three years, impressively resilient. I don't use the plastic whistle cap on it though.

Malday, I'm POSITIVE I've heard of a couple automatic pour over systems. If I can locate the articles on them I will ping you.

What is the reoccurring issue with the FP method out of curiosity?

I plan on just using filtered water to avoid the hard water issue. I'm looking at either a glass electric kettle (but I'm clumsy) or one with a crane neck (seems strange to clean? but also lessens my chances of spilling boiling water all over myself lol). Automatic pourover would be lovely, hopefully you can find those articles 😄

I guess I don't have any specific issues with the FP, I just can't seem to make decent coffee in it?! I fail haha. But also I'd rather not have to pour the coffee into another container to avoid it sitting too long in its own grounds.

Anonymous Insider

Found it, pming you.

But yeah, I use the MineralClear filters from Pur and I still get hard water buildup when I boil water. It takes a week to accumulate enough to fog the glass but it is still there. I think you would need a multistage water filter (professional) to get everything out.

I usually refer to the site thecoffeefaq. The typical problems I would run into was water temperature, grind, freshness of beans, and my steep time. There's usually tell-tale signs to let you know what is the issue. Is it too weak, too bitter, too strong, etc?

That's my dream too!  My parents' friends' owned a cafe in Berkeley once and every time I was in town I always went in and played with their espresso machine.  Ahh the memories 🙂

Anonymous Insider

You're not snobbing until you get a mug warming drawer.

I never heard of a mug warming drawer either!!!!! 😄

Woah mug warming drawer?!?  I've never heard of such a thing!  Sounds like heaven!

Ohh I've been contemplating getting one of those too!  (the frother I mean)

Have you guys seen this?

IMG_0615.jpg

I just don't get why anyone would buy this.  I'm sure it's an upgraded version of the cups they serve coffee in but why on earth?  I guess it's just bugging me because I feel like they'll sell anything these days and people will actually spend their money!  Plus, the design looks like a kid drew it and not in a good way.

I think that's just the new fall cup at Bux.  I have one sitting on my desk (and I did not pay for it).  I know they have the reusable one that gets a discount on a refill but that one just looks like a plain old cup.  It's much cuter in person!  I guess they're going to have seasonal cups now, like the red holiday ones.

Ohh I'll be honest, I haven't gone to Starbucks in months (on a boycott since they got rid of my drink) so I didn't know.  I hope the red ones look better this year.  Last year they were kinda boring IMO.  Oh interesting that they've added on a "fall" version.  

image.jpeg

Dunkin always has good promotions!  Sadly there is no DD out here.  Closest one is a couple hours away.

We just got a couple Dunkins in my area (SoCal), sadly they are still far from me haha.

Oh wow.  I hope they make their way up here.  The nearest one to me is Modesto and that's like an hour.  Plus there is absolutely no reason for me to go to Modesto.  I'm not driving an hour just to go to DD.

Aw man really. 😞 . As soon as I saw this I thought of you and this thread (coffee lovers!).  I bet other coffee shops are having some kind of promotion for national coffee day. By the way, what great timing making a thread right before national coffee day haha.

I know!  I really wish there was one here.  It's not very big in California though.  I hope so!  Thank you for thinking of me!  I would have totally taken advantage of this if I could!

I hope some coffee shops by you have some good promos! 

Thanks!  Yes I hope so!

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos24
  • image.jpeg
  • IMG_0615.jpg
  • French Press.jpg
  • upload_5418971601793102925.jpg
  • IMG_1168.JPG
  • a20fe7b1ffe893b4.png.jpg
  • e970ca1c90db00b5.png.jpg