iknowitstoday

Book recommendations?

Has anyone come across any good books theyliked enough to share with a friend?! 

I Would also love what is your favorite book of all time.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!

tashalicious

Re: Book recommendations?

(0) Hearts

Another interesting book, Joyland by Stephen King

its a mystery, ghost,.crime story :smileyvery-happy:

LCResz

Good book for a BT book club: Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. The whole series is good, but this first book is full of action, relationship drama, and of course knights in shining armor who totally deserve a good whooping!

dannyc

I would love to be a part of a BT book club! 

iknowitstoday

Could we PUHLEASE START ONE!!

tashalicious

we should start a book club :smileyvery-happy:

magrat22

(0) Hearts

YES!!  Would love that.

kimchikween

I've recommended Tina Fey's Bossypants to all my friends - especially the audiobook.  I had a long drive (10 hours roundtrip) and this kept me both awake and attentive the whole way.  I did get some funny looks from people who saw me cracking up in the car.

Other fave books:

• The Fountainhead --> It's a long one, but I just love how she writes.  Can't even count how many times I've reread it
  • Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales - These are not your G-rated tales..much more macabre and interesting
  • Sherlock Homes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) - the latest TV shows (namely the BBC One) have been great, but you can't beat the original
LadyInWhite

I *just* picked up Bossypants on audiobook and am waiting for a decent stretch of time where I can listen to it.  I'm glad someone else loves it.

dannyc

(0) Hearts

I need new books in my life so I will be paying close attention to this thread. I have a few on my nook that I've purchased, but haven't gotten around to reading yet. I prefer series and will sometimes re-read them. 

What kind of books do you like? What was the last "I can't put it down until I'm finished" book? 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I dont really know if I can narrow down a favorite book of all time... but I have some books I've read recently and liked:

1. Night Circus

2. Divergent 

3. Insurgent

4. When I Found You - Catherine Ryan Hyde

nebel

The best one I've read recently is The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling aka Robert Galbraith.

Other  standout favorites include The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle,  Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell By Susanna Clarke, and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I also love everything by Agatha Christie and R. Austin Freeman.

janinebt

(0) Hearts

I LOVE The Last Unicorn! One of my favorites.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
clarks18

(0) Hearts

What a great topic!!  I've been looking for a new book to read. 

My favorite author is Jennifer Donnelly.  She has a wide range of books she has written a childrens book, a couple teenaged book, and a few adult aimed books.  I love her series that starts with The Tea Rose.  I have read that book at least once a year since I first read it back in 2009.  It's amazing and so captivating.  It takes place in England around the time Jack the Ripper was active.  If you like historical drama/romance books than this would be a great read.  It follows a young girl Fiona.  The two follow up books also have Fiona as a main character and show hre growing up more.  the second book is the The Winter Rose, and the third book is The Wild Rose.   

LadyInWhite

I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman too, but I'd have to say that my favorite author is Terry Pratchett of Discworld fame.  He writes satires and parodies on everything from Hollywood and rock 'n roll to universities and Australia.  Everything is just so funny and well thought out, but I will admit that the first Discworld novel isn't a good one to start with; it's different enough in tone to sound like it was written by a different person.

I also love Meg Cabot.  She's the only author I know who could write a good book entirely out of email exchanges.

magrat22

(0) Hearts

Love, love, love Terry Pratchett.  I owned every book he wrote and then my house got flooded and I lost them all :smileysad:  Then I got a kindle and got them all back :smileyhappy:.  Not the same as having them in paperback and with the first edition artwork but at least I got to enjoy them for the time I had them.   Totally agree with you on the first book, I was lucky and had a good friend introduce me to the series so she told me to start at the second book.  

rikkie

I have to say I really enjoyed seeing the way their writing interacted in Good Omens, You can tell sometimes which sentence was written by Neil or by Terry, but it's not jarring in the least. I should reread it, it was a fun book.

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

Me too!  I had to reread Good Omens pretty much the minutes I finished it, so I could work out who wrote what.  What's your favorite character group by Terry?  I'm a huge Granny Weatherwax fan myself.

dianabt

I love books and am constantly reading- I just checked out a few more at the library and found some on my "to read" list as well but have to make a second trip as my arms were already full :smileyhappy:

I love books by Joyce Carol Oates (really terror driven psychological thrillers) as well as Meg Cabot, Curtis Sittenfeld  (both much more positive and fun) and especially Jodi Picoult. Picoult's books can be a bit lengthy but always have a crazy plot twist you were NOT expecting. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
joeanne

My favorite book of all time is Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. If I had to choose another favorite, it would be The Book of The Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr.  It is such a beautiful, sad and powerful book.

My friends think I'm a bit odd because I love books about the apocalypse; how the world might end and what it might be like.

It doesn't have to be zombies LOL! But I just find some of the stories fascinating. I would put Stephen King's The Stand in this category, also Robert McCammon's Swan Song, one of the best I've read!

JenBlush

Thats good because i am sure you know how to survive now right? Lol i am somewhat interested in that genre too! Lol

kalex

Gone With the Wind is my hands-down favorite book.  I first read it when I was 15 and have read it almost annually since.

I just passed the Anne of Green Gables series on to my oldest daughter.  Still a good read even way out of grade school!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • kalex
    • dannyc
    • maltipoo66
    • waterbaby1981
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt