IllegallyBlonde

Can we talk about Engagement Rings?

Off topic.. But I can't do my paper, my job keeps calling me with questions and distracting me like crazy (I took off to do this final today and it's getting nowhere...ugh)

Show me your pretty rings, or your dream rings :smileyhappy:

This one is my dream ring:

dfe9635db99347b0ad2b950a8af2d001-800x800.png

....Yeah, I want to marry that ring.

jaimelove

Re: Can we talk about Engagement Rings?

this is the one i have picked out :smileyhappy: white gold, aquamarine, white sapphire and diamond. 

ring 1.jpg

they have it in emerald, too, which i fell in love with first, but then i saw this one. and bonus, it's only $300. can't get much better than that! 

BeautyJunkie325

Aquamarine is my birthstone. My dad bought me a ring fairly similar for my b-day last year. I love it. 

jaimelove

(0) Hearts

mine is december so zircon/topaz/turquoise. this is just such a pretty blue, though! and i honestly don't want a ring like everyone else, and i don't want a big fancy wedding either. i already planned one that never happened (i even have a dress and had the invitations made! it sucked) so this time around i just want small, fun and intimate :smileyhappy: i don't even want a wedding party! just my daughter as my maid of honor and my son as best man :smileyhappy: and in disneyland. haha. is that weird? i don't even care :smileyhappy: 

i just used a lot of words. way too much coffee already this am :smileyhappy: 

grilledchz

My dream ring is sitting at the jeweler's, all ready and sized for bf to pick up. We chose a marquise solitaire with a cathedral pave band. It had to be made custom, since apparently no one likes marquise cuts these days.

pearlgirl7

I LOVE marquise cuts! So timeless and elegant. My mom's engagement ring is a marquise cut diamond. I think mine will be a marquise cut pink sapphire, spinal, or morganite. 

grilledchz

They really are great. I love all the sparkle, and they are flattering on lots of different types of fingers. They used to be very popular 20 years ago, so some  people think they look dated. They will make a comeback eventually. :smileyhappy:

pinkonyx

upload_2757453918493023476.jpg

I'm a yellow diamond kind of girl, I would like the top one but with the center stone a yellow diamond. I am not getting married any time soon but I like these rings anyways, just for being pretty rings.

upload_1542267707367484410.jpg

DTalksAll

Ohhh I love yellow diamonds, but have seen too many light ones. When they are really light they almost look like a bad diamond. 

The really bright ones are usually lab created, or are a precious stone, unless it's really expensive :smileytongue: 

Tiffany's has my perfect pink diamond, but I would never want my boyfriend to spend that money on a ring. So I can settle for a pink sapphire.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

I always think if i received a ring with a fake yellow diamond, or yellow colored semi precious stone, i probably wouldn't even notice. 

IllegallyBlonde

OOh, that top one is so pretty!

waterbaby1981

for those that are conflicted with the issue of blood diamonds, if you get an engagement or wedding ring in the future, make sure the jeweler or country participates in the Kimberley Process.  it tries to ensure that any diamonds or gemstones are not from areas using them to finance wars in those regions and must be certified.  There are some areas they could improve, but it does cut down on diamonds known as blood diamonds entering the legal, legitimate market.

ladymeag

I didn't get an engagement ring - but have asked that I get a ten year anniversary ring (coming up!) to replace my current silver wedding band. 

I have my eye on this one:

upload_4810893201611688227.jpg

And I also like this one:
upload_1402650315574729106.jpg

This is my third runner up: 

upload_3408358466252807713.jpg

In case my spouse wants to replace his to match, I've also picked something out that's more his style than mine: 
upload_2142501718518697666.jpg
with these bands:
upload_3514418894681849086.jpg
All are from independent jewelers in the US, none contain actual diamonds. I'm more about something pretty in my style than I am about the value of the metals or stones. (Though selling his wedding band from a previous marriage that was actual gold and sapphires was a nice, tidy sum that we put toward expenses when we moved in together those many years ago.) 

mrscoco

This is my custom ring during our sketching session. The diamond (which is over 100 yrs old and a family heirloom) really looks nice in it and it is perfect. It has happily sat on my hand for over 12 years now.  

cm.jpeg

yazmin

Mines looks very similar to this one, and I love it. I get so many compliments on it too :smileyhappy:

itscarin

This post gives me a sad, for so many different reasons.  I'm just going to list them, in no particular order.

1. Blood diamonds.  Most diamonds are usually acquired through inhumane conditions, and finance wars.

2. The value of diamonds is artificially created by the DeBeers monopoly. 

3. The wedding industry....  It's gross.  It's one day of your life, hopefully you only get married once, but most people don't, and it's ridiculous to spend the amount of time, energy, and money into it that is popularized in the media.

4. It places a value on how much your partner loves you and encourages competition amongst women. 

5. Plain old consumerism at its worst. 

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but it makes me sad when I see women getting all excited about engagement rings because I feel like too high of a value is placed on being married and all the hype associated with it. 

memu0106

(0) Hearts

I agree with your most of your comments, especially about the wedding industry. But at the same time it's kind of judgmental to talk about the consumerism of other people when you are a VIB Rouge. :smileyhappy:

katie1724

^ Agree 1,000% with this. Thank you. ♥

MissB417

Not a Debbie Downer, more like a Ramona Reality. Spot on.

sundaespal

I have a colored stone. It's not just diamonds that have ethical issues. I hope mine was mined ethically, but there's no way to know. Canadian diamonds are a great option for those concerned. If you live in the Western world, you have stuff produced in less then ideal ways. Let's be real. Hypocrisy is sad.

You might think it's gross, but these things ARE actually important to some women AND men, and they are not lesser for it. I couldn't have cared less about my wedding; my mom planned the whole thing without me. But I'm not going to apologize for wanting to get married or have an engagement ring.

My 10th is coming up and I'd love a 2ct emerald cut ring :smileyhappy:. Not going to happen, but I can dream!

smallpio

For a few of these reasons I limit my engagement ring fantasies to Etsy shops. Many of them use alternative stones (sapphires, moissanite, heritage diamonds) that don't contribute to the diamond monopoly or blood diamond industry, the prices are not grossly inflated, and you're supporting small business owners, and oftentimes, the arts. 

The wedding industry is its own animal. But the growing trend of DIY weddings is helping with that, I think. I helped my best friend construct all of her centerpieces and bouquets with faux flowers a couple of years ago. Not only did she save money, but it gave us hours of time to bond with one another, and I know the same applied with her mother and sisters. It was a really nice experience.

NOW for the pretties! I'm in a natural resources field, and a lot of the time I have to chose my makeup and accessories carefully to avoid female stereotypes. (ie no red lips when doing field work. It's a problem of its own.) That combined with just my general love of all things nature-inspired led me to this set:upload_609678855650726963.jpg
Which is a moissanite .5 carat. I'd looked at bigger, flashier rings, but with the amount of dirt my hands attract, I decided that this style would look as elegant in an evening gown as it would with hiking boots and flannel-lined jeans. And it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

SugaredMagnolia

(0) Hearts

I'd say that because of wedding blogs, the DIY route really took hold about 8 years ago and isn't going anywhere.

That luxe, hotel wedding is always going to be gorgeous, but I love the pretty, elegant weddings at a farm or inn or vineyard with all the little personal touches. They are so charming!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 289 hearts
  • 65 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe