officegal

Challenge of the Week

[ Edited ]

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  :smileyvery-happy:  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. :smileywink:)

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

mermadelove

Re: Challenge of the Week

[ Edited ]

@sarithor: My husband and I say we will be newlyweds for 10 years! LOL

@tenngal: oldyweds! OMG!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

lashreece

@mermedalove - Happy 3 years!  My hubby and I have been together for 6 years and married for 16 months!!!!  We are definitely still honeymooning!!!! 

@Sarithor - You are a very good sister!!!  I don't know if I could be away from my husband that long.   The past 2 years I've been traveling every few weeks for work for 4 days at a time and I am miserable.  You are a better woman than I

@Officegal - WOW 25+ years.  Something to be very proud of.   I want to grow up and be just like you.  ( I mean it seriously)

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.  I'm on the mend.  Unfortunately I scar easily - so I will be dealing with those for a while until my Refissa and Obagi gets rid of those.  It's so frustrating.  I finally get everything looking good and then just to spite me, my face decides to break out and make me start from square one!!!

Today I wore my coral sweater with a coral colored stone necklace.  For  make-up I wore:

-NARS Powder Foundation in Deauville

-Benefit Extreme Concealer

-Benefit's Coralista on my cheeks
-A peachy eyeshadow from one of my Sephora Palettes (the name has worn off the bottom)
-Dior's Lip Maximizer
-no eyeliner or mascara

So without even trying I kind of have a NMML! 

sarithor

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my hubby and my sister it makes me happy to hear (or read) them! I feel that any wife that loves her hubby could definitely survive a long time of seperation from them. It seems impossible at first, but its not. I remember the first time I had to say goodbye to him on the pier and I knew I wasn't going to see him for months and I remember thinking I wasn't going to be able to do it. The hardest part is them walking away cause you just want to run after them and hug them and kiss them one more time, but you know you can't. I've seen pregnant women collapse at the pier saying goodbye cause they are about to be give birth for the first time and they have to do it alone, I've heard stories about wives crashing their cars on purpose on the way to the pier in hopes of injuring their hubby so he wont have to leave, I mean its the saddest, hardest day ever. But really thats the HARDEST part of the seperation, everyday after that gets easier and easier. You just gotta take it one day at a time and remember everyday is bringing you one day closer to welcoming him home. But don't count the days! only count the weeks cause its a smaller number lol.

Enough about my seperation rant lol. I hope none of you have to go through it and I pray I never have to again either, cause he's still an inactive reservist until next year and he's been thinking about being an active reservist, so we shall see.

@Tenngal congrats on your 25th, I can't wait till we can celebrate ours!

@lashreece congrats on your marriage and happy late anniversary! I hope you honeymoon forever!

@mermadelove love your coral look, very gorgeous as usual!

@kristamarielund, love love love your nails and your look! I hope things work out good for your job. I've had a job like that where it was based off the seasons except it was a summer job and then usually in the fall winter and spring I had to get a second job to help pay some bills, so I feel your pain.

Today, I was in a funky mood and wanted to be creative with my coral look. I've also decided that I totally need to get a summer foundation already cause I somehow unknowingly tanned my face and I look like a ghost with my winter foundation. I guess thats what I get for living in the desert and daring to go outside for 5 minutes without sunscreen lol.

But I did a fun, coral eye look with some blue and purple and a dark tangerine-ish color with it. The coral eyeshadow isn't as noticeable as the rest but it is there! haha. I also used my coral lip gloss and my coralista blush, but since my face was looking scarey white I didn't take a pic of my whole face :smileysad: But here are 2 pics one with my eyes closed and one with them open. Sorry the one with them closed is slightly blurry I didn't mean for that. Oh and ignore my eyebrows please! My friend just became an esthetician in my home town and she wants me to come in and be a waxing model for her work, so I'm not allowed to pluck or do anything until then lol. So, its gonna be a hairy week I know that haha.

coraleyelook2.jpg

coraleyelook.jpg

mermadelove

Sarithor, those eyse of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE!

tenngal

@sarithor:  Awesome eye look!  And, by the way, the photos didn't show any stray eyebrow hairs--ha, ha! :smileyvery-happy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@mermadelove:  Great coral look!  Coral is very flattering on you--I wish I could wear it cause it's such a pretty color. :smileyhappy:

@kristamarielund:  Love that shade of coral lipstick...It looks great on you! :smileyhappy:

Since coral is not my color (makes me look washed out and sickly), I did paint my nails in the coral polish I bought.  I bought two colors to do a moonicure, but the lighter color was too sheer and didn't show up over the darker color, so to salvage my paint job, I used white with the coral.  I'll post a picture below...

Coral_Moonicure_040611.jpg

kristamarielund

@tenngal How do you do the Moon manicure on yourself?  How do you get such a clean line? Are you just really good with the brush or do you have a trick like a stencil or something?

lexalexislex

(0) Hearts

I like to use Scotch tap as a guide. Use the edge of the tape for make a clean line and leave on the tape while your nails dry. It works wonders!

kristamarielund wrote:

@tenngal How do you do the Moon manicure on yourself?  How do you get such a clean line? Are you just really good with the brush or do you have a trick like a stencil or something?

tenngal

Just in case anybody's interested in the the moon manicure or French manicure guide stickers, I wanted to let you know that what actually works even better and is less expensive than those Orly Manicure Guide stickers is to use the stickers that you use to repair hole punches that have pulled out.  What are they called...hmm...OK just pulled out the pack I picked up at Office Depot and they're called Avery Self-Adhesive Reinforcement Labels and you can get a pack of 1,000 for like $6 whereas the actual Orly guide stickers were $4 for only 52 stickers.  I like the way the hole reinforcements make a more rounded shape than the manicure guides, too.  I'll bet you could probably find the hole reinforcements even cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target, too.  I just happened to be driving by Office Depot when I thought about buying them or I would have waited and bought them at Wally-World. :smileyhappy:

pocketvenus

I love this trick!

tenngal wrote:

Just in case anybody's interested in the the moon manicure or French manicure guide stickers, I wanted to let you know that what actually works even better and is less expensive than those Orly Manicure Guide stickers is to use the stickers that you use to repair hole punches that have pulled out.  What are they called...hmm...OK just pulled out the pack I picked up at Office Depot and they're called Avery Self-Adhesive Reinforcement Labels and you can get a pack of 1,000 for like $6 whereas the actual Orly guide stickers were $4 for only 52 stickers.  I like the way the hole reinforcements make a more rounded shape than the manicure guides, too.  I'll bet you could probably find the hole reinforcements even cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target, too.  I just happened to be driving by Office Depot when I thought about buying them or I would have waited and bought them at Wally-World. :smileyhappy:

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@kristamarielund:  I usually do the "Moonicure" on one hand, holding the brush between my toes while I'm using the other hand to type on Beauty Talk--ha, ha!!! :smileyvery-happy:  Don't take me wrong, I'm not making fun, I'm just trying to picture myself actually painting my nails without getting polish on my cuticle edges and everywhere else--ha, ha! :smileyvery-happy:  I absolutely use stickers by Orly called French Manicure Guides that I get from Sally's Beauty Supply.  There's no way that I could do a Moonicure or a French Manicure without a guide--I always end up having to clean up my polishing jobs with a "Manicure Mistake Clean-Up Pen"--ha, ha!! :smileyhappy:  I have never in my life not painted outside the lines or on my skin in this case. :smileyhappy:

pocketvenus

I wore Coralista today in honour of the warming weather - yesterday in TO was very chilly!

A long distance relationship is definitely not fun - but I will be in one fairly soon in Sept when my partner moves to start his PhD :smileysad: It makes me wonder how people did it w/o the internet.

sarithor

@Katie1724, Thank you! I've seriously thought about becoming a MUA and I still really want to, but I'm trying to be practical about it haha. I'm trying to get a degree in Accounting right now, so I have like a really strong back up career or even a really good day job, then I would love to actually go to MUA school and learn some more and then maybe one day start my own business. We shall see how it all works out though.

@pocketvenus, The best advice I've ever gotten about long distance relationships is to try not discuss anything negative when you speak to them. Even if you had the worst day ever and you just want to vent to them. Which usually you would do in a regular relationship face to face, because they can comfort you, but if you do it through an email or over the phone, or skype or something it might make them feel worse. You might have had a really bad day, but they might have had an awesome day and are thinking when they speak to you their day is going to get even better, but then you start venting about how horrible your day was and now you put a damper on their mood and then they feel even worse cause they can't truely comfort you. If you do it too often they could possibly not look forward to talking to you even. So, just focus on the positive and keep happy and loving. Leave the venting for a close friend or family member. But thats my advice and what worked for me and my hubby. Your time to communicate should always be something that brightens your day and makes both of you very happy.

officegal

(0) Hearts

pocketvenus wrote:

I wore Coralista today in honour of the warming weather - yesterday in TO was very chilly!

A long distance relationship is definitely not fun - but I will be in one fairly soon in Sept when my partner moves to start his PhD :smileysad: It makes me wonder how people did it w/o the internet.

Aww, I'm so sorry! LDRs are tough. :smileysad: Where's he going? You can plan a lot of fun trips soon!

And the weather here is psycho. Perfectly balmy one day and snowing the next. Oh well, soon it'll be blazing hot and we'll be complaining about that, too! lol

pocketvenus

[ Edited ]

@officegal We're not sure yet as it depends on the program he decides on. I have to say, some of these American schools have amazing funding! It's very tough for a Canadian school to compete, they just don't have the money :smileysad:

@sarithor Thank you for the advice - it's very smart and I shall take it to heart. <3 I totally agree with what you've written; one shouldn't waste time together on petty things. p.s. I also didn't notice any stray hairs :smileyhappy:

officegal

(0) Hearts

pocketvenus wrote:

@officegal We're not sure yet as it depends on the program he decides on. I have to say, some of these American schools have amazing funding! It's very tough for a Canadian school to compete, they just don't have the money :smileysad:

Oh for sure. I don't know of anyone who stuck around here to do their PhD. And the ones doing theirs at UofT all seem to be from the States!  Good luck with everything and I agree with Sarithor to focus on the positive!

officegal

Well, here's my second attempt at coral-ish nails. (Got my camera back from my sister.) It's very pinky and not at all suitable for my skin tone but others might be interested. It's NYX Mango Cafe.

IMG_2552.JPG

sarithor

OH my eyes hurt from doing homework! haha, but here I am still typing away on the computer lol. I wrote a short essay, 10 sentences of metaphors and a 4 page essay on critiquing a painting in vivid detail. I never want to look at that painting again! haha. I also successfully did all the laundry and packed 2 months of clothes into one suitcase! I'm very proud of myself for editing myself.

I also packed up my make up :smileysad: Its in its own recyclable reusable grocery bag. One of the hot or cold ones that are insulated and zip up. I like to use that for my make up when I'm travelling far in a car because it protects my make up from melting haha. I'm starting on my second suitcase which is going to be accessories, hair products and styling tools, toiletries, and perfumes... yes that will be one suitcase full haha. I have to bring everything since I'm going to be gone so long.

@officegal, LOOVE that nail polish! sooo pretty!

@beautyrush, Love the lipstick it looks lovely on you, as do you look lovely!

@katie1724, I've gotten error messages before, I usually just wait and try again later.

@tenngal, Love the moonicure look, I've been wanting to try that, but I get nervous cause I'm left handed, so my right hand always looks awesome when I do my nails, my left hand... not so much lol! and thats just one color!

officegal

(0) Hearts

@sarithor - Good luck with the move! You make me want to pack up and go somewhere now. I have a plan for the end of the month but it's not 100% set in stone. The first thing I'd pack is my makeup. :smileywink:

@mermade - I think that's the case, but I suppose if I thought it looked good on me, I might like it more?? I think I could wear it more in the summer, since it's kind of on the bright side. And HAWAII! How exciting!! :smileyvery-happy:

@katie - Wish I could help but I don't know Apple or Mac. :smileysad:

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@beautyrush:  Welcome to the thread!  Your lipstick is beautiful!!!  It's a great color on you.  I wish I could wear peach and coral.  Anyway, it goes perfectly with your skin tone...great look! :smileyhappy:

@officegal:  Love the pic of the NYX polish.  I still don't think I could pull it off wearing it on my fingernails even though it has a pinky-coral tone.  It would be a perfect color for my toes though!  Nice and bright and far enough away from my face that I wouldn't look sickly (ha, ha!). :smileyvery-happy:

mermadelove

My coral look:

Just Coral blush from Tarte's 12 hr Amazonian Clay collection and a Buxom gloss in Poppy:

coral.JPG

kristamarielund

@officegal. Sorry its taken me forever to respond. Ive tried to, but my internet connection has been tempermental. 

I'm using OPI's A good mandrin is hard to find. Im not sure if it has enough pink in it to be a true coral, but its close. 

My boss downgraded me to part time for the summer last year, Ive been full time again for the fall and winter and Im scared he's going to take my hours away again soon. I live in Florida which is busy half the year with tourists and seasonal residents and a ghost town in the heat of the summer. So Im not letting myself buy too much right now. But I did go in to Ulta today to play with some coral makeup. I have Benefit's Coralista blush on  and an awesome coral lipstick from Liz Arden. I want the lipstick so bad.

Photo 35.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 442 replies
  • 458 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • beckpoppins
    • sarithor