janinebt

Baby Shower Gifts?

Hi ladies!

I see all of you post questions pertaining to your lives outside of beautytalk nearly daily; from asking for dinner advice to questions about school. I need some advice, I figure since all of you are so knowledgeable outside of the makeup realm that you could help a girl out with suggestions!

I am taking my pregnant friend out for lunch next week along and wanted to give her a belated baby shower gift. Typically I like to give a medley of things to the expectant mommies that I know: onsies, diapers, and usually some sort of toy. But I think I want to change my routine around, but figure it might be nice to get something outside of the norm. I’ve been to countless showers in which fleets of diapers, blankets, and onsies are given.

What are some good ‘man, I wish I would have been given _____’ gifts for expectant parents? Major things like a crib, car seat, etc have already been given to her by her family. I’d love to hear from everyone rather you have kiddos or not! Thanks in advanced guys.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
beautylovingirl

Re: Baby Shower Gifts?

(0) Hearts

I love those books you can buy that the mom and dad can record their voices reading that certain story to the baby.

carrierose

(0) Hearts

Books are always great, since they are so expensive and the mom has other necessities to buy with her gift cards that she will get.

For her, maybe a nice bubble bath or something.  OH...LOTION.  A nice hand lotion, maybe L'Occitane.  I washed my hands so much with my newborn that my knuckles were bleeding.  I'd avoid buying a lipstick or lipcolor...I avoided it for the first year until William learned to kiss on the lips, since it transfers straight to the baby she'll be kissing all day! <3

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I gave my girlfriend a Vera Bradley bag filled with goodies. The two she loved the most was a Pottery Barn blanket with her daughter's name embroidered & this skin set http://www.sephora.com/newborn-set-P6431?skuId=467241

My boyfriend just started working for power bar which is now owned by Nestle which also owns Gerber. We got a bunch of their products for her Christening & a gift certificate to a spa for mom. New moms need pampering & relaxation :smileywink: 

poemelyric

I like to give something for the baby and something for mommy relax time.  I love giving spa kits for when mommy needs a break.  It lets them know their special too.

miabt

Personally, I like to give practical gifts to new moms.  All those newborn cutesy lace or sailor outfits are absolutely ridiculous.  Cute for sure...  But between diaper changes & throwing up, no mom actually puts her kids in them.  Nursing moms will really appreciate something the Lansinoh THERAPEARL 3 in 1 Breast Therapy pads.  I picked some up from my local Target for my BFF right before she gave birth & she text me a few days after her son was born after asking where she could pick up another set :smileyhappy:  Total winner!!

Lansinoh THERA°PEARL 3-in-1 Breast Therapy. Additional View 1

A car seat cover for the infant carrier, is also a good one.  Its great at night to keep baby warm, or when its sunny, to shade him.  Also can be found at your local Target :smileyhappy:

Itzy Ritzy Peek A Boo Pod - Bloom. Additional View 1

New moms tend to neglect themselves to care of their baby, so a new bold lipstick & some shades would be something she would definitely appreciate!!  Congrats to your friend!

xo, Mia

waterbaby1981

Things that I appreciated from my baby shower last year the most were teething rings, bottles, and 6-9 month clothing, especially footed sleepers, that Ashley wouldn't be wearing right away.  Little toys for newborns were great too.  One gift one of my friends gave me that I didn't have was a wicker basket full of ribbons, headbands and clips for Ashley's hair, nestled inside a pink/hot pink tutu!  It was adorable.  Baby bath books, hooded towels and baby washcloths are great too.  An insert for a baby bathtub that has a color change thing for if the water is too hot was invaluable too. 

However, the best thing I bought that I wish I'd had earlier?  Fisher Price Rock N Play.  Trust me on this.  About $35-50 or so, depending if on sale or not, but that will be something she will use for quite a while.  Ash is now 8 months old and we still use it for naps!

candacebt

My go-to gifts are always Sophie the giraffe, one of those portable diaper changing pads to keep in the bag or the car (people always forget about those), my favorite children's book and a nice little Sephora treat for the mommy. :smileyhappy:

janinebt

Oh I love the idea of including my favorite children's book (it's a toss up between the Velveteen Rabbit and Hop on Pop). Jez my friend might be getting quite the mixture of goodies. I also like the therapy pad idea Mia!

Looks like I'll have to stop by Target and Sephora soon :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
BeeBeeJ

(0) Hearts

I vote Velveteen Rabbit !

BeeBeeJ

I'm so glad Lylysa posted a link to pictures of a diaper cake. I was really confused.

lylysa

Hehe, when I would mention it to friends they would get this puzzled look, thinking I meant making a cake that looks like a diaper! :smileytongue:

Diaper wreaths and even motorcycles are fun to make, but the wreaths are more labor intensive and get quite heavy and the motorcycle doesn't transport/carry that well. It's more of a set it on display and don't move it kind of set up. I'll have to see if I can dig up photos of a wreath I made a while back and the motorcycle, made that with my cousin and she has the pictures. 

janinebt

@BeeBeeJ, getting something for the mom is a great idea! I did this for my boyfriend's aunt and she was over the moon that we thought about her.

I'll probably end up getting her a gift certificate, some Sephora goodies, some bath things for the baby (to go with the relaxing theme) and perhaps a mini diaper cake since I don't think I'll be able to successfully pull off a massive one without somehow dropping and ruining it haha.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lylysa

(0) Hearts

As long as you have a cardboard circle cut and at the base of the first tier it's steady and by the time you make each tier they end up being so compact they dont move or wobble around. You can even attach mini trial sized goodies for your friend around each tier too! 

roxystar4

i LOVE the idea BeeBeeJ had about a gift for Mommy. I got soooo many baby items at my shower (they were very helpful & useful).  But at the end of the day it is all for baby. 

Does your friend like Sephora?

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Yep! She likes makeup so anything I give her will make her happy. I may give her a few things from some of the mommy brands we carry. I'll probably give her a mini palette, mascara, and liner.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lylysa

I'm a fan of diaper cakes, just because they're functional (no matter what, a new parent will never get enough diapers) and because they can look so darn cute!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Baby-shower-gift/m-p/434099#M10880

I posted a couple of photos of diaper cakes I've made in the link up top.

I recently made one for my friend who's boyfriend refuses to take it apart because he says it looks too nice! Haha, it can end up being a decor item and a last resort of diapers if their supply runs low. You can make them in an assortment of sizes so if you gals plan to have more plans after she's not stuck carrying a huge one around, they're pretty lightweight and stay together really well.

BeeBeeJ

Hi Janine-- since you mention that this is a belated gift I assume your friend already had her baby shower. If so, I'm sure she received oodles of gifts that were all about baby. Why not give a gift that's just for Mommy? You could give her a certificate for some pampering after she delivers. A massage, facial, mani/pedi-- something along those lines. My friends who have gone through pregnancy always seem to be in a hurry to get back to feeling pretty once the baby arrives. You could even offer to babysit when your friend enjoys her day of beauty if that's appropriate.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • poemelyric
    • waterbaby1981
    • carrierose
    • janinebt
    • lylysa