KateKova

BAD experience at Sephora Saint-Bruno on Boxing Day

[ Edited ]

I came back from shopping on boxing day a couple minutes ago and I am still in shock about the poor quality customer service I received. I walked in to purchase an eye shadow palette, a perfume and a night cream for a gift for my mom. Today was my first day off in forever and I did not bother fixing my hair or doing any make up. It's that time of the month and I have a couple zits here and there.

I walked into the store with my sister and it was less busy than most of the stores in the mall. I picked up an Urban Decay small eyeshadow palette that was on sale for boxing day and looked at some other sections before moving to the skin care department. As I was looking at the Kate Sommerville collection, a sales associate came and greeted me and asked me if I was looking for products for my ''bad acne''. Ouch. Three zits and you call that acne? I politely said no and kept looking as she asked me if I knew the brand and then I told her that I was just looking, and thanked her. She then continued to be glued right next to me, and I walked away as she was beginning to irritate me.

Two minutes later, she came back and told me to use a basket. I knew I was only bringing two-three products home and did not need a basket to carry them as they were rather small and I already had my iPhone, coat and bag to hold in one hand as I was looking at the creams. I politely declined and she looked at me exasperated and said that she'd leave it on a counter behind me if I changed my mind.

About 5 minutes later, another sales associate comes see me and asks me if I need help. I politely say no and that I am just looking. I prefer to shop on my on and not talk to sales people as my mother has her own taste and I don't know exactly what kind of ingredients or feeling she looks for in products. The SA then tells me that if I have any questions I could come see her. I said thank you and continued looking at the wall of products and reading some labels.

Less than 2 minutes later, a third SA comes see me and tells me to put my palette in the basket. I politely say that I don't need one. She then looks at me and tells me that she is not offering but telling me to do that and it is not my choice to make. As she is next to me, the two other SA are pretending to straighten out some shelves but are clearly listening to our conversation and so are two others at the cash.

The way she said that was so arrogant that I put down my palette in her basket and told her I'd go shop somewhere else as I know that the Bay and Shopper's Drug Mart sells the products I wanted as well. She then follows me to the door and as I leave and says ''yeah you go do that you ugly b*tch''.

I have never been harassed to this point at any Sephora location for the past 5 years that I've been a customer. The beauty industry is booming right now and you have a LOT of competition. I suggest you get your act together. No one deserves to be treated the way I was today. Today marks the end of my days shopping at any of your locations.

hazelsmrf

Re: BAD experience at Sephora Saint-Bruno on Boxing Day

(0) Hearts

Wow thanks for the heads up,  I've had good experiences at the Sephora at the Dix30,  so i'll continue to go there and bypass St-Bruno completely.

mrsstory

(0) Hearts

I wonder what ever happened with this.  I was mortified when I first read the original post.  I hope Sephora has done something to make this right (a sincere apology and some action with the employee(s), to start). 

KateKova

(0) Hearts

Sephora offered me a 50$ gift card and a makeup session - at the same location. As far as I know, no action has been taken with the employee as no one even asked for her name or description. The director of the store refuses to discuss that information as it is considered to be "confidential". 

kelsey808

I was actually horrified reading the end.. honestly I have to give to kudos for not going back and making a huge scene (which I would have shamefully done lol), how do people like that get hired in the first place?!?!?! I'm so sorry you had to experience that and hopefully the third SA and the person responsible for training them are held accountable!!

KateKova

Honestly, I was just so shocked in the moment that I had no words that could even come out at that point so I just chose to leave as the reps stared me down.

veronika23

Shamefully?  There's nothing to be ashamed about if you are causing a scene after a SA calls you an ugly b*tch.  Seriously causing a scene would hopefully make them wish they never did that  :smileywink:

NahiNahi

[ Edited ]

I always wonder this too. They must fake it really, really well for a little while to get hired.

ChicDabbler

Woah, the first and second SA are pretty typical, usually a firm "no thank you, I got it." then going back to whatever I was doing takes care of that. The third SA is definitely out of line. There was once when I made a purchase first to get the promo bag I wanted, then continued to play with/hold store products afterwards and it has occurred to me it might look like I'm thinking of stealing or something. One SA came over and asked me if I was planning to purchase those and it's probably a good idea to put them in a basket instead of the promo bag I was carrying, which I think was a very polite/non-offensive/indirect way of making sure I wasn't stealing, lol.

I'm glad Kevin reached out to you. Your feedback will be heard and I hope that 3rd SA gets some very pointed reminders. Shop somewhere else, there are other Sephoras and your treatment at this one is unwarranted.

snowshoe

[ Edited ]

Apparently, if you want to make SAs nervous and start eyeing you suspiciously, don't use a basket when shopping in a beauty store.  I did that today (not at a Sephora though).  My reasons for not using a basket were that I needed only one item, and I was holding the hand of my young son to keep him near me.  In the 5 minutes I was there, I have never been asked so many times if I needed assistance in my life :smileyhappy:  And they know me--and my sons--well!  

But oh well, I guess I can't blame them.  Shrink (retail theft) happens a lot this time of year, and there's no one stereotypical profile of a shoplifter.  So they're going to look at anyone and everyone.

That being said, not one of them was rude or inappropriate, as were the SA that the OP had to deal with.

KateKova

That's totally fine. I get it that people usually take advantage of sales on big shopping days such as Black Friday or Boxing Day. It never crossed my mind that I may have looked like I was about to steal but had she told me that in a nicer way such as in your story, there would not have had any problems. 

Yes, you are right ! :smileyhappy:

kevinbt

I'm so sorry to hear that, KateKova! I am sending you a private message so we can have this addressed right away. 

Regards, 

Kevin 

itscarin

That is insane!  You should definitely write a letter to Sephora describing the situation and the people involved.  They clearly need to be removed from their positions. 

marydiva

Ohmygosh. Call corporate, or write them immediately. Call the store location - call the Rouge line. That woman needs to get fired, pronto. I'm guessing the store has security cameras? Corporate can probably review that footage for you and fire that lady. I'm so sorry that happened to you...

chupi

"Bad experience" is an understatement. That is deplorable, unwarranted and disgusting. I would have flipped out on the spot and gotten a manager. You should call the store directly and speak to a manager. There is no excuse for her behavi

butterblume

I ran over the facebook to bring down the wrath of the angry mob but couldn't find your post! Did you mean you fb messaged them? Have they responded? That...that..."woman" I hesitate to even call her that because she's a disgusting representation of humanity - does not deserve to have a job. It's not even just bad on a customer service level it's bad on a human level. I am just so angry even thinking about it. I hope this gets resolved promptly and PROPERLY for you!

lilyyy

I don't think that the main Sephora page deserves Social wrath for this, not until you give them a chance to take care of it privately. I have faith that the will take the necessary action to remove these foul employees.

butterblume

Oh I wasn't going to make my own post or anything, just post in support if Kate already made her own post. So if she'd chosen to post it publicly I'd have posted something supportive - not necessarily bringing down wrath on Sephora but on the SA.

Some people choose to let companies know of problems via social media rather than only through private communication. I think that can be a smart thing to do - it leads to greater transparency and often motivates the company to act expeditiously. Still, I have no doubt Sephora will respond properly to Kate's issue, regardless of whether it is raised privately or publicly. 

KateKova

I did message them on Facebook! However, I did not post it directly on their page but just through private message.

veronika23

[ Edited ]

OMG! I can't believe she said that!  I'm so sorry she treated you that way.  I guess I can understand SA's asking you if you need help... better than them ignoring you and chit chatting while the store is a mess but what she said was out of line!  I'd be calling the hot line and giving them a piece of mind.  wow! 

NahiNahi

What in the hell?? That's crazy. It doesn't seem real. I believe you of course it's just nuts that it would happen, like it belongs on an episode on Punk'd or something. Are you reporting it?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 42 replies
  • 140 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • lovemesomerain
    • chupi
    • anaa
    • marydiva
    • lilyyy