Spyski

Braces.

I was always one of those kids growing up being deathly scared of getting braces. I'm now turning 24 this year, and also going into my second year of having braces. I wanted to improve my confidence kind of like what some of us do with makeup. The braces really have improved my teeth, smile, and confidence over the past year which I'm very thankful for. They are also barely noticeable (clear ceramic) which is great for my profession right now, and wearing red lipstick :smileywink: So long story short, I went to get them tightened yesterday and to no surprise I'm told they will be adding something onto my teeth...a "tongue crib". Without giving me anytime to ask questions or think about this option, they placed the anchors into my back molars to get ready for the device next visit in June. Now, you guys maybe wondering what this tongue crib appliance is...It is basically an orthodontic appliance to resist the tongue from thrusting against one's teeth which causes an overbite and protruding front teeth overtime. After doing some pretty extensive research, I've found it to be a very impractical option for me. I don't have an overbite for one and my front teeth are not protruding forward. I work in a corporate environment and have to socialize with people often, which the crib actually gives you a horrible lisp (which I already have a slight lisp as is). They said I would have to wear it for 1-2 years. I'm just so frustrated right now and don't really know what to do. I already feel like a 12 yr old in a suit with braces on, but adding a tongue crib that has metal spikes in my mouth will make me now talk like a 12 yr old. Ugh! Does anybody have any advice or has experienced orthodontic appliances as an adult?

I took a pic of the crib at my orthodontist yesterday. It looks like something out of a horror movie! IMG_1818.JPG

serioustree

Re: Braces.

Dear Everyone

I'm thankful I found this thread. I'm turning 25 in September and I have a pretty bad overbite..... And am planning to get braces next year as soon as I save enough money for a down payment. 

This is such valuable info! I'm always weary of walking into doctors offices and having them recommend such things to be because you never know if they've partnered with a drug company ... Etc...

rikkie

Oh my god, it looks like some sort of medieval torture device! I'm so glad your orthodontist was able to give you another solution, elastics aren't awesome, but I know I'd take them any day of the week over that!

I hated my orthodontist and never got any information about what he was doing until after he had done it. Such a scary feeling. I got my braces off during ninth grade (last year of jr high in Canada, not first year of high school) and took my retainer out for band class one day and forgot it there in the music room. When I went back for it, someone had already turned it in to the lost and found in the office. By the time I went to pick it up, someone else had claimed my retainer!! Who does that??? Confession: I never got a new one. 

Spyski

LMAO! Who claims a retainer! You're right, that is kinda odd...unless you live in New Orleans or Haiti. You know what they say about voodoo. J/k

jojobe

(0) Hearts

That is just gross... it's not like anyone else can really even wear it... yuck!

rikkie

Haha, I think I was safe. Unless that's why the last year has been so infuriatingly difficult... don't know why they'd wait ten years though. :smileytongue: It has just got to be one of the oddest mysteries that has ever happened to me.

sephoralovex

Oh my gosh that looks scary! I had braces about 3 years ago and just got them taken off last year and to maintain my straight teeth my ortho gave me permanent retainers. Which if you google it, it's like stuck on the back of your teeth 24/7. I'm thinking about getting them removed in a couple years, though I want to really soon since even after a year they still kind of bother me when I eat and just feeling it with my tongue is annoying.

kariyava

(0) Hearts

I am actually a little jealous.  I hated the removable retainers I got and stopped wearing them after I got married (because they are so not sexy).  After a few years of no retainer use, my front teeth bucked out a bit (not as bad as they were but still noticeable). I am so not willing to re-do the braces thing at this point, but I really wish I had something like a permanent retainer so that I would still have good looking teeth!

Spyski

Sorry I haven't kept up with everybody's advice. I want to thank everyone of you, and ultimately made the decision for myself not to go with the "crib". I spoke to my ortho, and he decided to go an alternate route. Rubber bands. They are working! :smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

Yay!!!  I'm glad to hear you and your orthodontist found a solution that works for you and gets the job done well!  (P.S. I'm finally able to access BT after a week of terrible internet connection and site issues, I'll respond to your PM as soon as I can!)

clayte

Hey girl, I just got my braces put on two days ago. I, too, have metal spikes that are on the back of my top 4 upper teeth. I am turning 27 in a month or so, and I am a freelance graphic designer. Talking to customers is 95% of the job!! Not only does it hurt, I sound awful. I have such an annoying lisp, I can't swallow anything correctly, and I'm just all-in-all uncomfortable. My orthodontist (who is a great family friend) told me we can take them out if it gets too bad, so I planned on taking them out on my next appointment. 

The thing is...I'm a tongue thruster, right? So, if I never train my tongue to stop pushing my upper teeth, then I will never have a permanent solution for my mouth. My mom has the same issue, and she's 54 years old. She said she would prefer braces and spikes over a lifetime of jaw and teeth problems. No one ever said it would be easy. Good things take work (and a lisp, I guess). So, I've decided to adjust my attitude. I look at it this way: it will keep me from talking too much, allow me to listen more, plus I'm on a juicing kick, which will promote healthy eating in the long run. Trust me, I highly prefer the spikes to be taken out immediately, but I'm going to try to stick it out as long as possible. Maybe giving it time will pay off in more ways than one. Good luck!! (to both of us)

Spyski

Aw girl thanks for your warm insight! I hope you're doing ok with the braces and having to adjust your lifestyle a little bit. You'll eventually get used to it and be more confident with your smile :smileyhappy:

I didn't end up getting the tongue thruster, my ortho gave me an alternative option since my tongue thrust wasn't that bad anyway. I just ended up using rubber bands on one side from the bottom to the top of my teeth in order to pull my crossbite over. I only have to wear them at night, so that's a plus! Yeah, I can't really open my mouth at night, but hey so far it's working! It's uncomfortable at first, but a a Motrin or two does the trick for me.

I feel bad that your option was the tongue thruster, I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end though! Maybe you can talk to your ortho about alternatives like how I did if it gets to the point where it's just making you want to rip it out? Kudos to you for going through it though! 

The only thing that bothers me about braces in general is AFTER getting them tightened. Since the teeth are moving into new locations afterwards, it usually takes about a week for me to start experiencing kanker sores from my braces rubbing my cheeks. Remember to use wax on the brackets as SOON as you feel like it's irritating your gums or cheeks. Also, getting your braces tightened doesn't hurt. I don't know who came up with that and why people fear braces. It's going from an aluminum small gauge wire to a heavy steel gauged wire that hurts afterwards (usually at night into the next morning). Just remember to dose up on Motrin afterwards or take a Lortab (which really helped with the pain). Don't worry though, you probably won't be getting into steel wires until 6 months to a year.

clayte

P.S. This is round #3 of braces for me.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Oops, sorry about all the advice. Didn't know you already had them :smileysad:

Dang girl! More kudos to you!!!!!!!!!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Sorry clayte, that sounds painful :smileysad:

Glad you're trying to find a good side to the situation, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

solveig

I would definitely advise you to go out and seek a second professional opinion (meaning another orthodontist). Your experience with braces depends almost entirely on your doctor. If more than one orthodontist says that this appliance is what you need to go through, then it is most likely true, sadly. I think I know how much comfort means to you (working in a professional environment, having weird metal things in your mouth - been there, done that, actually I am 6 months into my treatment plan)., although I haven't had a tongue crib), but sometimes beauty is pain.

starletta8

Keep in mind that you have the right to say no as the patient- especially as a patient over 18.  Ask questions- lots of them. Any doctor who refuses to answer questions is one to be wary of.

I'm not a professional, but if you're questioning the treatment, that tells me that you need answers. Don't let them do anything to you without your informed consent.  Period.

lindzyfeff

As Orthodontist, I think your first mistake is to ask lay folk who haven't spent years studying the medical and dental research behind any of their statements and the appliance in question.  The appliance has been around FOREVER and is PROVEN to work.  Much like any other medical procedure that you may decide against, despite it's KNOWN improvement to the whatever your ailment is, its your choice to not choose the BEST treatment.  The tongue crib is designed to FIX the issue without your cooperation, since tongue therapy and training is much like going to the gym everyday, 3 times a day... It takes constant practice to overcome, since you have had this habit since you were a child.  Braces can fix your teeth for only a moment in time and a retainer will hold the teeth, but not in the case of a tongue thrust.  Because whatever you do for more than 7 hours a day (pushing on your teeth with your tongue) will change your dentition, resulting in relapse to your original state.  So unless you plan on wearing a retainer 17 hours a day, then understand your decisions affect your treatment outcome.  You are able to decline a tongue crib, but understand your opinions and decisions affect your results.  If you are ok with your teeth reverting back to their old ways, and choosing your treatment, instead of a trained DR (orthodontist), then by all means go for it.  But understand that something that doesn't look good or feel great, doesn't mean its bad for you or wrong, such as when you get a cast for your arm.  The tongue crib is highly researched and is not barbaric by any stretch, it's only thought this way by highly inexperienced, lay folk who haven't spent more than a day studying dentofacial orthopedics.  If that is who you trust rather than a DR, then goodluck!

Spyski

I appreciate your informative speech intuition, but I talked to my orthodontist and I found an alternative that doesn't make me look and talk like a barbaric beast with a lisp :smileyhappy:

If you're an orthodontist, what is your website?

I know you wouldn't be ashamed of promoting your business...

emmaclaire

I'm glad you're not my orthodontist.  Assuming you even are an orthodontist.

If you are, you need to check your rudeness and condescension at the door, immediately.  Giving a professional opinion does not mean belittling patients or non-professionals.  You clearly think you're far more intelligent than any of us, but your terrible attitude won't encourage anyone to listen to your advice, no matter how qualified it is.  So "goodluck" to you finding patients who are willing to put up with your snide remarks.

Spyski

+1

kd006

Couldn't have said it better myself.. I wish I could give this 100 hearts.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 111 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • carrierose
    • jojobe