officegal

Challenge of the Week

[ Edited ]

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. :smileywink:)

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

prettyinpa

Re: Challenge of the Week

(0) Hearts

I think I am going to enjoy the red lip thing this week too. It ought to be interesting, I don't have a lot of going out opportunities planned, but can do a red lip anyways. Say, does a Benetint lip count? I always thought it was too red for me, I wear the Posie Tint instead. I also have MAC Ruby Woo, for a real red.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

@prettyinpa: I might have to give Ruby Woo another shot. I thought it was way too dramatic for me, but maybe the harsh department store lighting was a factor. It's such a pretty blue-red! : ) 

@maggy: I know what you mean! I love reds, but I definitely have to even out the contrast with a little blush -- it honestly looks worse if I don't wear any!!

: )

mermadelove

red lip.JPGsecond lip.JPG

prettyinpa

Yay. Mermadelove, what a great red!

I am doing a Benetint red lip today, with a red gloss from my stash, a Smashbox color that seems to have lost (or never had) a name, probably from one of those lip sampler things (maybe Nonstop?). I didn't do Ruby Woo today in honor of Valentine's Day, give my poor beleaguered husband a break from pestering me about lipstick on my teeth. The combo is a very good red, just not "in your face" like Ruby Woo.  Saving old Ruby W for tomorrow! 

officegal

Everyone's choices sound great!

@mermadelove - Your look is really wearable and awesome!  Great job!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

I had a feeling that I wasn't going to be able to buy my lipstick today, either.  But we have all week to rock the look, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up something tomorrow.  I have a LORAC gloss that's very red but it's difficult to wear without a lipstick to anchor it in place underneath.  And I want a lipstick specifically anyway.

Here are some inspirational looks for those of us who are still working out how to work red lips:

011811-Malin-400.jpg

020311-Kate-400.jpg

122210-Emma-400.jpg

mermadelove

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

OMG!!! I LOVE the last pic!!1 Isn't that the girl from Harry Potter?? She looks sooooo cute with that haircut! And I love those earrings!

@katie: The red is from my stash: UD 24/7 Glide On lipliner in Gash.

@sarithor: Love the look!!

And thanks for all the compliments!! :smileyhappy:

tmgood

mermadelove! you look fantastic!  I think that color looks great on you! you should consider wearing it all the time. ok, so yesterday I went and bought Kat Von D's HellBent, wore it home, stopped at th store, had company, and forgot i had on a new bright red lip color....but no one was staring, gauking at my lips!!  So maybe it didn't look too out of place.. But this morning i forgot to bring it work with me (subconsious avoidance??)  So tomorrow, i'll be brave!!

officegal

(0) Hearts

tmgood wrote:

ok, so yesterday I went and bought Kat Von D's HellBent, wore it home, stopped at th store, had company, and forgot i had on a new bright red lip color....but no one was staring, gauking at my lips!!

That's what I'm hoping for, too!  Good luck with the lips today!

daisy346

mermadelove & sarithor, you both look so cute. You can really pull off those red lips.

Amazingly, my red lips were super easy & worked great. I combined this challenge with the "shop your own stash" challenge because I didn't want to spend a lot on a red lipstick I might never wear again. So I opened a new Cover Girl lipstick I had gotten quite some time ago & never tried. I bought it because it was a really good deal; I paid very little for it and it looked like a pretty red. But you know how these things go...I tossed it in a drawer and that was the end of it, until this challenge. I decided to be smart and try it rather than buy the Nars one that I want. Surprise surprise, I love it! It was so easy. I put on Too Faced Lip Insurance so it wouldn't end up on my teeth and then just swiped it on. I didn't bother with a liner or even using a lip brush or anything because I was in a hurry and it worked great. The lipstick is semi-sheer but the color is very pretty and it really lasts. I was going to toss it in my purse and look at the name of it & the shade, but forgot. I'll check it out tonight when I get home and let you know :smileyhappy:

Maggy

I'm wearing Givenchy's Absolutely Irristable Red today, but I forgot to put concealer at the corners of my mouth and it smeared!  Looks like I've been noshing on someone's neck--ick. Not a good look.  So that tip seems to matter.

I've been inspired to organize my lipsticks.  Found two from Maybelline, maybe six years old?  I should probably throw them away, but I may need moral support.  I keep thinking I'll rebatch them to adjust the color and moisture content.

xxoo Maggy

officegal

Maggie & daisy - you guys are being so resourceful!!!  I love it!  :smileyvery-happy:

I've been couped up in the house all day with my Chaucer text to prep for a big test tomorrow, so it looks like my red lip adventure is going to be put off until Thurs or Fri. 

But check this out!  I just stumbled across this Sephora video on YouTube and it seems to coincide almost directly with our list for weekly makeup looks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINH_QvFqps

pocketvenus

officegal wrote:

Maggie & daisy - you guys are being so resourceful!!!  I love it!  :smileyvery-happy:

I've been couped up in the house all day with my Chaucer text to prep for a big test tomorrow, so it looks like my red lip adventure is going to be put off until Thurs or Fri. 

But check this out!  I just stumbled across this Sephora video on YouTube and it seems to coincide almost directly with our list for weekly makeup looks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINH_QvFqps

You're getting us on the crest of the bright lips trend wave, officegal! Today, I popped into Sephora and I'll be wearing the a red Tarte lip stain for the rest of the evening while I go out w/my bf.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml%3B$sessionid$PIHZWX5OB4TOOCV0KSKAQAQ;jsessionid=PIHZWX5O...
RE: the video, for those who want some gold in their blush, I recommend Smashbox's Soft Lights in TINT.

prettyinpa

(0) Hearts

Well, I did the MAC Ruby Woo lip today, but I felt kind of silly. I was putting metal roofing on the new barn (it was a lovely day here) while sporting bright red lips! Oh well, the lipstick did stay on well, thanks to Mermadelove's hint on using concealer underneath- I didn't spring for a lip primer, I did enough damage shopping for makeup last week. 

Gotta see what my stash has for a new red lip for tomorrow, I seem to recall a Dior sample in there....

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

Tomorrow I think I am going to do UD Pocket Rocket in Eric, a classic red gloss. I might amp up the rest of my makeup since it's just a gloss. Will post pics!

This is really fun, officegal. Thanks for starting it!!!

mermadelove

Ok, beauties! As promised, here is my second red lip look. It may end up looking the same as the other one because my camera isn't the greatest, but instead of a matte bright red lip and a neutral eye with falsies, this time I used UD Pocket Rocket in Eric, a sheer true red. Sephora Lash Booster mascara, UD eye pencil in Perversion (I like it over zero) Too Faced La Vie en Rose blush, And Kat VonD eye shadow in Livewire ( light shimmery taupe with microglitter). red lip day 2.JPG

officegal

(0) Hearts

mermadelove wrote:

Ok, beauties! As promised, here is my second red lip look. It may end up looking the same as the other one because my camera isn't the greatest, but instead of a matte bright red lip and a neutral eye with falsies, this time I used UD Pocket Rocket in Eric, a sheer true red. Sephora Lash Booster mascara, UD eye pencil in Perversion (I like it over zero) Too Faced La Vie en Rose blush, And Kat VonD eye shadow in Livewire ( light shimmery taupe with microglitter). red lip day 2.JPG

You look so awesome that I HAD to repost with the pic included!!!  :smileywink:

mermadelove

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hey thanks officegal!!!:smileyhappy:

officegal

FINALLY got my lipstick!  I fell in love with an Hourglass lipstick but my sanity got the better of me and I chose Revlon Colorburst in Ruby.  It's super creamy and very very bright red on my very neutral face.  I'm inspired by Lea Michelle's look from the Grammys.  I'll try a similar palette tomorrow.  :smileyhappy:

IMG_1872.JPG

leamichele@2011grammys001.jpg

katie1724

(0) Hearts

@officegal: I love Colorburst lipstick! I actually have Crimson -- it's a pretty deep red. Ruby looks so pretty -- I might need that one, too!

YAY for getting your red!

:smileyvery-happy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

Katie, it's surprisingly high quality and I love the quilted look of the packaging.  I might get a few other shades now that I've tried Ruby.  :smileyhappy:

katie1724

(0) Hearts

@officegal: They ARE great quality! I have Soft Nude, True Red and Mauve**, too -- I didn't like True Red as much; it's a little bright an orangey on me. I like Crimson, though, and I may have to try Ruby. I really like Mauve!! 

**Walgreens was having a buy one get one sale!! I had to!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 442 replies
  • 458 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • beckpoppins
    • sarithor
    • officegal