veritabelle

Birchbox?

I am interested in becomming a Birchbox member.  I like most of the brands they have to offer, and I think it will be so fun to get a box of minis every month.  However...my husband is nervous they will charge for random things or make it difficult to quit.  Could you all tell me your experience with this company?

Thanks!

leaheastridge

Re: Birchbox?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts
Spoiler

killahbabe

(0) Hearts

It's a monthly subscription box. This box in particular includes: makeup, hair care, skin care, and lifestyle items.

leaheastridge

(0) Hearts

ok ... what's a birchbox?

rawrxjasmine

(0) Hearts

I really like my Birchbox! They just updated their website too. Now you can make it even more personalized, like if you don't like perfume samples you can click not to get them. I also really like the fact that you get to review the products that  you get in your box and then you get points that you can save up and it takes money off of your order. I got a Jouer Matte Moisture Tint in one of my boxes and I fell in love with it, it's $38 and I will get it basically for $8 because of the point system. They always take out the money on the first of the month, and I have never had them randomly just take out money. My only issue is sometimes the samples are pretty small. Other then that I have had my box for well over a year now, and I don't plan on cancelling anytime soon.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

as far as my experiences go, they didn't charge for random things just the 10$ a month for the box, and actually i ended up unsubscribing but the process was not that difficult. alot of people such as me and my friends ended up unsubscribing because they were sending too small of samples to see the actual effect it would make, personally the birchbox samples just ended up in a bag in my room. my personal favorite is the popsugar box, it is 35$ which is expensive but they send you 8 or 9 full sized items each month, including full hard cover books, food and accessories such as jewelry and scarfs.  

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

I've recently become a subscriber to birchbox and to Ipsy. I haven't gotten my first glam bag yet (it should be coming soon!) but I've received two birchboxes so far. I actually have enjoyed everything I've gotten in my boxes. They have added an option on your profile to notify them if you are not a huge fan of fragrance so they will send you less fragrance samples. So far neither of my boxes have had any. I've received minis of CC cream, sunscreen, hair detangler, a couple of lip products, primer, nail polish/files, and a face scrub. All of them were deluxe samples. The only packet samples I got were birch box "extras" in my most recent box of two different body creams. I really dig that they let you review the items in your box for points that are redeemable for cash to go toward full sized products. I've already gotten a $30+ Supergoop CC cream for around $13 and have a few other products on my shopping list to buy. The company seems to be improving continuously with their customer service and responds to issues promptly. Also, no funny charges or anything on my account that I've seen. I guess we'll see if this continues to be the trend!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

maybe try Ipsy glam bag? I signed up last month and have liked it so far. Ive heard nothing but not-so-great reviews about Birchbox

DTalksAll

I cancelled my birchbox after 2 or 3 boxes when it first came out. I'm also canceling my Ipsy, I know it's only $10, but I rarely really like a product... Love the bags though! My favorite is Allure's sample society from Beauty Bar dot com. High end products, good size samples, great customer service. 

kd006

(0) Hearts

I have had birchbox, and I ended it about 2 boxes ago I believe. I just got what I wanted out of it and wasn't happy with my samples anymore, so I opted out, but in the beginning I loved it. They charge your card on the 1st of the month. Never a day late. And once you suspend your service, you will not get another charge. I had no problems cancelling my membership, so in those regards I was pleased.

I would recommend searching around other boxes though, because I wasn't happy with my box for a few months, but I just kept going because I was like oh next box will be better. I'm thinking of trying ipsy soon! But, the customer service is very nice at birchbox.

lolo01

Ipsy is sooooo much better :smileyhappy:

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Oh also I don't like Birchboxs customer service. I ordered a nail polish from the site once because I had free points to spend. My order some how got sent to some one else and she called me because my phone number and address was on the paper inside the box (thankfully she was very nice and said she'll rip up the paper for me) but when I called birchbox at first they wanted her to spend her own money to send it to me. I was like wtf?!?!?! it wasn't her fault it was sent to her. so thankfully they sent me a new polish but it took a while. 

clarks18

Birchbox is way overrated.  I recevied mine for about 7 months.  It's mainly perfume samples and small packets of lotion or sunscreen.  I eventually got bored with it and ended my subscription.  I didn't have any problems ending it and I haven't had any weird charges from them ever.  The first couple of boxes are fun but it gets old real fast.  Especially when they repeat the things they send you.  You can get the same samples or better ones just by shopping at Sephora and asking to try a product.  My Sephora is really great with offering free samples of products. 

bittersweet86

I've tried both birchbox and ipsy. I liked birchbox at first but started noticing that I would get a lot of repeat products because each month there are like 6 different boxes with a mixture of item. I always sseemed to get the crappy one haha and they do not take your survey into count since I've gotten many things for curly hair and dark bronzers when I have straight hair and very pale. Ipsy might not have the highest end of products but you get better size samples and usually everyone gets the same product maybe different shades or products from same brand.

sephoralovex

I agree. Birchbox seemed good in the beginning. But now it seems like you're basically paying $10 a month for samples you can get at Sephora. That $10 could go to gas for your car! Haha, IPSY is much better.

chiararaiden

I am glad that I am not the only one who feels that I get the 'crappy' box.  I watch unboxings on YouTube, and find that the 'gurus' have better products then I seem to receive.  I can see how companies would want to give them 'better' boxes because they are 'promoting' the company, however, this week alone, I have told more tha. 3 people (not including who may read this or my fb post) to subscribe rio ipsy/ glam bag instead of Birchbox.

JayNicole17

(0) Hearts

I'm still recieving both Ipsy and Birchbox and have been considering cancelling birchbox for a couple months now. I also feel like i'm getting the "crappy" box. They just seem like they were sooo much fuller when I start. 

I've only recieved a couple of Glam bags from Ipsy and I already love their choices and samples sizes way better..they FILL the bag where my Birchboxes seem full of paper and cardboard..

bittersweet86

Yup that's how I felt too is the "gurus" would get the really awesome thing and most of us were left with packets and vials haha.

chiararaiden

(0) Hearts

I have both as well, and prefer ipsy

asdsfgh

I have used Ipsy and Birchbox, 3 months of both. Birchbox has given out way too many packet and perfume samples (I have allergies and perfume is a no-no) Where as Ipsy is much more personalized and the size of the products is much much better. I got 3 full sizes this month (I think) in my Ipsy, I love it!

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

Does anyone have experience with both Ipsy & Birchbox? In your opinions, which is better?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • sephoralovex
    • brandiandi
    • wildhoney
    • veritabelle