AznAngelLiz

Cataloging your makeup stash

Anyone ever done this? Any suggestions or tips?

I was telling Mr. AznAngelLiz that I am going to keep better track of my spending this year (ie keep my receipts, keep an excel file of what I purchased and when, etc) and he said I should start cataloging my current makeup as well. 

I've never really thought about it but it sounds like a good idea to know what you have, when you got it (for expiration purposes), etc. 

For those of you that do this, do you just keep a word doc or have a fancier way to do this? I was also thinking of swatching the items and taking pictures for reference and in case I feel up to starting a blog in the future.

I started getting a headache thinking about all the stuff I have to do since I have a pretty sizeable collection....so to de-stress, I went shopping. Just kidding, but any suggestion is much appreciated 

DTalksAll

Re: Cataloging your makeup stash

A year or two ago when I was cleaning out my stash I decided to make a Google Docs spreadsheet of my obsession. I try to update it after every purchase, opened item, tossed item, returned item... 

it's great because I can check it on my phone, iPad, computer, friend's computer... I just need to sign into Google & it's there :smileytongue: 

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 6.09.42 PM.png

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

I created a spreadsheet that includes drop-down boxes for type of product and brand, and other columns for purchase date, colors, price, discount (if any), and a few other things.  I primarily used the emails from my shopping confirmations folder to populate it, though I've filled in some gaps here and there.  It amazed me how I kept finding things I needed to add (esp. things I'd bought in person.)

I decided not to include samples because I was overwhelmed.  I may go back and work in samples in the next couple months, because I can see how that would be useful in tracking whether I liked things, etc.

GGrace

(0) Hearts

I created a google doc spread sheet and started working with one type of product at a day (sometimes 2 product types if they were very few in that types) until I'd done it all. It took a while but it was worth it because now I only have to take a minute to add things in as I buy them

AznAngelLiz

(0) Hearts

Got some good ideas from that thread. Thanks for the link! 

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

Actually sounds like a really fun and interesting project! Good luck!

kalex

kalex

(0) Hearts

Make sure you let us know what you decided to go with and how it works for you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • bombshell30
    • AznAngelLiz
    • GGrace
    • SallieSunshine