Spyski

Braces.

I was always one of those kids growing up being deathly scared of getting braces. I'm now turning 24 this year, and also going into my second year of having braces. I wanted to improve my confidence kind of like what some of us do with makeup. The braces really have improved my teeth, smile, and confidence over the past year which I'm very thankful for. They are also barely noticeable (clear ceramic) which is great for my profession right now, and wearing red lipstick :smileywink: So long story short, I went to get them tightened yesterday and to no surprise I'm told they will be adding something onto my teeth...a "tongue crib". Without giving me anytime to ask questions or think about this option, they placed the anchors into my back molars to get ready for the device next visit in June. Now, you guys maybe wondering what this tongue crib appliance is...It is basically an orthodontic appliance to resist the tongue from thrusting against one's teeth which causes an overbite and protruding front teeth overtime. After doing some pretty extensive research, I've found it to be a very impractical option for me. I don't have an overbite for one and my front teeth are not protruding forward. I work in a corporate environment and have to socialize with people often, which the crib actually gives you a horrible lisp (which I already have a slight lisp as is). They said I would have to wear it for 1-2 years. I'm just so frustrated right now and don't really know what to do. I already feel like a 12 yr old in a suit with braces on, but adding a tongue crib that has metal spikes in my mouth will make me now talk like a 12 yr old. Ugh! Does anybody have any advice or has experienced orthodontic appliances as an adult?

I took a pic of the crib at my orthodontist yesterday. It looks like something out of a horror movie! IMG_1818.JPG

Alexprivate

Re: Braces.

(0) Hearts

Our daughter age 15 got her tongue crib / spikes  a few months ago and we did not give her the option of having them or not ..the same as her getting her braces in the first place. Her orthodontist recommended it and we insisted she get it even though we knew it would be tough for her. When they were done putting it in she was also a bit shocked as it had a row of spikes, not the loops, that really forced her to try and reposition her tounge correctly. Yes she couldn't talk to start and now she has had relearn her speech to over the last few months, which is incredibly difficult when you having your tounge rasped when it is in the wrong position, but she has no real choice. But even now still has a prononced lisp and tends to drool a bit but we remind her to wipe :smileyhappy: and we have been as supportive as we can be. Yes she begged us to have it taken out but we but wouldn't consider it, may sound a bit cruel but  she needs this. Yes eating still is not pleasant as it protrudes down so it is difficult to get food into her mouth and she has elastics on her braces as well which don't help either. Yes it does show below he front teeth which she is very self consious about, tries to cover her mouth with her hand when talking and also avoids opening her mouth to smile or laugh ... but hey this are things, with the lisp and eating she will have to get used to ...as she will need to wear it for about another year or so. Yes it get easier with time, but the first few month have not been fun at all for her but as we say in this family, no pain, gain....

jozkid

Congrats! What a great smile! I had braces for 2 and a half years between 5th and 7th grades. I remember constantly sliding my upper lip over my top teeth when I got them off. I'm sure I looked like a freak. :smileyhappy:

It definitely was worth the time and effort. Enjoy your new smile!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thanks! It sure does feel slimy haha

jozkid

I prefer slippery. haha

Spyski

(0) Hearts

lol, you know what I meant. Ha

Spyski

Today was the day!!! I got those suckers off. Here's a pic of afterwards. Just got out of shower and used the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate followed by Tarte's Maracuja oil as my moisturizer. No makeup just my fav lippie atm Clinique Intense Chubby in mightiest maraschino.image.jpg

midnightangel

It must be such a relief to have all of that extra stuff out of your mouth at last.

Congrats, love. :smileyhappy: 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Indeed. Between the mole removals and these being off...feels like a brand new me :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

you look stunning spyski! look at those straight teeth! 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thank ya, making me create my own natural blush right now hehe :smileyhappy:

jojobe

Yeah! They are so straight and pretty. I bet you feel like a new person! Your smile is beautiful and you are a beautiful person! 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thanks jojobe! They feel slimy strange right now. Not used to it, but I can't stop wearing red lipsticks. Oh, how I've missed those!!!

kenny

Yay! Congrats, it must feel amazing!

Spyski

yes indeed! I can't wait to eat sushi without rice getting stuck in them or lettuce from a burger, but most importantly NOT getting dark lipstick smeared onto the wires!!!

kenny

Ooh yes, I still have a wire behind my teeth (been there for 6 years?) that gets stuff stuck in there. Your mouth must feel spacious. Enjoy it and show it off with some fabulous lipstick.

Spyski

Thank ya I sure will! I have to go back in tomorrow for a bottom permanent retainer for a year, not really sure how they will do that but we'll see 

kenny

My permanent retainer is just a wire behind my teeth (top and bottom) that they cemented on

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Clearly it's not as bad as getting wire adjustments for braces and such eh? 6 yrs though, phew! 

kalex

I have a wire behind my bottom teeth.  I wish they had put one on my top teeth too because those have shifted and I'm thinking about getting braces again.

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

What you need to do is tell the orthodontist no. They can't do anything without your permission. Have them take it off. It's as simple as that. Also I had braces for 6 years and never had a crib, despite my overbite. I'm not so sure this thing is necessary for anyone.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 111 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • carrierose
    • jojobe