iknowitstoday

Book recommendations?

Has anyone come across any good books theyliked enough to share with a friend?! 

I Would also love what is your favorite book of all time.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!

LCResz

Re: Book recommendations?

(0) Hearts

So many favorites but I highly recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig, Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, and The Little Prince by Saint Exupery. They will make you contemplate the world around you with a view askance, leaving you a sadder but wiser person.

1930sbella

(0) Hearts

haha.....do you really want to know what one of my all time favorites is? An Old Fashioned Girl by Liousa May Alcott :smileyhappy:.

qmgirl

(0) Hearts

I like anything by Elizabeth Lowell.

But at the moment I find myself reading smut (with some murder and mystery of course lol) so I can't really be of much help to you. lol :smileywink:

DealDiva

(0) Hearts

I just picked up the orange it the new

black because if it has a book I want to read it first!!

magrat22

Anything Terry Pratchett, I love all his books (well maybe with the exception of the very first one).  Also love the romantic classics: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre etc.  Christopher Moore is also brilliant although slightly risky, he writes satire but with the odd bit of lewdness thrown in.  

Fav book of all time: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.  Beautifully intricate and completely immerses you into the magical 18th century.  

iknowitstoday

I think we should come up with one Theme per month and then vote on the book like February romance, march strong e female characters...and then you can nominate your book that fits the theme

the second week of the month and then it's voted on the third week???

dannyc

I think the voting should be done a month in advance. The book club I'm in with my neighbors is done like that. We vote on the book the month before & then have a whole month to read the book. If it's a long book then we meet & discuss at the 1/2 way mark & then again at the end. 

But it's my neighbors...so lots of wine & good food is involved. We end up gossiping & talk more about the book at the mailbox than we do at the meetings. 

magrat22

I find Goodreads is a great place for inspiration on what to pick for a book club. They have a 'Popular Book Club Suggestions Books' list.  You can even start at the top and just work through the list that way the decision is already made.  Voting works too though :smileyhappy: 

qmgirl

(0) Hearts

I love goodreads!

iknowitstoday

I think that is fantastic idea (I like how I left NO actual time to be reading any of these books)

dannyc

(0) Hearts

LOL I scratched my head while reading your post. I can be a quick reader if I forget about everything else in life & just devote myself to the book....but that's not the smartest of choices :smileywink: 

LCResz

if you like The Hunger Games you might like Stephen King's novels The Running Man and The Long Walk written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. I love a good dystopic world view!

tinaaz

[ Edited ]

Here are my favorite books:

1. The Hunger Games series (yes, I'm freakily obsessed :smileyvery-happy:)

2. The Harry Potter series

3. The Lord of the Rings series

4. The Fault in Our Stars (a warning, it will make you sob)

5. The Divergent series

6. Interview with the Vampire

7. The Sherlock Holmes stories

8. The Night Circus

God, I could never choose one favorite!!

maltipoo66

I just read some great books!  Here are the titles:

-Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

-The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

-Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

-The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Most of these are "meaning of life" books that I've found to be particularly inspirational.  Definitely worth checking them out!

jaimelove

sookie stackhouse series, a song of ice and fire series, and of course the harry potter series are my favorites, and i recently read the night circus and it was so dang good! watership down was great, and i'm reading the 4th book in the hangman's daughter series and they've been really good too :smileyhappy: i also loved the hunger games! 

DesertRose0706

My favorite book is definetely Ender's Game.  If you haven't read it yet, I highly reccomend it.  Especially if you like science fiction.

jaimelove

i loved ender's game! i just recently found out that it's the first in a series, too, so i need to hunt those down pronto!

waterbaby1981

(0) Hearts

books made into a movie I've read recently are the "I Am Number Four" series.  The movie was actually following the book VERY closely, which I've found is rare.  The other books in the series are just as good and action packed as well, and well written enough to keep you reading until you're done with the book at 4 am in the morning.

janinebt

I have so many favorite books I could go on forever.

The Handmaid's Tale

Interview with the Vampire

The Vampire Lestat

Watership Down

Carrie

Running with Sissors

Beloved

The Last Unicorn

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

The Canterbury Tales

Chronicles of a Death Foretold

And anything by Poe!

I have a tendency to be drawn to Nostalgic memoirs and epic adventure stories.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Katelyn011

[ Edited ]

If you are movie obsessed, books that are made into movies are definitely a popular buy.  The divergent series is soon to become movie made.  I'd definitely say Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • kalex
    • dannyc
    • maltipoo66
    • waterbaby1981
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt