Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BTers on the road: A travel thread.

We BTers are a busy bunch, and I don't know about anyone else, but I always appreciate a local's perspective on things to do, see and eat wherever I'm headed. 

Just booked a last minute long weekend (Thursday to Sunday) to Portland, Oregon. We'll have a car, so we were thinking about exploring beyond the Portland city limits... maybe do some breweries or wineries. Anybody with Portland (and surrounding area) recommendations? Specifically looking for where to stay in Portland (walkable, local favorites) and we love food, so any recommendations of places to eat would be most welcome! 

Re: BTers on the road: A travel thread.

Saw this thread being revived now that the world is opening up a bit again. I will be traveling to South Carolina on a business trip in late June (the Greenville area), anyone from around here or with some recommendations of nearby places to hangout? Won't have much time to hit attractions but I'd like to try my luck on the BC-er community in case someone has some good suggestions 🙂 

I think before I set off I will do a little "what's in my travel bag" post on here to keep the thread going (and maybe even start another travel-based/packing beauty products thread). I find it's always so telling what you choose to bring on a trip, it usually helps you sort items you really "cannot live without". ❤️

@QueenMarceline enjoy your trip Marcy!! 🛩💞

@Skunk12puzzola Thank you. ❤️

@QueenMarceline I love what's in my bag videos, but not only the travel theme ones, just ordinary days what's in your bag ones!! it's so nice to see what other ladies carry around on a daily basis 💗 you will get to know them, and their habits.

@Skunk12puzzola I'll definitely try to update what I bring on my trip 🙂

I'm going to visit Portland next month. Any updates? I'm also looking for recommendations for places to visit. Thanks in advance. 

Anonymous Insider

As you ask for food recommendations, I suggest that you use these Food Near Me apps. Yelp is definitely my fave one. It's great for search for restaurants, fast food, coffee & tea, or whatever else your heart desires at the moment. There are quick categories that pull up the best results near my current location, or I can just search for something specific, like a type of cuisine I'm craving at the moment.

Trying to revive this thread! I spontaneously booked a trip to Vegas, my first time! I decided to go at the end of October, yes I will be there haloween!! Any suggestions what I can do? Ill be there doing some work stuff but otherwise have free time!

Shop til you drop???? 😉 and go see some shows @sabrinas

Tentative attempt at reviving this?

Heading to Austin on a surprise trip. Flying out friday afternoon and coming back monday night. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll have some down time on my own while friend is at his conference stuff and I love little hole in the wall places. He and I both like music scenes/interesting food. Anything goes. He's done zero research on this and I was just asked to go about four hours ago, so this is a little on the fly!

Sigh... the dreaded exile to off-topic. 

RIP travel thread.

@Anonymous  Was this post on the main board at one time?  i am just now checking the off topic even though i am on Bt all the time stalking.  I always forget off-topic is in exile.

Going to Maine in May. Pretty excited!

Flying back from Portland as I type... Had a great long weekend! Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions! We're hoping go back again soon because we enjoyed it that much!

Got in late Thurday and just so we could say we did it, swung by Voodoo. Waited maybe 5 minutes (long enough to get a parking ticket >:-o )... Boyfriend got something with chocolate, PB and rice krispies... I got the Mexican chocolate, which to my surprise, I enjoyed more than I thought I would. That said, would never wait in line, and would never order any other donut... They all looked so unappetizing to me with all the piles of toppings slathered all over them.

Stayed at an Airbnb in SE, which was great. Super nice woman with a cat and two adorable dogs, all three of which I managed to spoil in our 72 hours there. 😄

Went hiking in Eagle Creek on Friday, about 6 miles or so. Absolutely beautiful day (peaked around 80). Then went to Hood River and ate/drank at Pfriem. We walked around town a bit and along the waterfront but decided to get back to town since it was getting late. Stopped by Salt & Straw on our way home... OMG. A. Expensive, felt like home, lol. B. Delicious! Had the Salted Amond Brittle with Chocolate Ganache. C. They teamed up with a bunch of elementary school kids to create flavors for charity and the flavors are hilarious. Literally one called "The Kail Creeasheon." Yes, there was kale (kail) involved, and obviously parmesan cheese (duh, why wouldn't there be?)... You can read all about them on the Salt & Straw website... Love the descriptions written by the kids, atrocious spelling (wtf Portland schools?!) and all.

Had dinner at Bar Mingo - AMAZONG. Would've had dinner there again last night too if we didn't want to branch out. Super cute neighborhood (Alphabet City). Cannot recommend enough for those of you heading to Portland in the coming months. GOOOOO!

Yesterday bummed around downtown... Had breakfast at Pine State Biscuits (delish, another recommend) and hopped on MAX (AMAZING - fast, clean and cheap ($5 for a 1 day pass)). Took advantage of no sales tax and the BOMB A $ $ Patagonia store. Met up with a friend for beer at someplace I don't remember with a roof deck - 10-something, walked to Aphabet City (near where said friend lived), walked around there, MAXed back downtown... Watched the Warriors slog their way past Memphis at some sports bar... MAXed back to SE, wandered around looking for dinner. Ended up at Sunshine Tavern ("That's that place with the salad that has French fries on it!" - yes, it is, and yes, it was delicious) which was decent. Pok Pok line, even close to 10pm was insane. Pass. Deal with enough of that in SF. One more run to Salt & Straw...

This morning was Blue Star Donuts (second time - also went Friday morning). Previously got the Mexican Chocolate (meh, too much frosting, not enough spice) and Lemon Poppyseed Buttermilk (uh, yum) and today got Chocolate Almond something (yum), tiramisu (sitting in the box at my feet) and boyfriend got some marionberry filled somethin with PB dust or something ("Which basically turns to peanut butter in your mouth." -Boyfriend). Had lunch at Grilled Cheese Grill on the way to the airport (decent).... Oh, and after stopping at Blue Star Friday morning, also went to Fried Egg I'm In Love (<3 name <3) food truck, which was really tasty, but REALLY slow. Woof.

Gah. I told myself I wouldn't make this a long rambley recap... Failure.

tl;dr: Loved Portland. You should go there.

Going to Destin in August with the fam! We went a couple of years ago and it was lovely. I'm definitely looking for recs for places to eat (my BF and I love to eat) and anything that may be unique to Destin, outside of the obvious gorgeous beaches 😄

I'm going to Japan twice (once in May and once in April, both with friends) and Vietnam this summer. 

I've been to Tokyo before, but does anyone have recommendations regarding Hakone? And I'd love pointers on what makeup I should buy, something preferably exclusive to Japan 🙂 My friend's practically a native, but she's not really into makeup; I trust BT! 

Same goes with Vietnam. I've never been, so I'm curious if there's something I should be on the lookout for. Like good food/snack, landmarks, activity, etc.)

I don't know what type of traveling you like to do (scenic/hiking/natural landmarks or more museum/historical or more in-town shopping) but Hakone has some great historical elements to it. You're fairly close to Mt Fuji and if you're up for planning that, I always think it's worthwhile. Hakone Checkpoint & Hakone Shrine are also pretty spectacular from a historical perspective. I know there are a few art museums if that's more your speed, although I don't really have much personal information on them. I have friends who lived in the region for a few years, if you'd like me to ask about those!

How did you decide on traveling to Vietnam? I feel like ends up under the radar for destination choice a lot of the times.

@frametheface Ooh, are there any good art museums you could recommend? 🙂 We're doing hot springs and kaiseki dinners, but otherwise, we're leaving things open for exploration. 

As for Vietnam: My aunt is getting married to someone who's workplace is closely affiliated with Vietnam. He apparently spends a lot of time working there? He invited our family on a small vacation. 

I'm excited because Vietnam is one of the few places I haven't visited in East Asia. 🙂

Absolutely, @MSena!

If you're an art person, there's three (four, honorable mention) that stand out. The Hakone Open Air museum is the one everyone will say go to, but it is primarily western art. The Okada Museum of Art focuses on East Asian art (I enjoyed it more). The Pola museum was established by a cosmetics company (fun fact) and has a more eclectic collection. Honorable note: Lalique glassworks museum, although it's not very foreign-friendly. If you're not fluent or don't have someone who is, you'll miss out on some of the supplementary information. The Open Air museum is the one all the guide books will point out at, but I'd absolutely recommend the Okada Museum too.

Vietnam has always looked like such an interesting place to visit. I hope you'd be willing to share about it when you return!

(Edit: Hakone Museum of Art. I knew I was forgetting one! It's mostly Japanese ceramics, dating up through the Edo era. It's also very well known for the garden on the grounds.)

@MSenaI don't know where you are going in Vietnam, but I went on a trip to Hanoi - Hue - Da Nang / Hoi An. Hanoi was too congested and not very pleasant overall, and Hue was ok. I remember doing a historic site / Vietnam war remains tour there where they drive you around in old wartime American jeeps. I really liked Hoi An for its relaxed beach resort feel; it was small and pretty, with a nice night market / food stall scene along its river.

P.S. There is a hilarious Top Gear :Vietnam Special episode. Check it out if you are bored 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • upload_8648731376748745208.gif
  • upload_3486473847520560478.gif
testing