CaitlinBrunson

Brand Specific Employees a Holiday thing?

I mentioned this in a previous post but I was wondering if Sephora is changing how their customer service knowledge works or if it is just for the holidays. Last time I was there (weekday) the skincare staff seemed to only be knowledgable about a specific brand, not about skincare as a whole. I'm curious if this is a policy change or something just for the holidays. 

CaitlinBrunson

Re: Brand Specific Employees a Holiday thing?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't really understand brand loyalty. Don't get me wrong, I love certain brands but they can't be good at everything. I'd much rather take the best products of everything. 

SugaredMagnolia

[ Edited ]

I made an appointment to have a consultation with a cast memeber I like back when I first became VIB. When I got there, they handed me off to an Hourglass rep who basically shouted through the whole thing. It was like he was selling products to the entire store. 

There are Hourglass products I love, but I really didn't appreciate the 45 minute parade of Hourglass products when I was there to get some ideas for new products now that I have more lines on my face.

I don't want CMs to be brand loyal. I would be fine with them specializing in different issues so each store could have an expert to serve, for example, people with acne, sensitive skin/allergies, aging skin, etc.

spacesuit

I don't think I've ever run into a brand rep at my local Sephora but the staff there really like to push the Sephora line and the KVD line on me for some reason, even when I'm asking about a product that's not related to those lines. I wonder if they get an extra commission for selling the house brands?

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

the kvd brand is made by sephora but the packaging is designed by kvd so that is probably why.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I really like them too just because recently I've been more specific with what I want in a foundation, primers and any makeup related to the complexion. But alot of the Sales Associates in Sephora where I live near isn't very knowledgeable at all about the higher end brands.. just that "some people like them" or they just read to me their descriptions on the panel which I could read myself.

(i don't know if its just the Sephora near where I live, but they only like the MUFE and urban decay foundations.. and hourglass if you have breakouts.. not helpful) 

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I agree. My opinion on the matter, is tell me WHY you think a product is better. Sell it to me with its better active ingredients, less irritating, packaging against the elements, ect. Not just because its from a certain brand. I want the best products, but you can't tell me a product is better "just because" tell me why. 

starletta8

I've noticed far more brand reps wandering around Sephora lately.  I actually enjoy when they host them.

DTalksAll

I like the brand reps too. I learn a lot from them & they love to load you up with samples :smileywink: 

starletta8

Exactly, dannyc!  I ran into the same Dior rep twice in three days- she had literally changed the way I do my makeup before, and kept loading me up with goodies.

I learned so much more than I normally do.

CaitlinBrunson

I enjoy hosting but I don't want them taking over!

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

Last weekend one of my local stores they had a Philosophy rep in.  

DTalksAll

Sometimes Sephora has brand reps in, who aren't dressed in Sephora garb & are stationed at their brand. They hand out samples, do consultations... just for their brand. 

I also notice that Cast Members will push particular bands depending on their most recent training, even the mods on here do it. They like to push "the flavor of them month" to anyone & everyone. 

During the summer, I needed help with a moisturizer. The cast member kept pushing Perricone, which I did not want, because it's heavy in oils & products heavy in oil give me milia. She would not help me with any other brands, just wanted to push the perricone on me. I know this Cast Member, she's worked for Sephora for a few years now, I know she knows her stuff...

CaitlinBrunson

Completely understand! That is EXACTLY what I experienced! They tried pushing Perricone on me and then to Korres. 

It was strange. I've seen the brand reps before but this wasn't it, they were all sephora cast members. One at Perricone, one at Korres, and another at Bliss. (I'm prone to milia too as well as Keratosis Polaris so I have to be really cautious about what i put on my skin) They were all wearing the same uniform. I just assumed it was a holiday training thing for efficiency. Having a cast member each with a different brand to know ALL about it. I just was curious if this was a company training change, something temporary, or what. I really hope they keep the "worlds" the way they are (by type, not by brand- color, fragrance, skincare) because otherwise it is just a department store. 

DTalksAll

agreed. If I wanted pushy sales people, I'd go to a department store. 

I like brand reps, but I don't like when Cast Members are brand pushy. 

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I wonder if the make a small commission for selling the product they are pushing. I know this is true for Walgreens 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • starletta8
    • SugaredMagnolia
    • Katty2323
    • infinitise