ilovetopurplefy

Applying to work at Sephora or M&T Bank internship for summer 2014

So I've been thinking about this for the longest time. I've been thinking about it since I was 16? My mom and dad support my love for makeup, nail polish, and everything beauty related but they don't understand it. They sometimes think I've gone mad (mad as in crazy-obsessed) because of it.

I told them that I wanted to apply and they want me to do an internship with M&T Bank instead because I'm majoring in Accounting and they think it would be good for me. (A family friend is the president and can hook me up).

I love Sephora a lot. I love to go into the store and interact with the SAs and we give each other tips and recommending each other products. Also, just being here on BeautyTalk makes me happy because you ladies have a similar and intense love like I do that no one else (even my best friend) truly understands. Another reason why I want to apply is because I eventually want to own my own cosmetic company someday and I eventually want it to be partnered with Sephora. So I thought, "Why not start there?" But I don't know which one to choose.

ilovetopurplefy

Re: Applying to work at Sephora or M&T Bank internship for summer 2014

I decided that I'm going to take the internship. I'm going to see if I can apply to work at Sephora during my winter break ( 6 weeks!) to make a little bit of extra cash.

AllyKatVA

Good luck with both! Extra cash never hurts, even when you just hand your paycheck back to the store...

...not that I ever did that... :smileywink:

Missie772

YAY! Congrats on your internship and good luck on applying to Sephora!!!

pearlgirl7

Congrats!!! Good luck!!

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Is there a reason that you can't do both? 

missey1973

Take the internship. A job at Sephora is not going to support your future. An internship will support your career and land you a job that can pay for your makeup habits.

pearlgirl7

I think you should take the internship with the bank. As someone who recently graduated from a top university and didn't do an internship while there, I am actually begging you to take the internship lol! It took me a few years to recover from my lack of internship.

Internships are an excellent way to get your foot in the door of an industry and build your resume. It will also help you decide if perhaps you want a full-time accounting position after college because school is awesome but only working in an industry is going to give you a feel for what life would be like if you worked in it full-time.

Unless you are working at corporate for Sephora in the right department, I don't think you are going to get the contacts or experience that would help you with your own cosmetic company. Besides, if you HATE your internship and decide not to pursue a career in accounting (although I will say one bank is not reflective of the whole industry so keep that in mind before making any drastic decisions), you can always get a job at a Sephora store. Or, maybe with your internship experience you could apply to a finance/accounting position at corporate for Sephora and then eventually move to another department or at least make the contacts you need to help you with your own ambitions.  

Bottom line, Sephora will always be there. This internship may not. And, the internship will look better on your resume. Good luck!

Nuke

I recently graduated with an Accounting degree, and I know that in my school, at least, internships were highly emphasized as a contributing factor to your success. It will just be easier for you to snag a good full-time job with some experience under your belt.

Is it possible for you to intern at the bank in the summer then work part-time at Sephora during the semesters? 

AllyKatVA

As someone who has spent WAAAAAY too much time finishing school, and spent WAAAAAAAY too much time working retail (and a few years in Accounting to break it up), I would advise you to take the internship. You can work at Sephora anytime, but there are only so many years that you can get a professional internship and be taken seriously. Future employers will be much more impressed that you interned with a bank than they will be with a job in retail, unless that job is fairly high up the chain (management). Depending on how demanding your internship is, you may want to apply and see if you can work part-time at Sephora, but retail is tough if you do not have your own reliable transportation.

Something else to consider: working at your favorite store SEEMS like it would be fun, and it can be great. But retail is also hard work, especially if you work full time hours/shifts. Eight hours on your feet with only one or two breaks is tough if you are not used to it. Some of your customers are soooo fun, but some people will be indifferent, rude, or even mean. Depending on the store and your role, there may be stretches of downtime where no one is coming in, and you may be stuck doing busy work like dusting and cleaning. There can be a lot of pressure to hit sales goals/quotas, and you have to be "on" for your whole shift, even if you are tired or sick or upset. Even in the best stores, with the best co-workers, there is stress and there is pressure. Knowing it is just for the summer will make it easier in some ways (light at the end of the tunnel!), but everyone I know who has worked retail has been changed by it. Longtime retail workers joke (sort of) that if you want to lose your faith in humanity, work retail. It is scary how awful and dishonest people can be. On the bright side, you will be soooo much nicer to retail workers once you have been one!

I have worked offices and retail, retail is way tougher. It can be really enjoyable, especially when you get the right customers, and when you are able to help people find that perfect item for themselves or the perfect gift. If you like talking to people and are not easily discouraged (because a LOT of people are "just looking!"), working the floor can be great. Getting paid to use and talk beauty products is fun! It is important though to remember that you will not just get to play, and not everyone will be as fun or nice a customer as you are.

Whatever you choose to do, remember that it is just a few months. If you hate what you chose, it will end. If you love it, you can do it again. :smileyhappy:

kssweetheart

What she said. :smileywink:

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

I know it's a tough decision because I know how much you are itching to get 'behind the scenes' at Sephora. I don't know what their employee discount is but that's a plus and a minus, because you're going to want to buy, buy, buy. For a while I was working 3 jobs, full-time at an Insurance Co and part-time at a bank that I worked at before the Insurance Company and also part-time at a shoe store, where I got the most Amazing discount. Eventually I said Why am I killing myself like this? I have a social life, I need to get a grip here, it was a bit crazy. I quit the bank and kept the shoe store until it eventually closed. I actually stopped  taking my check home to cash it and had them just apply it to my account, I had an entire shelf of shoes and things that I would pick up whenever.

Finally, here's my answer....I think you should choose the job at M & T - I think you'll get a lot out of it. You could work at Sephora as well but first hand knowledge, it gets to be a bit much. I say start at the bank maybe you'll decide to pick up some hours at Sephora after a while. But Sephora will still be there, you can apply at any time in the future. I'm thinking you probably would spend most/all of your paycheck on products, which I think is fine if you can get away with it. I worked at the shoe store for 6 years and would've continued to work there if they hadn't closed. It just depends on how much free time you feel you need.

Hope this helped and I think your parents are steering you in the right direction. The job at Sephora would be so incredibly fun so I totally get why you want to work there. Best of luck to you and I hope you'll let us know what you decide to do and how it's working out for you. :smileyhappy:

waterbaby1981

If you can do both, do it.  Internships are not generally paid, to my understanding.  Ultimately though, it's your decision.

lilyyy

I would do the internship and here's why:

Working at Sephora will teach you retail, not makeup.

Working at the bank will allow you to become your own customer base: a professional woman with purchasing power. You'll get a better understanding of what someone busy and working, like yourself would want in makeup and how much they would pay for it.

lmi82

I'd say go for the internship if doing both is not an option. A job at Sephora would be more fun, but the internship would look really good on future resumes and would ultimately help you out more in the long run.

ilovetopurplefy

The nearest Sephora is an hour away from school. The first bus comes to school at 11 and the last bus leaves the mall at 6:30 everyday except holidays. I don't have a car so it would make it even harder in case I was called in to take over someone's shift.

DesertRose0706

[ Edited ]

Why settle for one or the other? Maybe you could accept the internship and work at Sephora part time/on the weekends? Or what about accepting the internship for the summer and working at Sephora part time during the school year?

It sounds like the internship would be a great opportunity to get some great real world experience and I would hate to see you pass that up. Internships like that aren't always easy to come by, and you could gain some really great skills that you could use in the future.  Any time you get an opportunity like that, you should take it, in my opinion!

Plus, a lot of times when you start working at a store you love, you start to love it less because it's no longer fun, it's work!

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

The internship would start at the end of May (so I have time to unpack from college and settle down) and go until the beginning of August.

Loretta55

(0) Hearts

You can work at both jobs. If you are offered a position at Sephora you could accept a position working evenings and weekends.

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

That's a really tough choice! For how long would the internship be?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 53 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • pearlgirl7
    • waterbaby1981
    • lmi82
    • lilyyy
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • kssweetheart