lylysa

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

[ Edited ]

Hey there! I hope everyone is keeping warm in this weather, it's been in the high 30s/low 40s in my area for this past week and raining a bit. Anywho, I just wanted to share a homemade chicken noodle soup recipe that I threw together. I've made it a couple of times before and have varied it up some here and there, but the recipe is basically the same. In case any of you guys and gals wanted to try this on your own, it's super simple and cooks all up in one pot making clean up a breeze and you get a nice, hefty amount of comforting soup for your belly and to warm you up!

I'm not a super stickler for precise measurements, so know that I speak pretty freely in addressing amounts to be used, I say to go by your own taste buds and sense of judgement. Some folks like things with a tad bit more salt, others more pepper, so feel free to adjust this to your liking!

Start off with a large pot with a lid, like a 4.5 ounce dutch oven or pot like this:

4.5QT CVD DUTCH OVEN GREY

Key ingredients:

-Water

-2 large chicken breasts, you can butterfly them so you have more meat to work with, chopped into cubes or pieces
-Frozen bag of mixed veggies (I like mixes that have baby corn, carrots, peas, and snow peas, plus using freshly frozen veggies save on the overall hunt in the supermarket)

-3 red potatoes, chopped into cubes

-Mushrooms (white or portabella are what I normally work with, I generally cut them into slices then go back and roughly add a few chops to break down some of the larger pieces

-Chicken bouillon (I like Knorr's Reduced Sodium version, it also has a hint of parley flake to it as well)

-Onion powder

-Red chili powder

-Salt (regular or sea salt)

-Pepper (I favor fresh ground if it's available)
-Half a bag of egg noodles (or egg-free versions work just fine, I normally pick up the generic, supermarket brand)

Extras:

-Celery (adds an amazingly fresh flavor)

-Parsley flake
-Additional spices (rosemary, thyme, etc.)

1. Start off by filling up your pot half way with water, set on the stove to a slower boil, almost to the highest setting, but not quite, but definitely not at medium either (you want to make and get to eatting this pretty quick don't you? :smileytongue:)

2. In the mean while, chop up your chicken (if not already), making sure to trim off any portions of fat if present, and also chopping up your mushrooms and potatoes. Here's where you can decide if you like smaller cubes of meat, larger chunks (in which case you can always use more than two chicken breasts) and if you like larger portions of mushroom and potato as well.

3. Once the water starts to form some smaller bubbles, add in the chicken bouillon. I normally start with a few tablespoons. Mix the bouillon so when it's fully dissolved you can add in your chicken.

4. When your chicken looks to be nearly half way cooked, add in the frozen veggie mix (if you use fresh, you can add them later on to prevent them from getting too soft and mushy too quickly). Stir the chicken and veggies up to distribute them evenly while cooking in the stock. I like to start adding the onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, and any other spices to the mix now so the chicken can soak up more flavor while it cooks.

5. Add in the potatoes and mushroom next, once again, stirring to mix everything up, then add in the egg noodles. If you prefer fresh veggies, now is when you can add them in.

6. In between adding more to the mix, you can taste test the stock and see what else you need to add, again, I prefer to gauge by personal tastes. I like my stock a bit on the warmer side, so I always add a bit more onion and chili powder as opposed to just loading more salt. You can add in more spices or more bouillon mix if needed.

7. Your pot should be almost filled to the top by now, keep stirring to mix (even use a large, slotted spoon if you're afraid a regular laddle with slosh around too much liquid). The stock should be at a slow and steady boil, not an intense, large, bubbly boil. The idea is to almost "slow cook" the ingredients together so as much flavor is infused.

8. Check and see that the potatoes are soft enough throughout the process, you don't want them hard and crunchy, but not mushy either. The noodles should be nice and softened, not limp and lifeless. Keeping it a few notches from high heat also prevents the chicken from cooking up too fast and getting rubbery in texture.

9. Once everything is to the texture you like and to the flavor you prefer, reduce the heat if you're wanting to keep it warm throughout serving or just turn the heat off immediately and serve.

I made this last night and it yielded about 11 full servings, thankfully my cousin and friend were over so it wasn't just my boyfriend and I eating it!

I hope you guys get to try this out and enjoy it! Let me know if you venture to make it yourself or if you have any wonderful winter recipes to share!

berniebeauty

Re: Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

I'll be using this when it hits the single digits this week! Soup and pasta for sure :smileyhappy:

~We are all beautiful~

lylysa

Brrrrr! I don't even want to begin thinking of single digit weather!!!

MizzyyzziM

Thats super sweet of you. Its been in the 30's in my area too. Inland California.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

That's crazy for Cali weather!

bananachoox3

This looks super delish. Its super cold out. Its around the 30s here. I love chicken noodle soup. I can eat that all day. I will be trying this out for sure.  Thanks!

lylysa

I tried not to steal my boyfriend's bowl of it last night :smileytongue:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Thai coconut curry is my go to because ingredients are flexible, everything done in 1 pot, and super healthy. It can be served over rice, with bread, or diluted for soup.

Ingredients:

- 3 tbsp Thai curry paste (red or green)

- 1 tbsp of garlic

- 1tbsp chopped ginger

- 2-3 cup of chicken (preferably blanched to remove residue blood/grease)

- 1 can coconut milk

- 1 tbsp lime juice OR 2-3 tomatoes

- 1 onion (sliced)

Pick your favorites! (choose a couple or throw everything in):

- 1 cubed potato

- 1 can of baby corn

- 1 can of bamboo shoots

- 1 sliced bell pepper (green or red)

- 2-3 carrots (sliced)

- 2-3 celery stalk (sliced)

- 1 cup of green pea

- 1 can of water chestnut

- 2 cups of snow pea

- 1-2 jalapeno or sirino chili pepper if you like it hot

1. Get a big pot and put in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil (olive, canola etc). Turn the stove heat to medium and stir fry garlic, ginger, curry paste until sizzling.

2. Pour in the chicken, onion, and some salt. Stirfry until fragrant and the meat is coated.

3. Pour in coconut milk and lime juice (or chopped tomato). Bring the mixture to a boil, then let it simmer until meat is cooked.

4. Pour in all the vegetables you sliced/cubed and simmer until they are cooked but still crunchy (well, make sure the potato is fully cooked).

5. Serve with rice, bread or diluted as soup. Season with salt as necessary.

There's lots of ingredients but you basically dump everything in and make sure the meat is cooked. Number of serving depends on how much vegetables you put in. Cooking time depends on the meat. Adjust the salt, curry paste etc to your taste (you can add a little sugar in step 1 if you like your curry a bit sweeter). Everything done in 1 pot and since I usually put all dozen types of vegetables in, it lasts me ~1 week.

I also perfected a cream of tomato soup recipe, which use less ingredients but is more work. Currently testing to see if it's freezable, if it is then it's a keeper. I don't want to cook more than twice a week.

lylysa

That sounds like a fabulous recipe, Beautytester!

There used to be this one dish at a Thai place I would get that was so good, I can't remember the name but I know it was curry with potato!

I'll have to try this recipe sometime. I've been playing around with the idea of making a curry dish. Do you find that when you make this as is it's more on the mild/temperate heat/spice range or is more spicey? I don't mind spice and heat to my food, I just need for it to serve an actual purpose and lend itself to flavor as opposed to just "burn your mouth off" heat.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

The curry paste is not spicy at all. There are a lot of spice (as in seasoning) in this dish, but the only heat/spicy flavor comes from the jalapeno pepper (or any kind of skinny long green/red chili pepper. I usually skip the chili pepper so it's flavorful but not spicy at all since I get pimples easily from spicy food. I think half or one chili pepper is a good amount for most people.

So, you can do a gazillion combination with the stuff and amount in the pick your favorite category. I like delicious food that doesn't require lots of effort, so this is one recipe that's hard to mess up and easy to fix. Taste delicious but I've never had to spend more than 20min cooking time on it.

lylysa

That's nice, I know curry is so varied and there's so many combinations possible. I think I'm most used to yellow curry.

ChicDabbler

Well, I use red curry paste, but the pot usually turn out orange/reddish only if I use tomato. Otherwise it's yellow. I can't actually taste much difference between different Thai curry paste once I dump the 5lbs worth of veggies in. =P

There's also Indian curry, my favorite of which is palak paneer (spinach and Indian cheese). I was experimenting with Japanese food (mirin and miso), but I've got 2lbs of cheddar in my fridge right now, so Italian food, cheddar biscuit and casseroles are where I'm at right now.

lylysa

OMG, palak paneer sounds delicious!

I love working with miso! I make a miso-honey marinade/glaze for salmon and chicken! I can send you that recipe if you want.

And holy cheese! Where in the world did you just obtain 2 pounds of cheese?

ChicDabbler

Parents. They spent the last decade telling me I need to lose weight, yet as soon as I started living on my own, they act like they are stocking up for disaster relief. 2lbs of cheese is easy to use (a handful on pasta, chedda biscuit, cheese straws (the most addictive thing ever)). They are getting better, before they once brought me 10lbs of fresh tomatoes, that was a tad more difficult to go through (thus current experiment with freezable tomato soup that still taste good).

lylysa

LOL! My parents do the same! Every time I visit home it's "take this...take that" and they just load me up with juices, noodles, and rice!

katie1724

Wow...ten pounds is excessive (and I love tomatoes)! That's great :smileyhappy:

drrragon

TEN POUNDS! hahahaha

babybear04

Wow, sounds super yummy! Thanks for sharing!  Soup (particularly chicken noodle) is one of my favorite foods of all time.  Unfortunately for me, I've recently become gluten-intolerant and can no longer eat half of the foods I used to (including chicken noodle soup).  It's really crazy how much gluten is in a lot of products that you don't really suspect (even most campbells soup, noodles or not, have gluten! *sigh*). 

Anywhoo, I try to look at the glass half full and embrace my new diet.  This has really encouraged me to eat healthier and read all the ingredients in the foods I eat.  So I guess I'm more food-conscious now?

Anywhoo, my whole point to this is that for those of you who are gluten-intolerant, an easy substitute for the noodles are gluten-free pasta (which isn't actually as awful as it sounds), or even rice!  I actually prefer the rice believe it or not...very "cozy". My mom even goes as far to make home-made gluten-free noodles since she knows her home-made soup is my favorite! Definitely more time consuming, but totally worth it!

Also, I guess some bouillon's have some gluten in it?  For me, my case is super mild so I can tolerate a little dose of gluten.  But if you're super sensitive, be sure to find bouillon that is gluten-free.  If you can't find that, replace it with spices such as garlic, bay leaves, thyme, coriander, celery seeds, salt, ground black pepper, cloves, and onion powder!

Just thought I'd share in case there are others out there (like myself) who watered by the mouth just by looking at the picture then felt a sudden-onset of sadness because they are gluten free :smileysad:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Thanks for sharing, Babybear! I know more and more people are becoming interested in gluten free options be it for personal choice or due to health reasons.

You can definitely substitute the regular noodles for gluten free options! Especially rice! I've made some versions of this where I added brown rice that I had cooked the night before and had extra laying around and even taken some cooked crab meat and lumped it in! And good point at making the soup base purely from spices too! If anyone goes for that route, I suggest adding that to the water first so it can cook up together and then infuse into the meat and veggies rather than adding it in alongside.

Let me know if you make a gluten free version of it! :smileyhappy: Again, substitute and play with the recipe all you want! That's what I love about cooking, you can doctor things up or down to your liking and needs!

lylysa

P.S. Here's a look at the giant pot of YUM!

cns.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • drrragon
    • berniebeauty
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler