punctuationgeek

Age differences and dating?

A friend and I were discussing age differences when it comes to dating, and I discovered we have very different opinions on the subject. My friend is in her early twenties and with a guy about a year or two younger than her; he's not exactly the most mature person, but neither is she. I am in my early twenties as well, and she told me I should NOT date a guy over 25 because it's "just gross." Not to sound rude, but I rarely find guys my age attractive. It's not a matter of appearance--okay, maybe it is sometimes--but a matter of personality. The guys I've encountered at school are rarely driven, more interested in partying, and are quite immature when it comes to the way they speak and act (especially in a classroom!).

My dream guys? Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock, Logan Huntzberger from Gilmore Girls, Dean Winchester from Supernatural--and for real guys (who I'll never meet haha), Seth MacFarlane, Joe Manganiello (that's just because he's a handsome man haha), Ronan Farrow, and John Corey Whaley. All, to my knowledge, are over 25--some of them considerably older than 25. My opinion is that, as long as you are both consenting adults of legal age--who cares?

So what're your thoughts on age differences and dating?

punctuationgeek

Re: Age differences and dating?

(0) Hearts

According to the half-plus-seven formula, the youngest I could date is 18.5; the oldest is 32. So I could date the Biebs (ew) or Joseph Gordon Levitt. *sigh* Joe Manganiello and Dean Winchester are too old for me :smileysad:

Ronan Farrow, however, falls in the middle :smileywink:

ladymeag

Pretty sure there's a line for JGL. I know I'm queued up. :smileytongue: 

nikki

I am so age appropriate for Dean <3

ladymeag

Haha - Dean and I are close in age, so I've never had to think about it. :smileytongue: Crowley and Lucifer are both within range for me and Castiel isn't that much older than I am. (Jeez - that makes me sound older than dirt. For Dean I used the character's age, here I'm talking actor's ages.)

kittichick

Mmmmm Castieeeeeeeeel...

ladymeag

Misha is an unfailingly nice guy, too. He's super-sweet to his fans and goes out of his way to do awesome things for them. A friend's daughter (she's a teenager) has a huge crush and I drove her up to Vancouver for part of our GISHWHES thing and he danced with her. She was over the moon and he was so sweet taking pictures and hanging out hugs like free candy. Vicky (his wife) has a keeper, that's for sure - and not just because he built their first house (down to the furniture, apparently.) 

nikki

Lol, Dean's not even 10 years older than me, I should have just said I am so appropriate for Dean:smileytongue::smileytongue:

I think all of the actors are in my age range. Even if they weren't, exceptions would be made. Hello Lucy, Hello Balty, Hello Crowley, Hello Sir or can I call you Daddy :smileytongue: 

comfyrock

All within range for me :smileytongue:  If wishes were horses...

MikuNerd65

I'm 23, and I think...its your preference sweetie. Me, well I always dated someone younger than me. Idk I liked being the "older one" and them making me feel younger. But now I can barley find someone of mature level than me. They always party and sleep with random strangers. But it's weird when I do find someone...I find out that they are younger....Idk maybe I'm a magnet towards that group. Right now I'm trying to aim to the 21-25 range....but if not, as long as they are legal I don't really care.

punctuationgeek

(0) Hearts

I dated a guy (briefly!) that was my age. He seemed mature. I then found out he had this really bizarre past with a female friend who was still involved in his life. Only one person knew about it, and she told me--I confronted him and found out that there was a whole lot I didn't know (and neither did that person who told me!). It made me lose respect for him, and I really questioned his judgment. It showed me just how immature he was, and I dumped him immediately. Good riddance!

MikuNerd65

(0) Hearts

Ya good riddance!

MK89

As others have said, a lot of it depends on your maturity and that of the person you are interested in. Personally, I have been through a lot and taken on lots of responsibilities that most 23 year olds never have to worry about, so I can connect more easily with someone older. I feel like they understand me better and can give me advice on life from their perspective of having already been through their twenties. Not only do men close to my age tend to be immature, they are still figuring out their life, just like I am, which makes having something long-term difficult. 

Go with what works for you! Give someone a chance based on the connection you feel with them, not based on how old they are :smileyhappy:

Spyski

I feel the same and agree 100%

kssweetheart

I'm with you, I always dated older guy, I just didn't find a ton of guys closer to my age that were that attractive, interesting etc. to me. Dated a guy a year younger once, huge flop - he was still in college and I was working full time, it just didn't work for me, longer story there. That doesn't mean that I would Never date anyone my age, if I found someone closer to my age that I liked, I'd give it a whirl.

Having said that, everyone's different, if your friend likes guys closer to her age then that's great - At least you won't be attracted to the same guys!! Look at it that way, they'll be no competition between you. One of my best friends went out with a guy who was maybe 3 years younger and another group of friends were really giving her a terrible time and she was going to stop seeing him,  I encouraged her to go with it because she liked him - One engagement ring, one wedding band & three kids later, they're happy as anything. Another friend didn't want to go out with a guy who had a mustache and it was sooo tiny - they're happily married with children as well. So, you never can tell.

I look at it this way, it's so incredibly difficult to find a great guy and if you limit the 'pool' by saying I won't date anybody who is more than a year younger or a year older than I am - period- the end. It's hard enough without eliminating 96% of the male population right off the bat like that. I think you need to be open and go with the flow.

Heatoyos1

I am 27, and would probably only date the same age or older. 

My current boyfriend (hopefully fiance sometime soon) and I have been together for 2.5 years. He is 10 years older, but our energy levels are very similar: we are both homebodies.

He is finally ready to settle down now. If I dated younger men, I would be worried if they were ready to settle down or if they had started their career. 

The only rub is that my boyfriend did all of his world traveling and fun things 10 years ago when he was my age, and now doesn't really want to travel. 

bisoubisou

This! I'm also 27 and dating a guy 10 years older than me. We have lots in common and love spending time together but with some things I'm interested in, I feel like he's already "been there, done that" and doesn't want to do it again. This is especially true when it comes to going out or traveling to certain places.

Heatoyos1

[ Edited ]

I know, right?! This is one of the only issues I have with him. We have been together for 2.5 years, and only recently went on our first trip together: an overnight trip to San Diego. 

I want to honeymoon in Europe because I have always wanted to go. He has absolutely no interest in Europe...what?! He would like to go to Hawaii because it's close. (We have both visited Hawaii several times.) Don't get me wrong, I love Hawaii. But if this is my one chance to go on a trip to Europe, I want to take it. 

Sometimes I'm surprised that a guy 10 years older than me and I would have anything in common. We also watch the same shows. 

Some things I'm glad he got out of his system years ago before I met him, like smoking. But somethings I feel like I missed out on. He traveled all around Asia, Hawaii and different states in the U.S. with his friends. And now he just wants to stay home and play video games and watch tv (he has a very stressful career.)

When we hopefully start having kids, he will probably be around 40. Luckily, he is in pretty good shape and doesn't look 37 (he looks about 30). 

Good luck, bisoubisou!

bisoubisou

(0) Hearts

Seems like we're in a very similar situation. I used to feel like I was missing out all the time too until I decided (recently) that whenever I wanted to do something fun that he doesn't want to do, I would just go with my girlfriends. The funny thing is I think it's making him a little jealous as I'm not spending as much time with him. That wouldn't be an issue if he just went out with me to see Snow White and the Huntsman like I asked him too! Anyway, all the best to you too :smileyhappy:

kssweetheart

Oh, I hope it happens for you and your fella! Sending positive energy to you. :smileyhappy:

Heatoyos1

Thanks, kssweetheart!! I have never wanted to be proposed to before, but I finally found the one that I want to propose. It just feels right with this one. My parents are divorced, so I hope it works out for us. :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

Age has always been just a number to me. Maturity is what has always mattered over anything. I myself prefer guys older than me. 4 year difference would be the max. Though dating guys around my age range is not so much fun since majority of them don't want commitment (and if they do, you are a lucky duckling)... I'm turning 19 soon and all the guys seem to love partying, girlS (see how I capitalized the 's'?), etc. I'm not into that, I don't like dating around.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 104 replies
  • 220 hearts
  • 42 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • itscarin
    • sephoralovex
    • malday
    • wendyomgwar