ohhenri

Beauty pageant

Some of you may have heard this a couple months ago: a 8 years old got some botox done because she was concerned with her wrinkles, and her mom went on a TV show (can't remember which one) to explain that it was her daughter's choice. Since I heard the news on the radio one morning, me and a fellow teacher started a project on beauty and the limits of what you are willing to do (well, she did most of it, I just had the idea!!!).  But for the project, I started to watch TLC's Toddlers and tiaras and I'm in shock of what some parents make their kids do. Some of them seems to enjoy it, but others girls clearly don't want to do it and you hear the parent says: oh she loves it. But when the little girl is asked if she rather go out with daddy to play soccer or practice for the pageant, she wants to go with daddy!!

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to judge those parents, some of the kids really seems to enjoy it. I've in pretty high level of sports, and some parents are completely nuts in there as well! I don't know a thing about pageants world, I don't think we have any here in Quebec, but to put a 2 years old through spray tan and false eyelashes, does it give the girls the right notion of what beauty is? Some of them look like they're 16 years old and they are only 6! So I'm wondering, how far our society is willing to go for the name of beauty?

beautygeek97

Re: Beauty pageant

(0) Hearts

Agreed!

<3 beautygeek97

areebaxo

There are always the extremes to this competitions. Getting an 8 year old botox is definitely an extreme action to take. I watched a few episodes of Toddlers & Tiaras and it terrifies me that parents are treating their little baby as a 20 year old. Tanning beds, waxing, threading, fake teeth and now botox? There should be some limits for the kids. I dont know.. I could go on. But I'd never let my kid go through half of the things that go on in Toddlers & Tiaras.

ialli

It's really the "glitz" that I have a problem with.  "Flippers" or fake teeth, botox or any kind of surgery, eating disorders and a pound of makeup and hairspray on a 5 year old is absolutely nothing to glorify in any situation.

There are also "natural" pageants where there is no makeup, it's just like a fun dress-up party, and I think if a child TRULY WANTS to do something like that, the harm will be minimal.  That means as soon as the child says "I don't wanna", the parents have to honor that.

I still don't even think giving out prizes with titles like "most photogenic" or "prettiest whatever" is a good idea before teen years (or arguably, adult years) because things like that forge long-lasting effects in a child's self-image and cause extreme self-consciousness. Heck, I'm 19 years old and I still catch myself saying "I wish I looked more like her!"

In any case, it also makes the children think that being pretty is the only thing that matters in life, and while there is some sad truth to that, they are at an age where they should be more focused on developing social skills that are even MORE helpful in life.  I say these girls are better off playing with their dolls rather than trying to look like one.

nanobear18

i completely agree.my mom whatches toddlers and tiarias...and one episode there is a girl who loves gymastics...and her mom said she was to muscled and i thought she would enjoy this so i made her stop! and the girl obviously wanted to stop doing the pagents.... but no.it is all about her mommy!ugh....the way people strive for beuty...if only they could understand the only way true beuty can be achived is beinf fine in your own skin...plz, stop this nonsense of putting a child in a pagent

ran8

A lot of little girls like beauty and make up but more in dress up terms. But the flippers, spray tans, and shaving/waxing to me are a little overboard.  Plus the cost of it is mind blowing.  Rather see those families (the ones that appear to be not in the best situations) be able to maintain living arrangements and support themselves then toss it to pageants.

Kids are naturally beautiful (a lot of them just do not realize it till they are older).  If I ever have any girls, we'll probably do makeup dress up but only in small amounts.  I want to at least teach them how to apply it right and not to resemble raccoons in their teens/college years.  Overly pageant stuff, probably not. 

The gymnasts competing in the last Olympics had that beauty glitz glitter and heavy black eyeliner.  First thing that came to mind was beauty pageant makeup.  Please hire a better MUA or hide the glitter and black eyeliner from their makeup bags.  For girls 16 (that's the minimum age for Olympics) and older, that makeup is anything but flattering. 

I think I wanted to do one of those (I had no idea what it was because I was 7 at the time) because of the sparkly crowns in the pictures.  Mom said no and that was the end of that adventure.  Later on, it was pretty easy to obtain smaller tiaras from places such as Claires.  But by that time, I no longer wanted one. 

But aside from pageants, I have witnessed and seen many parents go overboard with other activities.  Boys (and girls) might see it in the form of sports.  Competition and sportsmanship are one thing but rioting over things such as t-ball always bewildered me.  Or the overly obsessive parents about school work.  Sure everyone wants their child to do well.  However, it is disturbing if the kids turns out to be a social recluse cause they spent the majority of their years locked up at home studying. 

For any parent/child activity, it should be healthy, balanced, and fun.  But for the sake of reality TV, we're probably seeing the top of the line heavily competitive ones.  There are probably a lot of girls who come and go but are the ones that benefit from the pageants in terms of: socialization, speaking skills, discipline, memorization, etc.

Now if they would only do away with that really creepy digital photo editing.  Those enhanced baby eyes freak me out... 

ohhenri

@katie: I didn't know the last past (the no-botox thing), but even if it was a lie, like we say here: in every lie, there's always partial truth...So just to think that someone would think of getting botox for a 8 years old is out of my mind!!!

@mermadelove: That's why I started this conversation, to see if others make-up lovers were on the same page as me!!!

@nanobear: I saw that episode too and it broke my heart. She wants to do gymnastics, let her do what she wants!

@ialli: I don't think all the kids know what category they won, though. It doesn't excuse the fact that a 3 years old shouldn't compare her looks to other kids. I think the moms are often more upset than their children at the crowning!! But then again, those moms seem to live through their child as it been brought up!

@ran8

ran8 wrote:

But aside from pageants, I have witnessed and seen many parents go overboard with other activities.  Boys (and girls) might see it in the form of sports.  Competition and sportsmanship are one thing but rioting over things such as t-ball always bewildered me.  Or the overly obsessive parents about school work.  Sure everyone wants their child to do well.  However, it is disturbing if the kids turns out to be a social recluse cause they spent the majority of their years locked up at home studying. 

I couldn't have said it better. I was in a pretty high level of sports at one point of my life, and since my team-mate was pretty out going, we used to talk to all the other competitors before a race. And one day, one of the girl told us her mom wouldn't want her to speak to us anymore, because we were disturbing her from her goal (the Olympics). So everytime there would be a little party, or even a dinner, she wasn't allowed to go. At the end, she almost didn't have any friends left in her own team. That's sad, even though she is at the Olympics now!! Was the sacrifice worth it? I'm torn between the 2...I mean it's the Olympics!!!

sephoramusthave

Everyone has a different opinion on this I'm sure but here's what I think: Child Pageants are just a way for the parents to live out their dreams through their children. Putting botox on a little kid is insane. When people in their 20's use botox I think they are crazy. When that kid gets older she will look like some deformed cat. The doctor that allowed this procedure is even more insane. Introducing your kid to some sport or competition is great, but forcing them to do things they dont like is not okay. I went to a waterpark yesterday and I saw a little girl no more then 7 or 8 shave her legs in the shower room. Shave what? I didnt have actual hair until at least 14. Her mom should be telling her to quit messing with the baby hairs and enjoy NOT shaving for as long as she can instead of allowing her daughter to allow prickly hairs to grow in before she hits puberty.

gabidee

[ Edited ]

sephoramusthave,

Oh, my. I definitely have a strong opinion on this topic. It truly is just a way for parents to live their dreams through their kids. I have never heard of a 6-year-old regularly waxing her barely-there eyebrows until I watched Toddlers and Tiaras. The kids just turn into spoiled brats. One of the times on the show (It's interesting to watch ;p) the judges announced they were looking for the perfect tan, perfect hair, and perfect face. Perfect tan?! What are they trying to teach 4-year-olds. It's disgusting. And flippers are just sad. I've never seen a 3rd grader with perfect teeth. It's ridiculous. 

-gabidee :smileyvery-happy:

smartmint

I watch toddlers and tiaras all the time! Your right when you say that some parents are nut and that some are just helping their kid achieve something that they want to do. But I personally agree that its ridicules how far some little kids go. I think you had a great idea and should definitely follow through with it! :smileywink:

prettyinpa

I think that this is a case of parents trying to live vicariously through their children. It's unhealthy, for both the kids and parents.I don't think that it is proper for parents to "push" their kids in anything, be it sports, beauty contests or whatever, let them be kids, there is such a short window of that carefree innocence that nothing should spoil it.

I would wonder how these beauty pageant kids turn out- do they have increased risk of eating disorders, body dissatisfaction issues, etc?  Just not worth it, to me.

mermadelove

prettyinpa wrote:

I think that this is a case of parents trying to live vicariously through their children. It's unhealthy, for both the kids and parents.I don't think that it is proper for parents to "push" their kids in anything, be it sports, beauty contests or whatever, let them be kids, there is such a short window of that carefree innocence that nothing should spoil it.

I would wonder how these beauty pageant kids turn out- do they have increased risk of eating disorders, body dissatisfaction issues, etc?  Just not worth it, to me.

You said it!

:smileysad:

brookie673

I've only watched a few episodes of Toddler's & Tiaras, and it disgusts me.

Take a look at the parents. Most of them either don't have the best looks, to put it nicely, or have a ton of makeup on. Some look like they have had botox, etc.

It makes me wonder if something happened in THEIR childhood as far as beauty that upset them and made them self conscious.

So NOW, they decided, hey, if I can't be a beautiful star, my CHILD can! Some of them had a kid just to put the kid in pageantry.

Others were beauty queens and want their kids to follow in their footsteps and be prize-winning girls.

But how far is too far?

In my opinion, entering them in anything besides a NATURAL beauty pageant, in which the kids are not allowed to wear makeup or super expensive, high end ballgowns.

Think about it- these six, five, even FOUR year old kids are:

-Spray tanned.

-Waxed.

-Forced to practice walking for hours. (How boring can that be for a toddler?)

-Judged by strangers in front of strangers.

and more.

What really disgusted me on that show however, was the mom who played favorites with her twin girls. It was apparent she liked one more than the other, even the kids knew it. I felt so bad for the one who wasn't her favorite, because she was a sweet kid, and the "Favorite" twin was a total brat.

I don't really think you should judge kids on their appearance until they are old enough to handle it. It can have life long, scarring effects.

sephoramusthave

brookie673 brings up an important point. 2 hours of hardcore practice feels like eternity for a toddler. When it comes to children, if you give them a time-out, you're supposed to use 1 minute for every year that they have been born. So if the child is 3 years old, then they need a 3 minute time out. 2 years old is a 2 minute time out and so on. People do that because to us, 2 minutes is nothing but to a 2 year old it feels like FOREVER. Thats why they usually kick and scream 15 seconds into the time out. So super long practices are NOT fun for them, they are more like torture.

katie1724

I agree with so many points made here -- and while I normally love train wreck reality shows, I stopped watching this one after we had to see a five year old cry while having her eyebrows waxed. I just couldn't do it.

@Brookie: I saw that episode with the twins, too -- the mother overtly favored the one, and it was so sad to watch.

@sephoramusthave / etc.: I think you're absolutely right about the moms. This is going to sound so harsh, but look at some of them...they're not beauty queens. Frequently they're morbidly obese and -- while I don't want to say unattractive, I will say that they put all their time and energy into their daughters' appearances, and it's obvious they live vicariously through them. I don't know if they grew up envying beauty queens, but it all seems so unfair to me. Yes, some of them seem to have fun -- and that's all it should be -- fun. These people, though, take it so seriously, and I think the girls must feel as if they're disappointing mom when they don't win. I can't watch any of it anymore -- they look like little women, which is the most disgusting part -- they even have fake teeth to appear more adult. I'm sorry, but a six year old IS frequently missing teeth; it's just a fact of life. To have a six year old spray tanned, shimmying around in heels, false lashes, adult teeth and a sparkly halter -- no one is EVER going to convince me that any part of it is okay. If these pageants were entirely age appropriate -- in terms of talent, clothing, no makeup, etc. -- it's still kind of unhealthy to compete for beauty at that age. This is just child exploitation in a lot of ways...just my opinion. Rant over.

katie1724

also, @ohhenri about the original post -- it supposedly came out later that the mother had lied about the botox, and a doctor swore that he somehow tested the kid and did not find the presence of botox -- so she claims she said this basically to earn money for an interview. However -- even if she did not inject botox in her daughter, I believe there are moms out there who do.

mermadelove

@kaite: I only ever watched that show once, too. Like prettyinpa said, how many of those kids are going to end up with eating disorders or worse??? What on earth can their parents be thinking to instill that level of superficiality at such a young age? It saddens me deeply to see girls being indoctrinated to focus SO MUCH on outer appearance ( let alone over sexualizing CHILDREN).. I know it's funny that we are makeup junkies affectionadoes talking about this, but everything in moderation, right????

glamournut

That is pretty interesting. O think some people are willing to go through a lot for beauty, look at the rise in plastic surgery. People are willing to undergo surgery, with all the risks associated, just to look "beautiful". Girls in their early teens getting breast augmentation, ughh. Look at Heidi Montag, Tori Spelling, etc. they look so unnatural. I saw a story once where a woman underwent liposuction because she felt it would make her more attractive, she ended up dying in surgery. Her husband was so upset with the doctors and the whole plastic surgery industry. But it was his wife's choice to alter her body and she paid the ultimate price. I don't really care what people do with their bodies, as it is their choice, but I definitely think young girls should be
made aware of the dangers and these pageants are not good for them.
ohhenri

@glamournut: I agree, some stars are way over the top with surgery!!!

@brookie: Yeah, I saw that episode too, and it broke my heart to see that sweet child knows she's not her mom favorite and she tries her hardest to please her... Another one that stays on my mind was (I think) a 3 years old with a big diva attitude. The kid was a total brat and so mean to her mom (she even whispered in her mom's ears that she didn't like her!!). And when the mom is interviewed, she said that her kid's attitude was still cute at her age. Ehhhh, not really! She had a big meltdown backstage and yelling stuff that made no sense to me at her mom, that's not cute! She even said that her daughter was more like a friend...She's 3, not a grown-up!!!

@prettyinpa: That what worries me the most, I mean an 8 years old does not have wrinkles! I'm 27 and don't (luckily for me) have any!!!!

pandapple6

You make a good point! But like you said, the beauty pagent is just as competative as any sport or competition.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • ohhenri
    • sephoramusthave
    • mermadelove
    • glamournut