Spyski

Any of you lovely ladies into full body massages?

If you are, I can really use your help! My mom turns 60 today, but she's out of town with my dad right now. I want to surprise her with some kind of massage gift basket for them to enjoy when they get back, but not sure where to even start. I never even had a massage before lol. I know, I know I need to try it! She has a massage table as well as a hot stone heater, but I've notice she doesn't have any products like lotions, oils, creams, whatever you use. All she has is olive oil, which is nice I guess, but I want her to have something where she has variety. She's really interested in getting into aromatherapy as well as chavutti. Any suggestions on what to get her? I have a couple weeks to order whatever is necessary since they won't be getting back until mid-July. Oh, yeah and she isn't allergic to anything related to beauty products that she knows of, but has sensitive, dry skin. I hope to find some insight on where to even start...

makeupmaven

Re: Any of you lovely ladies into full body massages?

Just spent a some time w/ my friend last night working on a custom perfume blend...she makes a face oil and I realized (after smelling it growing in her garden) that rose geranium is one of the oils that makes the scent of the product so addictive. I'm not well-versed on its aromatherapy/ skincare benefits, but it is a very clean/ uplifting floral scent. Would recommend adding this oil to her basket!

roxystar4

Since she only uses Olive oil, does she tend to only like/use all natural products? 

I am def into essential oils. There is a great company based in Colorado called Ananda Apothecary. They have all kinds of sales and promos (I got 2 free products last time I places a $50 order- which was a few weeks ago- I bought some items for CINV for my aunt). Their products are high quality yet not over priced. 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I don't think it matters, but natural is always a plus.

Do you mix the essential oils with the olive oil? What essential oils would you recommend for relaxation and calming? I'll check the site out! Thanks

crayzeeRN

[ Edited ]

Bouncing in here...

You usually put 2-3 drops per essential oil into a 'base' or 'carrier' oil. For relaxation, some good scents to try are lavender, chamomile, ylang ylang, patchouli, or sandalwood.

On a side note, don't know if you have ever seen the Aromatherapy Massage Oils that Bath & Body Works makes, but they are really nice. And on sale today... (nudge/enable). My favorite scents are the Vanilla Verbena, Black Currant Vanilla, and Eucalyptus Spearmint.

BBWVanillaVerbena.jpg

roxystar4

@spyski  I mix the oils with different base/carrier oil depending on what I want to achieve. 

Base oils are often times one of the following: (all can be used at 100%)

sweet almond oil

apricot kernel oil

grapeseed oil

hazelnut oil

safflower oil

sunflower oil

there are other oils that you an use at 10%:

jojoba oil

evening primrose oil

olive oil

carrot oil

borage seed oil

When I make blends I will use sweet almond oil or sunflower oil and add a few drops of jojoba or olive oil.  I try to always use organic base/carrier oils & wild or organic essential oils.

Relaxing oils: lavender, nutmeg, marjoram, sandalwood, clary-sage, pettigraine, geranium, lemon, chamomile, neroli, rose & vetiver.

The oils I own are bolded above. I think lavender is a great one to start with and chamomile is great too (I prefer roman chamomile over german) .  I think geranium smells a little funky but that's just me.  

Essential oils are very strong!  Make sure to dilute according to the specific oils directions. Some oils are ok to apply neat (or without dilution) but some oils will cause a reaction if not in a carrier/base oil.  

Three great books on the subject are:

1. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy by Kurt Schnaubelt

2. * (prob my favorite!) The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health - Beauty - a Safe Home Environment by Valerie Ann Worwood

3. Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy

by Kurt Schnaubelt  (great book but more scientific approach, talks a lot about the molecular structure and breakdown of the components of oils than practical application.  But it is very good).

Spyski

Whoa! Tons of info, I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna start her off with the #2 book you suggested and a couple of essential oils. They're so multi-tasking!  Sweet almond, lavender, and chamomile is on my list! I use chamomile as a pillow mist at night, it's rather relaxing indeed!

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

@spyski I think the 3 items you have listed are perfect! And the book is awesome. I recently made an essential oil recipe to strengthen my nails (they are mad at me for all the Sephora OPI polish I have been using).  I posted the recipe on my blog just 2 days ago so it was cool that you asked about this today.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Cool beans! I think I may add a couple more oils. I know there are a ton of sites that offer essential oils but the one you provided seems like they only use the purest of pure and are legitimate! I'm looking for another oil to add in there, any ideas? I want something to go with the carrier oil I picked out which is almond or olive oil. An oil targeted for muscle pains, joints?

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

for over exercised muscles: eucalyptus (there are sooo many varieties of this essential oil- I like eucalyptus radiata because it is the most mild)., peppermint, ginger, thyme, rosemary & cypress. 

makeupmaven

For something really luxurious on sephora.com, I'd recommend this:

REN Moroccan Rose Otto Ultra-Moisture Body Oil

http://www.sephora.com/morroccan-rose-otto-ultra-moisture-body-oil-P378013?skuId=1507680

If you want to mix it up a little bit with more expensive/ high-end natural products and some ayurvedic options, sesame oil and coconut oil are traditionally used in ayurveda. Coconut Oil is a bit greasy/ heavy/ might get her massage table sheets oily, but she could mix that in with the Rose Otto oil (in the palms) to get the best of both worlds. Coconut Oil is also nice to use before a bath (to prevent the skin from drying out).

Maybe a face mask too/ candles/ aromatherapy etc?

Spyski

Thanks! That REN Moroccan oil seems perfect! I will look into the other oils you suggested as well!

makeupmaven

Yeah we have lots of amazing oils/ body creams, but the whole Morroccan Rose Otto line smells amazing and is really nourishing for dry/ sensitive skin! Glad that helped!

mafan

I've had many massages.  I have one about every 3 weeks, actually.  But mine is a therapeutic massage, not relaxation.  And it's with a licensed massage therapist (who is also a nurse).  At first I was thinking that you wanted to give your mom a gift of a massage, but it sounds like she's doing massages.

Is she licensed/trained? I can ask my therapist if she works through a supply store, but it might be something that requires a license to be able to shop there.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

It's more of a thing between my dad and her. They give eachother massages and have a room dedicated for my mom's new interests in different types of massages. I'm just looking on something to give her to benefit them both :smileyhappy:

makeupmaven

That is so cool that they have a massage table just for them! They must have a wonderful marriage! <3

Spyski

Yeah, I def. look up to them the more and more older I get and hopefully have a marriage like that one day. 

mafan

I agree, totally cool.  What a great idea for them and for you to give her something for it, too.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • mafan
    • roxystar4
    • crayzeeRN
    • Spyski
Photos1