Askenjuri

Bite Beauty gaffe

Hasn't anyone noticed that Bite Beauty has named one of their Lush Fruit Lip Gloss's "Strangefruit"?  Isn't anyone else disturbed by this?

Strange Fruit, since no one seems to know, is the title of a famous jazz song sung by Billie Holliday (among many others).  The song is about the lynching of black men in the Jim Crow South, with their bodies being the 'strange fruit' that Southern trees bear.

Now I don't know anything about this company, maybe they are not American owned or based, so they don't realize the connotations.  I've told this to several people my own age(late 30's) and older and they were all appalled.  To date I have not seen any sign on Sephora (reviews, product Q&A, or here in BT) that anyone notices or cares. 

And that is even more disturbing than the name itself.

ivyxox

Re: Bite Beauty gaffe

Bite beauty is a Canadian company based in Toronto. I live in Toronto too, no one around me seems to know what this means. But you should definitely contact bite beauty or sephora about this issue. I'm sure they will respond quickly.

Chickibum

[ Edited ]

I'm  27, born and raised  in Toronto. Never heard of strange fruit or any meaning behind it. Never thought twice about the name. I don't want this to come off as rude, but the term is just not common knowledge around here. Our culture is a little different than Americans. Slaves from America fled to Canada, in particular Nova Scotia, where my husband is from. He's a descendant of one of the men who fled slavery, and he didn't know the term either (he's 30). So I think it boils down to awareness. Hopefully someone made Bite aware and they can change the name. 

mrsbaine

I sent them a note. 

Chickibum

I'm so sad that a company from my city would do this. I truly believe it was a mistake and not malicious and I hope they do the right thing and pull it. Thank you for sending them a note

joeanne

Perhaps your best course of action would be to address this issue with Bite Beauty directly. I don't really think you want a discussion or debate here on BT over the name, but awareness on what that name means.

I honestly had no idea what it meant, and I thank you for the history behind the word, however tragic.  I would be interested to see how the name was picked by Bite Beauty.

quixotic

sweetsweetirony and nhunka -

Are there things that matter more than the name of a lipstick, sure (no, I don't think who wins on American Idol is one of those things).  But this is Beauty Talk - a place where we all come to discuss beauty products (a discussion on the name of a lipstick is entirely appropriate) in a friendly, respectful manner.  Your posts were neither. Unless you personally know most of the men and women here, you are not in a position to judge them or what they think on important issues or how much of their time they give to those issues. 

And whether you wish to admit it or not - words have meaning.  Let me give you a personal example. I am a female attorney who has all male bosses. When I come up in court against another female attorney, my bosses inevitably label it a "cat fight." If I were male, I'd be described as a go-getter, having backbone, or having a pair of something else. I know this because that is how my male colleagues are described, even when doing the exact same job I am doing. Nars makes a pink lipstick that I love the shade of, but its called "cat fight." Do you honestly think I could wear that color without what that phrase means in my daily life going through my head?

I repeat, words have meaning. And just because those words don't affect you personally doesn't mean they don't affect someone.  If you care about your fellow men and women, as you both claim and I believe you do, then try to be a little more empathic and understand how words, yours included, can hurt other people.

emmaclaire

Beautifully said and I agree with everything.  As a side note: yay for women in the legal profession on BT!  I'm a graduating law student :smileyhappy:  

quixotic

Way to go, Emma! I know you'll kick some serious a** on the bar exam!! When do you take it?

mrsbaine

woot woot! Good luck with the BAR. :smileyhappy: 

emmaclaire

Thank you!!!! The terror has slowly started to set in LOL

SweetSweetIrony

Wouldn't time be better served getting upset and petitioning things that, oh I don't know, actually matter? Minimum wage, women's reproductive choice, environmental safety laws, who's going to win on American Idol. Literally just about everything is more important than what a company named a cosmetic.

I'm American, I've never heard the term "Strange Fruit" before. Nor do I care.

mrsbaine

Wow, this has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've read on here. Racism matters. Referring to products by names notourious for crimes and violations of human rights matter. So, literally, this is in fact important. You need to think a bit more broad minded; some 13 year old gets this, then starts using the name in normal conversation, and we have problems. LOTS of American's, not just Black ones have worked very hard to have things like this not happen, so understand sweetsweetirony (which I find ironic) that this stuff matters. *drops mic. 

ghkim

just because you are ignorant about something does not mean it isn't important.

meagboho

What the fluff. Just because you (and some others) might not care, doesn't negate the fact that there are people who do.

Like I said before this is a respect thing.  Have some sympathy.

BlushHoarder

Obviously someone has heard of it and is offended by it. So it isn't important to you ---- did you need to actually post that???

OP finds it relevant and that is worth investigating.

IttyxBittyxMe

As someone who's had a family member lynched it matters to some people as it's not something to take lightly. Or, ya know, when just three years ago about 45 minutes away from me a black man was hung from a tree that was set on fire by his drunk white 'friend'. It's not something to be taken lightly

I don't care about cosmetic names like Deep Throat, Org@sm, N o o n e r, or anything sexual are those are things that we have no reason to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. It's a part of sex, big whoop. But something that crosses into racism and murder? I'd prefer it if things like that weren't taken so lightly and shrugged off as 'whatever'.

redwagon44

Wow..... This is probably the rudest thing I've read on these forums. "I don't understand the meaning of those words, so I don't care. If I don't care, you shouldn't either". Really, could you be more selfish and ignorant? 

nhunka

People need to chill out. It is a waste of time to even be concerned about these names like celebutard, deep throat and so on. For all I know I am not gonna let things like that bother me because I am not a butthurt hippie and there is other real problems to be concerned about. I see more people flipping out about minor things that do not matter( like brand or product names) than people who actually take their time to do charity or help those in need.

MlleCC

Dismissing those of us, who are concerned about the connotations of this term, as "butthurt hippies" is disrespectful to people who have suffered and continue to suffer from the violence of racism.  

I don't think that the OP or anyone who has commented in this thread means for this to be an attack on Bite's reputation.  As a fan of Bite products, I hope that they will address this issue once they understand its significance.  

emmaclaire

If caring about not being racist means I'm a "butthurt hippie" than I'll be a "butthurt hippie."  I personally think black history in America (and everywhere else for that matter) is extremely important, so a hideous, racist, slave-era term being used lightly anywhere for anything really doesn't fly.  You should take some time to reflect on institutionalized racism, culture of racism, and black history before you dismiss it offhand.

nhunka

When did I say I dismissed the issue of racism? Don't set up a strawman. A word is offensive only if you make it offensive. As in the case of Starngefruit, I had no idea it referred to the lynching of black men. 

I am Ukrainian. Nars has a lip pencil named Red Square  (It is a major square in Moscow, Russia). I own that lip pencil. In the light of recent events, I have the right to completely flip out, find a negative connotation in that , and bash on the company. I would totally start agitating agaisnt the pencil for whatever the reason I find it to be offensive. It is very easy to find something offensive, as can be seen from the example of Strange Fruit. if I had nothing better to do (ironically, I am wasting my time here posting this on BT) ,  I would start making posts like "Red Square lip pencil is offensive because it reminds me of the bloody communist past Ukraine had to be subjected to by imperialist Russia"

Or lets take another example, Saigon Summer lipstick by MAC. I am Vietnamese, so I have the right to flip out because it reminds me of the atrocities done by the U.S. soldiers in Vietnam. 

This may be a cultural thing, but I am a chill person, and do not try to find things offensive. I notice many Americans are very sensitive to different word connotations, and I UNDERSTAND that. I do know the U.S history well. All I am saying there is better things to be concerned about. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 207 replies
  • 822 hearts
  • 66 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva