officegal

Challenge of the Week

[ Edited ]

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. :smileywink:)

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

Maggy

Re: Challenge of the Week

@mermadelove--looking good!  That red really highlights your pretty smile.

I'm wearing my beloved Givenchy lipstick today, in Raspberry.

Happy Valentine's Day, ladies!!!  xxoo Maggy

Maggy

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of the week project!  It's going to be a lot of fun, and I bet we'll all learn some great new techniques.

Some tips for wearing the red lip:

1.  Make sure teeth are as white as possible.  Red seems to highlight unclean teeth more than other shades

2.  Carry a few q-tips in your lipstick case to fix smears

3.  Use concealer on the corners of your mouth to prevent lipstick from smearing, and

4.  Tone down the rest of your makeup when you wear a red lip to avoid looking clownish.

I'll be wearing matte fawn colors on my eyes and just enough blush to keep me from looking like a corpse. 

Oh, and about lipliner--every guide I've seen says to use lip liner to prevent bleeding.  That has never worked for me.  No idea why.

And lip stains--most of them are pretty good, but I've found the drugstore brands particularly inferior.  Believe it or not, plain food color from the grocery aisle works pretty well, but is hard to apply.

xxoo

mermadelove

maggy wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of the week project!  It's going to be a lot of fun, and I bet we'll all learn some great new techniques.

Some tips for wearing the red lip:

1.  Make sure teeth are as white as possible.  Red seems to highlight unclean teeth more than other shades

2.  Carry a few q-tips in your lipstick case to fix smears

3.  Use concealer on the corners of your mouth to prevent lipstick from smearing, and

4.  Tone down the rest of your makeup when you wear a red lip to avoid looking clownish.

I'll be wearing matte fawn colors on my eyes and just enough blush to keep me from looking like a corpse. 

Oh, and about lipliner--every guide I've seen says to use lip liner to prevent bleeding.  That has never worked for me.  No idea why.

And lip stains--most of them are pretty good, but I've found the drugstore brands particularly inferior.  Believe it or not, plain food color from the grocery aisle works pretty well, but is hard to apply.

xxoo

Great tips!

I am using my Naked palette to do a matte neutral eye with my red lips tomorrow. :smileyhappy:

tmgood

[ Edited ]

no kiddin... you should at least be able to collect extra free samples of your choosing!  :smileyvery-happy:

i work in a Dr.'s office, talk about stepping out of your comfort zone!!   aaahhh!  

so what is this 'stash'  or 'shop your stash'  that you guys are mentioning?

i just read the post about it.  Funny how things workout sometimes, i just cleaned out my makeup drawer earlier this afternoon and tossed some tea rose blush that i haven't used in forever.  I have to go pull it out of the recycle bin and save it for the week of March 7th for Bright Pink Blush week!!    :smileyvery-happy:

daisy346

(0) Hearts

I think it's an excellent idea! Count me in :smileyhappy: I'm interested in the red lips too....I absolutely love the look, but have trouble getting it to look good on me.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Count me in, too! Would we all vote and decide which one it is, or would a designated person pick one each week? I love it!

: )

officegal

(0) Hearts

Yay, glad you're both in!

How about I take suggestions and just keep updating the first post with the list we come up with.  Then we'll assign weeks to each idea and test them out starting this coming Monday!

I'll have to go buy a red lipstick now.  :smileywink:

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I love all of the suggestions! I think red lips would be a good first one, since it's such a frequent question on here...and I like the idea of eyeliner, too (because I never deviate from black -- I only tried brown again after years when I received the Whiskey / Zero duo with the Naked palette!).

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ooh! I see the dates now. I think red lipstick is also a great place to start in honor of Valentine's day, too :smileyvery-happy:

sarithor

I'm definitely in... I've been wanting to use my MUFE Moulin Rouge lipstick for a while now lol.

officegal

(0) Hearts

Woohoo! Glad you're joining us!

I'm loving this already!  It's weird but I don't own a single red lipstick.  This is getting remedied... tomorrow hopefully!

daisy346

NARS lipstick in Heat Wave has been in my shopping list forever. Has anyone used this? I hear such good things about it but who knows if it would work for me. This may be the time to get it!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@daisy346: Heat Wave is definitely an orange-based red (I think it's more orange-red than red) -- if that's what you're going for, go for it; I love NARS shades. It's just very bright and might be more orange than you expected if you haven't already swatched it in person. If you have warmer-toned skin, though, you could probably pull it off really well!

:smileyvery-happy:

daisy346

That's what I was looking for; an orange-red. I LOVE that color but I'm not sure if I can pull it off! I have other reds that are similar to their "Fire Down Below" (lol) but I'm never quite satisfied with that...I love the orange-y reds (on other people, anyway!) Although now that I'm looking at it, I'm wondering if the Fire Down Below is better than the red-reds I already have....maybe I need BOTH!!!!!! Danger

katie1724

(0) Hearts

You definitely need both! :smileyvery-happy:

daisy346

(0) Hearts

You're not helping....lol

I'm looking forward to this challenge!

runy

I already rocked red lips last week, but I will do it again!  I have a hard time wearing true red, so instead I wear a sheer raspberry pigmented gloss- it's gorgeous and makes me feel confident.  Paired with black eyeliner and pink blush- looks awesome!

officegal

Yay, runy!  :smileyvery-happy:

I always chicken out from doing a real red lips look and go for something very sheer or more plum than red.  I looked at some drugstore lipsticks today because I'm not sure that I want to spend a lot for something that I might not wear more than a few times, but I didn't find any that really called to me.  I'll be hitting Sephora and maybe the Chanel counter next.

Oh, and if you have a good suggestion for a specific red suited for light-medium Asian skin tone, I'm all ears!

pocketvenus

officegal wrote:

Oh, and if you have a good suggestion for a specific red suited for light-medium Asian skin tone, I'm all ears!

Me too! The brightest I've ever used is Cover Girl's Really Red but it looks more pink than red. Strangely, I like glossy hot pink lips but have never done a deep ruby red.

mermadelove

Hi there!

Late jumping on board, but totally count me in!! Although this may actually have me doing the Shop Your Own Stash challenge simultaneously because my beauty budget this week needs to go to the plumber!!

prettyinpa

I am on board too, but will need some assistance in: How do I keep the red lipstick off my teeth? I usually wear light colored lipstick and every time I try to use a red, my husband points out that I have lipstick on my teeth!  I don't know whether he is doing this out of kindness or to see me rush off to try to get my teeth clean. (He dislikes me in red lipstick, so I think it is the latter)! I try to use the finger in mouth technique after putting on lipstick, but about 15-20 mins later, I have red or striped teeth. Any suggestions? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 442 replies
  • 458 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • beckpoppins
    • sarithor
    • officegal