wingatprsct

4th of July Plans?

Well, the 4th of July falls on Thursday this year.  So if you take off Friday, it gives you a four-day weekend!  What are your plans for the 4th?

I really only have a 3-day weekend since my mom's birthday is Thursday (yes, she is a Yankee Doodle Dandy) which means the 4th is spent with her which I don't mind.  She's lovely!   But after that I need suggestions.....it is really hot here and I'm feeling uninspired. 

rikkie

Re: 4th of July Plans?

[ Edited ]

I love the way the icing kind of looks like an exploding firework on the second cake! The color scheme reminds me uncomfortably of Aquafresh toothpaste though, eek!

toothpaste.png

ps. Sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she makes a full and quick recovery!

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

That is too funny about the toothpaste!  I knew there was something odd about that shade of blue.  I would definitely try a different blue.  I'll have to look for sprinkles and try to match them or just go red and white sprinkles with blue icing and cake.  I think it will be fun to try.  Oh, and put those sparkler candles on top!

rikkie

Ooh, sparklers would be perfect! If you have a baking supply store around you they usually sell dark blue coloring or I believe the cake decorating area of walmart even can have some options. Craft stores like Michael's are a good place to look too if you want to do a dark blue cake or icing. If they don't have a blue dark enough you can add tiny amounts of black until you get the color you want. Whatever you end up doing I hope it turns out well and tastes amazing!

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

wingatprsct

They do look yummy!  I usually make my mom a birthday cake decorated like the one above since it's the 4th.  I bake a yellow cake mix in a 9 X 13 pan.  While it's warm, poke holes in the cake with a fork and pour sweetened condensed milk over it.  Let it cool, cover with whipped topping and decorate with blueberries and strawberries like a flag. 

I may try to recreate the cake on the bottom for something different this year.  It doesn't look too hard, just a bundt pan and food coloring.  Thanks for posting pics!

rikkie

If you do try the bottom one I recommend getting gel food coloring and not the liquid drops as the color is much more concentrated. I don't know if you have done these before, if so then ignore me, but it can be the difference between this

pale.jpg

and this

bright.jpg

Colorwise at least, lol. No guarantees on the presentation!

wingatprsct

Yes, I use Wilton's gel food coloring, but it would take a lot to get colors as sharp as the bottom cake.  I also don't think I could cut those layers that perfect, even after freezing my layers and cutting them.  It is pretty though.  Looks like everyone enjoyed the cake on top though!  :smileyhappy:

rikkie

[ Edited ]

Wilton's is what I go with for sure! You do have to add more than you would for icing but I have made a rainbow cake like this and it did turn out that bright! I must admit my layers were not that perfect though. But if you don't cut your whole cake in half for a picture it's less obvious. Those are thick layers too, I've made this recipe below  with 3 x 9" circles cut into halves. The homemade espresso toffee on top and crumbled between the layers makes it amazing! 

spicecake.jpg

I can't wait to be able to bake again. All I have at the moment is a toaster oven and no cake pans. :smileysad:

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

That looks delicious!  If I google the recipe, what is it called?

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Try coffee toffee spice cake, That should find it for you!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Totally enabling BAKING here (amazing it's not make up this time :smileytongue:), but if you Google "Microwave mug cakes" it pulls up a site called Number 2 Pencils and it contains 30 recipes where you microwave baked goods in mugs for perfect mini portions and to get baked goodies without cake bans or even an oven! They have cheesecakes, chocolate, chocolate and peanut butter, sugar cookie, almond cake, and all sorts!

rikkie

Oooh, I have seen the idea of making cake in a mug, but I didn't know you could do so many things! I may break down and try it out if I can't wait another week and a half for something sweet.  Thanks!

lylysa

You're welcome! I have to STOP myself from making these because my mind just goes "C'mooooon, it's just ONE mug!!!!" But then I realize I would make mug after mug after mug....you see where I'm going with this!

arielaaaaaaaa

My family never plans until the day of! But every year everyone comes over and someone BBQ's and we go watch some fireworks! And the very next day is my Birthday!! I will most likely go to the movies this weekend since its soo hot!

rikkie

Happy almost birthday! I hope you get great weather for BBQing and whatever you decide to do for your birthday!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks @Rikkie! It's going to be super hot unfortunately. I'm not an outdoor person so i will be inside!

rikkie

I am so with you on the staying indoors! Have tasty grilled food brought inside and I am all over it though! :smileyvery-happy:

lylysa

Happy early birthday, Ariela!!! :smileyvery-happy:

You get to party, enjoy a festive show, and get surrounded by those you love! Win win win!

Plus all the yummy food!

wingatprsct

Happy Birthday and Happy 4th!  There are some good movies out right now and always a good way to beat the heat. :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I think White House Down will be on the must see list this weekend!!

beautylovingirl

We'll probably just watch fireworks and grill out I love summer!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 68 replies
  • 151 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • kalex
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt