officegal

Challenge of the Week

[ Edited ]

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. :smileywink:)

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

mermadelove

Re: Challenge of the Week

(0) Hearts

@officegal: Please let me know EXACTLY how you use those! I just got some individual lashes and I 'm at a loss!

officegal

(0) Hearts

katie1724 wrote:

By the way -- does anyone know a lot about MAC? I hate posting MAC questions here (it feels sacrilegious!), but if anyone has a lot of knowledge about their coloring system, I have a question that I can PM -- so please let me know if you do! :smileyvery-happy:

What do you need to know?  I'm not a MAC expert or anything but I recently read something about their coloring system and might be able to help.

officegal

I'm so behind on everything... eeek!

mermade & sarithor - you guys both look FABULOUS!!!  :smileyhappy:

I'm going to put these on tonight!!

IMG_2002.JPG

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I know I've said this before, but I am so frustratingly unskilled when it comes to applying falsies...I've tried everything! MUAs have shown me repeatedly how to do it, and I've watched tutorials (I could watch Lisa Eldrige and Wayne Goss for hours)...I just need to try again, I think. Despite a trip to the MAC Pro store last night, I have not been able to meet this week's challenge. Maybe tomorrow!!

By the way -- does anyone know a lot about MAC? I hate posting MAC questions here (it feels sacrilegious!), but if anyone has a lot of knowledge about their coloring system, I have a question that I can PM -- so please let me know if you do! :smileyvery-happy:

sarithor

Yeah, False lashes takes practice.. you gotta play around too, to see whats easier for you to apply. I like to take my mascara and apply it on top of my real lashes so they are pointing down so I can see where to apply the fake ones better. Then I curl the real ones with the fake ones. Yesterday I discovered that Benefits Badgal Lash is a really really good mascara for blending real lashes in with the fake ones. I ususally just use my normal mascara, but yesterday I was thinking since I got that free deluxe sample of the badgal lash and the brush is too big to use on my normal lashes that it might work better with the fake and I was right. When I use badgal lash just with my normal lashes, the brush is sooo big that I end up getting it all over my lid and under eye. I think my normal lashes are too short for it, but with the longer fake lashes I didn't get it anywhere and it looked good afterwards.

daisy346

dp2010 wrote:

everytime in the past i have tried false lashes it has been a disaster.... glue everywhere and lashes running up and down across my eyes.....

That's exactly what I picture happening to me! Plus I don't have the patience to mess around with it.

Very pretty, mermadelove. Love the eyeshadow too.

mermadelove

@daisy: I went back to my original application method of putting the glue on my lid then adding the lashes and it worked! Here is today's look:

falsies2.JPG

prettyinpa

@Mermadelove, you look wonderful in both your pictures with the eyelashes!

@Sarithor: You too, you take a great pic!

Well, as I expected, I was the only person at the Horse Expo shovelling manure with false eyelashes on!  I have been keeping to the challenge, it was easy Mon-Wed since I had to go to town each day and getting all dolled up wasn't unexpected.  I promised a friend that I would help out at the Expo long ago, so I just got up early and did the lash thing. (I didn't have to get to the Expo early so it wasn't a hardship).  It was cold out today so that helped keep the lashes in place, I think. I swore that if they fell off, I was NOT going to pick them up!

sarithor

(0) Hearts

@prettyinpa, thank you! and you poor thing lol! I'm glad they didn't fall off while you were working away. What a good friend!!

@officegal, I've always wanted to try individual lashes, but havent yet. Seems soo complicated!! But I think the next chance I get, I'm going to buy some and try it out.

officegal

@sarithor - Try a practice round on a leisurely day and see how it goes!  I don't think it's very difficult but just takes a lot of time and patience.  Most full strip lashes are way too long and thick on me, so individuals are usually the better option.  Your falsies looked awesome, though.  :smileyhappy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

prettyinpa wrote:

Well, as I expected, I was the only person at the Horse Expo shovelling manure with false eyelashes on!  I have been keeping to the challenge, it was easy Mon-Wed since I had to go to town each day and getting all dolled up wasn't unexpected.  I promised a friend that I would help out at the Expo long ago, so I just got up early and did the lash thing. (I didn't have to get to the Expo early so it wasn't a hardship).  It was cold out today so that helped keep the lashes in place, I think. I swore that if they fell off, I was NOT going to pick them up!

OMG, you're such a trooper!!!  I'd give you three hearts if that were possible!  LOL!

mermadelove

(0) Hearts

@ prettyinpa: ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

daisy346

So pretty, mermadelove! Today I'm wearing a Victoria's Secret gloss in a sheer red. It's pretty; a true red but nice & shiny. I don't think it's going to have any kind of staying power, but that's okay. If I reapply often maybe I can start using it up. I have so MANY lip glosses, and yet I always want more. 

katie1724

@mermadelove: You look so pretty!! I love that gloss!

@daisy: I went with a gloss today, too! I'm wearing NARS in Misbehave. I love it because it's one of the few that doesn't go pink, orange or fuchsia on me -- it definitely stays clear red.

: )

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@officegal: Good luck with Chaucer! What are you reading? I think I've only read the Canterbury Tales, which were interesting...

Today, I have NARS lipstick in Gipsy. I love this shade -- it's another sheer red. Since I'm so pale, normal red shades never look right on me unless I'm dressed up for an evening out. This shade is red, but wearable -- it's kind of similar to MAC Hot Tahiti. I have NARS Shanghai Express, which I love, and Rouge Basque, but I can't get away with wearing either to the office!

: )

officegal

Wow, you guys are awesome!!!  This was my idea and I still haven't done it.  School has been kicking my -ss this week.  I've been so swamped I haven't had a chance to go shopping for my lipstick.  :smileysad:

But the week's almost gone already.  I'll just do it with my LORAC gloss in Flaming Mix for work tomorrow.  The pic makes it look more pink but it's definitely red.

IMG_1861.JPG

katie1724 wrote:

@officegal: Good luck with Chaucer! What are you reading? I think I've only read the Canterbury Tales, which were interesting...

We were tested on everything we've done since September, which is almost all of The Canterbury Tales, The Book of the Duchess, Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy, and some short poems.  We read them in Middle English and the test was mostly site passage, so it's been hellish trying to re-read and memorize stuff that makes immediate sense only partially to begin with.  But it wasn't so bad in the end.  Thanks for your well wishes!  :smileyhappy:

daisy346

So the lip color I used was Cover Girl TruShine #475 "Valentine shine". Very pretty! I highly recommend.

crazyaboutbeauty

(0) Hearts

I liked that video!

officegal

Yup, that's Emma Watson!  She went all short-haired while attending Brown.  I'm just noticing the crazy lower lash action going on in that pic!

@sarithor - Love your look! :smileyvery-happy:

sarithor

@Mermadelove, love your look!! yay for pictures! lol. Ok here is my look. I used MUFE Moulin Rouge lipstick today. Here's my pic.

moulinrouge.jpg

katie1724

@mermadelove: Gorgeous!! That looks lovely. Which red is it?

@all: I'm wearing MAC lipstick in Hot Tahiti today. While MAC describes it as a soft reddish coral, I don't see coral in it at all. On me, it's a sheer, berry red. Definitely red, though!

:smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 442 replies
  • 458 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • beckpoppins
    • sarithor