Askenjuri

Bite Beauty gaffe

Hasn't anyone noticed that Bite Beauty has named one of their Lush Fruit Lip Gloss's "Strangefruit"?  Isn't anyone else disturbed by this?

Strange Fruit, since no one seems to know, is the title of a famous jazz song sung by Billie Holliday (among many others).  The song is about the lynching of black men in the Jim Crow South, with their bodies being the 'strange fruit' that Southern trees bear.

Now I don't know anything about this company, maybe they are not American owned or based, so they don't realize the connotations.  I've told this to several people my own age(late 30's) and older and they were all appalled.  To date I have not seen any sign on Sephora (reviews, product Q&A, or here in BT) that anyone notices or cares. 

And that is even more disturbing than the name itself.

emmaclaire

Re: Bite Beauty gaffe

You clearly just googled "straw man" and decided to use it without any idea what it means.  Words are not "offensive only if you make them offensive" and even stating that is the most obnoxious, ignorant, disrespectful thing to say.  We're not talking about ambiguous geographical references.  We're talking about BLATANT RACISM.  You're dismissing racism, period.  And you're telling people they don't have a right to be angry about it - that's BS, and I won't waste my time with foolish children who don't understand adult conversations.

Swerve.

love2shop42

[ Edited ]

No one set up a strawman, you are dismissive because you called all others who gave a **bleep** a "butthurt hippie", your words, not mine.

redwagon44

Well by all means please provide us a list of things you find acceptable to be upset about so we don't make any more errors such as this. 

nhunka

Sarcasm is a good way to dismiss someone's statement, however not in this case.

I was trying to make a point, that people often get upset too much over something that is not meant to be offensive. To me, strange fruit means a color that cannot he described by any regular fruit, a combination of, say, pink grapefruit and red apple. Even now I cannot associate the name of a lipstick with the lynching of black men. If someone does, I am sorry for them. One cannot be happy if they get irritated by little things. But each person has their own limit of how much they can tolerate, some have a shallow pool, some have a deeper pool of patience. 

Peace to all. I do not think this thread is worth all the worry and agitation. 

emmaclaire

Spoken like someone with a lot of white privilege.

aleishamaxime

[ Edited ]

are you saying people can't be concerned about multiple things at the same time?

meagboho

It's a respect thing.  The company likely doesn't know the negative connotations, it would take someone a minute to give them the heads up, and they would probably fix it pretty quickly.  People would still have plenty of time to help charities if they would like. 

Askenjuri

Yes, andyhtrieu I remember the Kat Von D lipstick, it's one of the reasons I don't wear her products.  I have a mentally handicapped sister, who is the sweetest, kindest, most loving person you could ever meet.  I have seen fools like Von D reduce her to tears by using the r- word.  I would never go near that word, even as a f$!&?ing lipstick.  

And even tho' I'm a huge fan of NARS, I avoid wearing names like Deep Throat, etc..  It just just strikes me as juvenile.  Maybe 14 year olds get a giggle by telling their boy/friends "oh, I'm wearing 0rgasm!"  I especially don't appreciate it at some of his price points.  He wants to position his brand as an upscale one, but he panders with these silly names

I get that Bite was trying to extend the fruit/color wordplay, and were stumped for a pale purple fruit, but it was a bad choice.  If the company has a conscience, they should pull it and rename it, but somehow I doubt they will.

End0ra

[ Edited ]

I am.  I've never heard the term outside of the song.  Plus, American or Canadian, they should have known the connotation.  I'm from Australia and I knew it!  It's a very famous song by a very famous person about a very infamous, horrible thing.  Trust me, it's well known outside the US.  There's no excuse whatever side of Niagara Falls this company is on.  It's an extremely distasteful name, IMHO.

snowshoe

I find it far less disturbing than KVD's "Underage Red."

kas045

[ Edited ]

Bite Beauty is a Canadian company. Strange fruit is also the name of a rock band. 

heartsmyface

I think if I had of seen this before I would have assumed they made a scent or flavour they couldn't identify so they just named it strange fruit. 

MlleCC

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting this -- I had no idea what this term meant until I saw your post.  

Judging from their other color names (food and wines seem to be the favorites), Bite doesn't strike me as a company that tries to be provocative à la NARS or Too Faced.  Regardless of intention, it is a poor choice of name, and I do hope that they would consider re-naming it.  

bratknits

I think it's more likely named for the LGBT public access show that's been on in NY since the 90's since that's where the Lip Lab is but they're a Canadian company so it could be something unique to the Great White North.

divagirl90

To be honest I've never really looked at that product. Maybe they meant it in an innocent way. I know that some companies try to be racy with their shade names (like Nars) but sometimes I think they really need to think about the connotations before releasing products.

Who knows, people were quick to ban that KVD lipstick that had a bad name.

andyhtrieu

I remember KVD tweeting, "At the end of the day, it's just a F@#$%^ lipstick" and then she deleted the tweet. 

andyhtrieu

Wow I had no idea. I think if you get enough people that feel the same way, you can get Bite to either pull it off the shelf, like what happened to KVD's lipstick in Celebutard, or you can probably get them to rename the product. But to be honest, I don't think they had any intentions for that lip gloss to be offensive. 

aleishamaxime

wow I didn't know this was a thing. I can't think of any other time I've heard strange fruit out of the context of that song so it's odd to me that literally no one at the company had any clues about the connotations.

I'm pretty sure they're American based. Google shows me New York and Ontario (CA) locations

Biedazzle

I had no idea either and honestly I can't believe no one in the company googled it before naming it that. I feel like that's something all companies should do before putting something out there and when I googled it, everything on the entire first page of results was about the song. I understand them not knowing since I didn't know but they probably should've looked into it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 207 replies
  • 822 hearts
  • 66 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • nathaliew
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva