AshOtto

Birth Control & Beauty

Hey there gals!

Thankfully this is not the early 20th century and we can discuss of feminine concerns openly and freely (whew!) So i recently received my first prescription for birth control pills and i was curious to know your experiences with pills, or any other form of contraception such as the shot or rings. Though i know every woman reacts differently to hormones and have read numerous reviews on the pills i am prescribed, let me know your successes and or failures and how it may or may not have affected you! :smileyhappy:

ngilland

Re: Birth Control & Beauty

(0) Hearts

I've had really varied experiences with birth control unfortunately. I tried a few different dual-hormone pills and NuvaRing. I didn't think I was having any real problems with them, but I realized after I stopped using them that they were causing my migraines. After that I used Mirena IUD for just under 5 years. It also wasn't bad, except my skin kept gradually getting worse and worse the whole time, until I was getting huge painful cysts that never healed. Since the husband and I know we're not having kids, I eventually got Essure, so now I don't have to worry about hormonal methods :-)

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

In need of some advice, ladies.

Some of you on here have mentioned that hormonal birth control make you crazy, hormonal, depressed, suicidal, etc. How long after you stopped your birth control did you start to feel more normal?

Teresaanne92

(0) Hearts

I just got off implanon about a month ago (releases hormones into your body gradually for 3 years). I hated it while I was on it. I have just now started to lose the weight that I gained on it (could not lose any while it still inserted as a side effect) and I am still experiencing mood swings as well. I am bipolar to start off with so added in with these hormones it is miserable. So far it's taking longer than a month for me. :smileysad:

yazmin

(0) Hearts

I took depo for about a year, I am regretting it everyday for the past year now... I gained so much weight, I am still trying to lose it, and now that I am married for 3 years I am having a hard time trying to get pregnant. Doctors tell me it was the depo and when friends ask me about it I tell them to take the pill instead.

AshOtto

(0) Hearts

Hellooo Ladies!!

First and foremost, if any of you are in the tri-state area, i hope that you are staying warm and safe in this snowstorm! :smileyhappy: So its officially been a month since my IUD insertion and i have updates:

Week 1: So the first week, i had abdominal cramping off and on, perhaps every other day. If i took excedrin or any other medication w/  ibuprofen i was fine. Began to spot at the end of the week

Week 2/3:  So i bled essentially for two weeks straight. Annoying because my longest period is usually only 6 days, with the last day being pretty much nonexistent. However, hormones and individual reactions vary from person to person. 

(my gyno did tell me that the first three months may have on/off bleeding/spotting)

Week 4: I noticed that i had temporarily gained 3 lbs of water weight which only stayed on me for about 4 days and was back to my normal weight.

Recommendations: Drink plenty of water and exercise! Im pretty active and exercise 4-6 times a week which includes lots of cardio, ab workouts etc which has definitely helped with combating the initial bloating/water weight. 

Hopefully these updates are helpful <3 As per usual, feel free to add in questions/comments about  your experiences! 

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

The only problem i had with it was that i gained about 15-20 pounds which on a 5'3 girl looks like a lot more, it also gave me racing heartbeat, horrible headaches, acne and urinary tract infections which was an issue i never had before, and made me really moody during my period, it made my period last 7-10 days when w/o the pill its no more then two.

i was on it for over a year and decided to get off when the headaches made me so dizzy while driving that i could barley stand it 

sephoralovex

I started taking BC pills about 2 years ago. Before the pill I had very heavy periods that would last up to 8 days. I gained weight very easy too. After about 6 months on the pill my period started to be less heavy and only lasted about 4 days. Cramps were hardly ever there and my weight has maintained the same for the past two years.

andreabonder

I've experienced no side affects. I've been on the pill for over a year now and haven't had any troubles I use tri-cyclen. The only thing is that if I take it at different times too much I'll get my period later. Not that big of a deal but definitely not fun when you start freaking out about the possibility of getting pregnant. I've had a couple scares but only because of my extreme paranoia. I've tried skipping my period a couple of times, didn't work out so well. After the first time I got really bad cramps (& I never usually do) and after the second time, my period was out of wack & I was still bleeding when I'd go back to start up a new pack. It's back to normal now, but not something I'd recommend to do more than once. 

I can't wait to get my tubes tied. No kids for me. 

Wonder how much money I've spent on tampons and pads... That's what gets me the most bothered. We as women, every month have to deal with something we can't control And are expected to pay money out of our pockets to deal with it. 

mdelrosario91

(0) Hearts

I was on Seasonique for a year and decided to switch because I realized, with each pack, my acne was getting worse.  At first, around December 2012, I got the regular acne that I've had since I was 12, so I didn't think it was a big deal. It was the whiteheads, one or two cysts kind of thing.  Mid-March 2013, I broke out a little bit more, but again, no big deal.  Suddenly, June-July 2013, I had cystic acne start flaring up in the chin area and forehead.  It was so bad, and I didn't know what was causing it at all.  It was definitely not school, since I got my Nursing degree back in May, and didn't study for the boards yet.  It cleared up in August, but then the cystic acne moved to the cheeks. OMG!  It took a month to disappear.  Fast forward to October 2013, literally the first day of October, it started back up again, but 10x worse. Not kidding. 10x worse. Serious.  I started getting multiple cysts on my chin, and all over my forehead.  They would clump up in an area, so I would have like 4-5 cysts in one part, then multiply that by 10, and that's my face.  Also, my cheeks were clear as day.  Whatever.  

By this time, I had enough, and finally concluded that it was Seasonique that was doing this.  I've been sleep deprived since I was 11, because I like to stay up late and my parents didn't really care.  I'm not lactose intolerant.  Food didn't have an effect because I experimented for 30 days of no fast food and junk food, and nothing happened.  I've been stressed since high school because I'm an overachiever...and I have Asian parents.  I went to my gynecologist and he also agreed that it was definitely Seasonique, since I have never had this type of acne before.  He also stated that severe acne is also a side effect of Seasonique, but not too common.  Lucky me.

I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo now and, my cystic acne has died down.  I had cysts on my cheeks, but that's because of Red Bulls and fast food during finals week.  (Yes, I went back to school)

nhunka

I used to take Lyndinette (i took a pill daily for 21 days then 7 days i rested when my periods would start) 

It gave me terrible migraines. Now i dont take any pills and decided to use physical contraception (condoms and alike)

I wonder why is it that women have to suffer from all the side effects of birth control. its bad enough we have to deal with periods and giving birth and menopauses. How come there is no birth control for men? 

It makes more sense to unload a gun than to put a bulletproof vest. 

charpic

but there is birth control for men; 'tis known as a vasectomy.  

nhunka

(0) Hearts

I meant something temporary but how many men actually will undergo vasectomy? They really should start developing some birth control pills for men. Makes me upset women have to suffer for the pleasure of men. 

AshOtto

(0) Hearts

I agree with these sentiments & have had this conversation with numerous friends and family. Women have to/choose to go through a variation of contraception methods to prevent pregnancy, yet many men are recklessly willing to "donate" their **bleep** to both banks and within women. This idea is quite underscored by the government's attempt to at times impose their will on women in regards to the abortion debate.  Do we call for a mass neutering of men? This debate can be a whole other forum in of itself. lol Thanks for all of your opinions and ideals guys!

MikuNerd65

Hahahahaha, that conversation reminds me of a time when I was with my ex and he thought it was unfair that he had protection and I didn't. I was like whatever..and tried to argue with him, but it failed. When I was younger I knew my new/and old grandma wanted me on some kind or birth control, I was scared and declined the offer (plus I wasn't really experimenting with...um...men until I was 18, but didn't actually do it until I was 21.) but now I see it as no big whoop, and forever grateful that I have it. No baby should have a baby, that's how I see it. I don't have a steady income, nor a stable place for the poor kid if I did have one. Plus I lived with one for 2 years and hated it.... Now I know I don't want one for a long a** time...

Plus it takes two to tango :smileywink: No matter how much my guys friends argue with me

nhunka

Now that I am thinking about all this vascectomy sounds like a really good idea. If a man wants kids he can always have his **bleep** stored in a **bleep** bank. Women shouldnt suffer from birth control pills. We suffer enough from our hormone roller coasters already. 

MikuNerd65

(0) Hearts

Yep, what I do know from a vasectomy if you want to change your mind you have before 10 years to do it, after that you're screwed! but yes there is the chance of them donating, But think about it...They would have kids they don't know about running around 0.0 and I also heard that girls can donate too. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Just be sure if you go in for any medical testing or maybe put a sticker on your drivers license saying you have one in case of an accident or something. If there is an abdominal injury if they don't proceed correctly it could cause more problems. Just something to think about. 

ladymeag

Since this is floating out alone, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, for the confused, this is likely in reference to an IUD. :smileyhappy: 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Yes, since that what she ended up getting. But you should have all that you take on your phone or a card in your wallet because lots of times some medicines can counteract others even if it's something that doesn't seem like a big deal in an emergency it could change the outcome-

iheartmakeup95

(0) Hearts

I have been on the pill for almost five years. I have not gained weight or broken out because of it. It has improved my life so much by regulating my cycle and I love it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 106 replies
  • 64 hearts
  • 58 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • dannyc
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi