Askenjuri

Bite Beauty gaffe

Hasn't anyone noticed that Bite Beauty has named one of their Lush Fruit Lip Gloss's "Strangefruit"?  Isn't anyone else disturbed by this?

Strange Fruit, since no one seems to know, is the title of a famous jazz song sung by Billie Holliday (among many others).  The song is about the lynching of black men in the Jim Crow South, with their bodies being the 'strange fruit' that Southern trees bear.

Now I don't know anything about this company, maybe they are not American owned or based, so they don't realize the connotations.  I've told this to several people my own age(late 30's) and older and they were all appalled.  To date I have not seen any sign on Sephora (reviews, product Q&A, or here in BT) that anyone notices or cares. 

And that is even more disturbing than the name itself.

lsp2005

Re: Bite Beauty gaffe

[ Edited ]

When you see injustice, it is important to speak up and make others aware. I am from the US but had never heard of the term prior to reading this comment thread. I think it would be a good idea for you to write to Bite's corporate offices to make them aware of the issue. 

It reminds me of the Chevy Nova, which was a flop in Mexico because in Spanish, no va means no go. The powers that be did not do their due diligence when creating the name. Chevy is a huge corporation. I am sure they did not mean to create such a flop because of a name. Once they were made aware of the issue they renamed the cars. I would hope that Bite's mistake was made because they were unaware of the term rather than maliciously or offensively deciding to name a product that would disturb so many people. 

Bring the issue to the attention to the corporate powers. Should they not respond appropriately, which IMO, should be renaming the product and pulling the offending products from the shelves and renaming them, then I think a public campaign would be warranted. 

Good luck with your campaign! 

nebel

I am chiming in merely to stand in solidarity with my sisters fighting the good fight.    You know who you are, my loves.

Wouldn't the world be a lovely place if people could empathize with others, and see outside their own limited experiences?  Wouldn't it be grand to be free of racist @sshats? 

emmaclaire

tumblr_m0h87siEEo1qaropco1_500.gif

sparklekai

rupaul.jpg

starletta8

OK.  First let me state that although I'm in my 30s, I wasn't familiar with the reference.

Now that I've been made aware of it, I hope that Bite takes action once they've been notified. Given that their other shades are generally fruits, I don't necessarily assume ill intent here.

I do hope that the shade is renamed rather than just discontinued- it's actually a great shade.  I just won't look at it the same way again now that I've been educated.

Beauty is meant to uplift and be fun, not to tear down groups of people.

crayzeeRN

I find it interesting I've never heard of this reference before either. I'm from the US and I'm 25. I even took a jazz music history class in college and we never talked about this song- although we did talk about Billy Holiday.

HawaiianEyes7

I agree with what a few others have said, that people outside the US or even some in the US probably have no idea what Strangefruit is. I'm sure Bite did not name their product after the song or the events the song is based on. I personally don't get offended by product names, because they're just names. However, some people are offended by the slightest things. I'm not saying anyone here doesn't have the right to be offended/disturbed, but I do think some people are oversensitive (again, not anyone here) and need to put things in perspective. If words aren't being used in a harmful way, like in a product name for example, then I don't see why the company should be forced to change it. That being said, I'm a firm believer in speaking up for something you are passionate about. If you feel personally offended by this name or any other name for that matter, then let your voice be heard! But, at the end of the day, I think everyone should remember that it's just a name of a lipgloss.

joeanne

I can't stop following this thread. People feel so passionately about it. Now i remember why I promised myself never to discuss politics or religion with my family!

HawaiianEyes7

Yes, there are a lot of passionate people here, which I think is great! I think it's better to be opinionated than to just accept the popular opinion!

FireSpinner

Is Urban Decay going to rename their one eyeshadow cause it's called sn@tch? 

heartsmyface

UDs names are very sexual. N00ner for one gets bleeped when you try to recommend the shade because it means afternoon s3x. 

emmaclaire

Urban Decay and NARS, both of whom use sexually explicit language in their products, have a polarizing effect on users.  Many people validly point out that it raises issues of misogyny/sexism and is all around inappropriate, while others argue that it could also be seen as empowering to be open and unashamed of sex and sexual terms.  This is apples and oranges (to me) because I don't think anyone would say that using a politically and historically charged racist term to market cosmetics is supported by the community against whom that racism is directed.

chocopudding

I'm not familiar enough with UD, but now I'm racking my mind trying to imagine what color "sn@tch" would be. Hm. Maybe I shouldn't go there after all.....eeps.

emmaclaire

Yeah I find it best not to think about that one too hard LOL

doriangray

If I was browsing Bite products and I saw that, it would disturb me.  

I don't want to speculate on what the company's motivation was.  What matters now is what they do now that customers have made them aware.  I think it would be fine if they just pulled the products and renamed them.  

heartsmyface

they'll be in high demand with the old name on ebay if they get pulled. Lol. So goes the world. 

love2shop42

Sephora has a responsibility to, this thread has been a hot topic on their main page now for hours and hours and not one mod has come in and said that they would report the problem to management so they could talk to Bite about it. I mean really, Sephora is selling it and could easily pull the product and ask for it to be renamed!

killahbabe

I'm actually disappointed in Bite. Names aren't drawn from a effing hat in corporations like this so I'm not so sure I agree with people claiming ignorance on Bite's behalf. I was pissed/annoyed at KVD when she had Celebrutard. Although, I don't shop KVD's lipsticks and didn't even know about it until Sephora offered it in a promo awhile back. But I was disappointed when I found out and then pissed off at KVD's reaction to the bad press (which was basically: "Eff you guys. It's only a word."). Her reaction made me never shop her line again. It'll be interesting to see if Bite has a response and if so what that response will be. If it's similar to KVD, I will cut them from my shopping list as well. Don't tell me "it's only a word" when I know d@mned well that these "words" were carefully chosen and not just something that haphazardly happened.

Words have immense power and I think it's irresponsible to downplay the effect they have. I understand the viewpoint from people that didn't know what those words meant and thinking perhaps that it's not a big deal. I'm willing to entertain the idea of even Bite being ignorant to the connotations of this word. But for the people who know full well the meaning behind those words and still think it's not a big deal... that kind of bothers me. Seriously... strange fruit. If you've ever seen pictures or depictions of what a strange fruit really is, what it means, it should bother you... it should effing haunt you. It represents the most abhorrent and reprehensible behavior that people can inflict on one another.

If you're okay with Celebrutard and Strange Fruit, would you be okay with some lipsticks with names like: R@pe Red, Ped0phile Pink, J3w Blood, Native American Tears, Child Murder, Rwanda Genocide Red, etc...? Yes? Then maybe you're a bit of an a-hole. No? Why? Is it only a problem if it's something that bothers you personally?

What's the point of names like those? To bring up pain or bad memories for some but not all people? To cause just enough of an outrage to get your product on people's radar? I'm all for marketing and making money, but tactics like this absolutely disgust me. And I wont play along. I wont say that this is Bite's strategy, as Bite has yet to respond to this, but it was absolutely KVD's strategy based on her flippant response to outrage.

Sorry this has been so long and a bit angry, but honestly... I'm a bit angry about it. And reading some things that people have wrote on here has made me feel compelled to say something as it's stirred up quite a bit of rage inside me. Hopefully hitting "enter" will make me feel better.

*I had to do a decent amount of editing to make this "safe" for BT. I hope the edit doesn't stifle my passion on this subject.

jobro1027

Okay, there's a HUGE difference between "Strange Fruit" and "R@pe Red."

The latter has a very specific meaning. And while Strange Fruit may be the name of a song about something bad, it could also simply mean a strange fruit. Haven't you ever eaten something and thought, "Well that tastes strange?"

nebel

Preach it, Sister.

neko333

All of the example terms you listed were incredibly straight forward. Those words/terms all have very straightforward definitions. Strange could actually just mean strange and the **bleep** thing was obviously meant towards stupid celebrities not to people who are mentally handicapped. We are officially back to apples vs oranges. At the end of the day no one really cares. I'm more worried about the people who have actually been r@ped then what someone names a lipstick. Don't get me wrong that name would be atrocious and I wouldn't buy it. I just wouldn't get all mad and upset over something stupid. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 207 replies
  • 822 hearts
  • 66 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva