mermadelove

Anybody going to see the Hunger Games?

I have to work tonight, and my family is coming up for a visit, so I'm not going to get to see it until probably next week. I know lots of people are going to se it tonight, rocking the colors from the China Glaze Hunger Games collection.

Which of you are doing that???

I need some vicarious Hunger Games love! :smileyvery-happy:

lovelyheather

Re: Anybody going to see the Hunger Games?

I went Saturday morning to see it.  I actually liked the movie, though, of course, the book was way better. I don't like that they down played the injuries in the movie.  The cut on Peeta's leg was hardly anything!  In the book it was cut down to the bone and seriously infected.  I really liked Seneca Crane and how they showed the game makers at work.  It was an interesting added element that you don't see in the book since it is written in first perspective. 

I popped into Ulta yesterday and picked up Luxe and Lush from the Capitol Colours collection (Colours from the Capitol?).  They only had about half the colors in stock, but at least they had the one I wanted.  I really wish something on the bottle indicated that it was a Hunger Games tie in, oh well.  Now I'm off to paint my nails!

shyvicki

I might see it during my upcoming vacation. Too broke to go to a theater until next week. I just started reading the third book. I'm hooked on the series. All of my coworkers have been reading the series as well.

For some reason, I never hear about a popular book series until the last book of the series comes out. I never heard of the Twilight series until Breaking Dawn was getting ready to come out. I didn't know about Harry Potter until the fourth book, ...Goblet of Fire. Didn't know about the Hunger Games series until Mockingjay.

I have heard that The Host is suppose to be the first book in a series. Plus a movie version of it is coming out.

Manda

My sister went to see it and she loved it.  

dianabt

Great topic!

I went to see it early yesterday morning at a small theater so it had maybe 20 people tops. I thought it was super creative and fantastic looking and the story line worked but something JUST didn't fit with me.. I think the book was so detailed and (of course) parts were changed, but I felt like it was almost.. rushed! Either that or I enjoyed it so much I didn't realize how quickly time went past hahaha :smileyhappy: I still feel like Gale and Peeta could have been played by other actors.. who I'm not s ure, but the Peeta casting felt like a fail to me and for some reason I was not into Liam Hemsworth (is that his last name?)  I can't wait for the next movies to come out. My favorite part with this movie was the special effects and (of course!) the crazy hair and makeup used to interpret the citizens of Panem's capitol. :smileyhappy: I don't get sucked into trilogy movies ever (twilight, harry potter, etc) but I think the books really played a huge part in my wanting to see this movie (considering I don't go to the theater EVER!)

I went to see the nail polishes.. sold out! Only a bright orange and a glittery chunky hologram set left. I definitely do NOT need more polish!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
janinebt

I saw the Hunger Games on Friday afternoon! I was surprised that my theatre had less than 10 people in it, but didn't complain! That's a rarity...especially for a highly anticipated film...guess my boyfriend and I beat the middle/high school rush. Visually I thought the movie was beautiful, it captured so many things that I had envisioned perfectly...from the games grounds to Effie Trinket. I also really liked that we were able to see other points of view, like the reasoning behind the forrest fire.

I felt like Peeta was made too 'likeable' in the movie...I dunno maybe it's just me but I couldn't stand him in the book! I still feel like he has ulterior motives.Overall the movie's pace was a little slow...but then again I kinda sped through the book. I thought the film was a great adaptation, minus the slow points. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that my boyfriend loved the movie.

I'm loving the official nail polishes; there are 12, one for each district. The nearest Hot Topic is pretty far from me (yes at my age I still shop at Hot Topic too...they have the cutest trinkets) so I may order a few online.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
mermadelove

Wow! It's amazing to read all of the different points of view on the movie! I must say that the thing i've heard the most is that the movie didn't quite do justice to the books. What I mean when I say that is that yes, the books were quite detailed and the movie left out alot of stuff that I thought was important to make the movie successful as a stand-alone piece. I don't feel like this happened so much with the Twilight Series, but I did find that with some of the Harry Potter story line and definitely with the Hunger Games, that the things that were left out made the storyline and /or characters seem a little flat, and the some of the storyline 'too convenient". 

I won't get into specifics because I don't want to spoil things for anyone, but I feel like if you read the books, you really understood why the characters did some of the things they did, but if you hadn't read the books and didn't know the back story, some of the unfoldment just felt like you had to reach to understand why certain characters would do certain things. My husband, who hadn't read the books, had some trouble with this. SInce Ihad read the books, I NOTICED it, but decided to ignore it and just enjoy the story coming to life.

I also LOVED the costumes and makeup job they did on the Capitol people! That was just amazing!

I thought Peeta was likeable but found Gale rather annoying!

@janinebt: I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing I'm significantly older than you, and Istill go to Hot Topic, too! :smileyhappy:

dianabt

@ntailor yes there was a VERY brief Twilight preview/trailer that was sorta disturbing LOL but then again I've only see the first movie hahaha. Also, Hunger Games polishes aren't available with Sephora but are made by China Glaze. I saw them in a Hot Topic. 

Yes, at my age I STILL go into Hot Topic. :smileywink:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kimmi1115

@dianabt  The China Glaze Hunger Games polish collection is also available at Sally's Beauty Supply.  Around here, a shipping truck stops by at least once a week with products.  I went to Sally's today for one of my hair products and they were unloading items onto the shelves.  Ulta also carries China Glaze, so they may have the collection as well.   

@mermadelove lol thanks!  I wish I was done with school already, but I still have a little while to go.  I think I'll have to treat myself to Barnes and Noble when the semester is over lol.

nanobear18

i'm seein it this weekend!!! team gail! peeta is a wimp ! anyway, i read the first book and didn't enjoy it very much, but i might try to read it again afer i see the movie, sometimes i'll read a book and hate it, then read it again and love it.

ntailor

Not sure if I’m going to see it this weekend or not, but if you are a Twilight fan, the new Breaking Dawn Part 2 trailer is meant to be in there. It’s what I read online when I watched the sneak peak.

mermadelove

@ntailor: Woo-hoo!!! I AM a Twilight fan, too!! And guess what?? My family isn't supposed to show up until 8 or 9pm, and I got my husband to agree to play hooky this afternoon so we can go to a 3:40 show. SO it looks like I'm going today. YAY!

daisy346

You must be watching it right now.....I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might go see it on Sunday, if not then probably not until next weekend.

I haven't bought any of the Hunger Games nail polish collection yet. Overall I was disappointed in the collection, but there are still at least 3 or 4 colors I'll probably end up getting eventually.

ntailor

There is a hunger games nail polish collection at Sephora? Where do I check it online?

kimmi1115

I'm so behind.  I wanted to read the books when my high school library got them in during my Senior year, but I never got the chance to read them.  Senior year was pretty busy for me.  However, I do want to read the books.  I have heard so many good things about them.  My friend in my American Literature II class said that I would like them.  Maybe this summer I'll have time to read them since I'm only going to take one or two classes at the community college and transfer the credits to my university.  I've been reading a lot of textbooks this semester, so no time for fun reading lol.

mermadelove

@kimmi: I HATED when school reading cut into my pleaseure reading. So glad to be done with school now, I am a crazy rabid reader and reread the series last week just to be ready for the movie release! I think you will love, love, love it. It's hard not to!

kimmi1115

@mermadelove  I miss fun reading!  Although I enjoy most of the stories in my English classes, I miss picking what I WANT to read lol.  I have readings for American Literature II, British Literature I, and my online History class.  By the end of the semester, I will have read the entire History book except for the first chapter.  Since I can't sell back the loose leaf books, I may burn the pages of the History book so I'll never be haunted by it lol.

mermadelove

@kimmi: LOL! I can totally see you burning the pages of that book so that you aren't hautned by them! I've actually read chapters not assigned so Ididn't "miss" anything! I figure, I paid for the book and they put that info in there for a reason!

I'm so glad to be done with school. I'm sending you  time management angels so you have time to do some fun reading sooner than you think!! :smileyhappy:

mightyclassy07

Going to see it tomorrow with le boyfriend!  Debating whether or not to wear one of xsparkage's looks to it or not. :smileytongue:

maltipoo66

I'm definitely going to see the movie soon!  I loved the books so much-the only thing I was a little concerned about for the movie was the casting-why do they always have 25 year olds play 16 year olds?  Anyway, I'm sure it will be great. Can't wait!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • ntailor
    • shyvicki
    • mermadelove
    • maltipoo66
    • lovelyheather
    • daisy346