Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean at Sephora
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

@lyravega  I hate that scent too!!! 😄 Twins! No no maybe it smells like that to someone else too! 😉

Just thought I'd mention that Skinstore has a sitewide 25% off coupon code "memorialvip."  May Lindstrom is included in the discount (at least so far it is!)

I just tried it and the 20% sale didn't work on Honey Mud. 😔 Did you get anything before the caught it? 

Edit: "VIP" actually gives you more of a discount and it also is off May Lindstrom. Thanks! I only put in Memorial at first. 

Oh, dear.  This is one I keep pulling in and out of carts.  Now I've done it! Thanks for the enabling, @mrsbaine @Ispend2much6

@fairlywell  You're welcome?  🙂

I gave in and order ML Blue Cocoon using this discount. I thank both of you @Ispend2much6@mrsbaine for a good saving but my wallet might be disagree 😉 

You're welcome @blackkitty2014.  I'm apprehensive also, having bought blue cocoon at Follain with a Gilt City voucher.  I know it was an incredible deal, but still not free, so I hope I like it.

This will be the best $135 you spend... this week. 🙂 I love it @blackkitty2014. I hope you do too!

@blackkitty2014

I know you will love Blue Cocoon!

Thx you @greenchilli for numerous excellent recommendations.  I hope i will love it as much as the Uma oil 😉

@mrsbaine  Sorry to be so late to reply, but I'm glad you got the best discount!

Ok, I bit the bullet and got myself full sizes of both The Bean and JR's Hydrating Accelerator. I also came across Captain Blankenship's Mermaid Detox Face Mask, and popped it into my cart, along with some Alima Pure eyeliners I'd been meaning to get. 🙂

upload_1727309810354489503.jpgupload_4972761289696484543.png

How did you like the detox mask? It looks awesome! But then again, anything with the name "mermaid" or a picture slapped on does 😄

@katgoulding lol, that's how I felt when I saw the picture! And it was only $30 (maybe that just seems small, compared to the $90+ other skincare treatments I've been looking at...)

I haven't received it yet (actually, I don't think it's shipped yet). It's only been three days since I placed the order, though, and it was Memorial Day weekend, so I'm not too concerned yet (they shipped my first order same day, though, so I'm definitely noticing the difference). I'll definitely put my thoughts on here once I try it out!

Oh alright! I'm sure Memorial Day has a lot to do with it not being shipped yet, I always experience delays during sales. 

I know what you mean, effective skin care is so expensive! Especially the enticing stuff, lol. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it comes in 🙂

Speaking of "natural" sunscreens ( for face, first and foremost. But body as well. Why not. ), I've been meaning to ask - what do you use? What are your "natural" favorites/go-to's? I am looking for a new one, and so far I have only found one that is "acceptable", meaning... my skin does not reject it/react violently to it, and it's not mattifying and drying ( dry skin here! ) like most sunscreens are on me. It's Josh Rosebrook's Nutrient Day Cream With SPF 30. But, that's a moisturizer with spf in it. ( And, a very, very light moisturizer, too. ) I prefer to have my sunscreen separately, so I can apply when I want/need it. I don't really like moisturizers with spf in them. And, I prefer spf 50 for long sunny days outside as I am fair like a vamp and burn in minutes in a direct sun ( I avoid Sun like a plague! But, that is not always a possible task to do... so... ) But, I'd be ok with a really good spf 30, too... I think.

I also have a sample of Kypris Pot of Shade: Heliotropic SPF 30 Treatment Primer which I haven't tried yet. This one sounds more like a sunscreen.

So, I just made this yesterday, and haven't really tried it out yet, but I decided to try out the waterproof sunscreen recipe from Real Food RN (Google non-toxic DIY sunscreen). Just curious if anyone else has tried any DIY recipes, and what's worked for you (or not) in the past... (planning to use this specifically for body)

Finding a good spf that doesn't give a bad reaction and also doesn't leave behind a white cast is a task. I love Shiseido urban environment oil free sunscreen for face. It is mattifying but my oily skin fix that within an hour. The problem with that one is, it works fine when summer starts but by the end whenever I got Tan, it starts showing a bit of white cast on me.

Last year I switched to Clinique city block that has ayellowish tint so it doesn't leave a cast but this year when I used it a few days consecutively, it gave me a bad reaction like red itchy spots on my face so this one is out now. I don't go out in sun frequently but when I do, I tan real fast.

Following here for the suggestions.

Currently, I'm using 100% Pure's Argan Oil moisturizer with SPF. But that's being discontinued, so I'm on the lookout for a new one. Funny you should mention the Josh Rosebrook Day Cream - I came upon it while going through Detox Market (as I've decided to get the Hydration Accelerator and The Bean), and decided to throw that in as a sample. 🙂

I'm also (now)  looking at Pratima's Neem Rose Face Sunscreen (since @pixiedust2 brought it up), Suntegrity's Body Sunscreen, Soleil Toujours Zinc Based Sunscreen, and Andalou Naturals also makes some SPF moisturizers. I've gotten a lot better about wearing sunscreen in general, but I don't burn easily, so a lower SPF tends to work for me. My husband, on the other hand, burns a lot faster. I've been on the lookout for a more natural sunscreen that isn't going to break our bank, but I haven't tried DIY-ing yet.

ETA: I haven't tried them yet, but 100% Pure does also make some body sunscreens that have good reviews. None of them go past SPF 30 though

I used the Josh Rosebrook Hydration Accelarator for two nights. Each morning, I woke up looking a bit dull and my skin did not feel as soft as usual; it felt a little dry actually. 

I used it after my acid; sprayed a little Rosewater first since it says to use on a damp face, then I sprayed it and applied my May Lindstrom the Youth Dew one night and Tata Harper Beautifying oil the next. Each day I followed up with a balm; either able Coccoon or The Mahalo Balm. 

I'm wondering if the Accelerator allowed the oil and balm to sink in more than not using it? Am I using it wrong? Any tips from those who've used it? 

@mrsbaine where does it say to use HA on a damp face? Never seen that instruction anywhere before. On my bottle it just says: "Mist liberally on face. While skin is damp with the Hydrating Accelerator, apply our active blah blah..." Or, "how to use" on sites just say: "Mist liberally on face prior to applying moisturizer."

I'd say it is a possibility that using your rosewater and HA together is somehow too much, and it could definitely help your oil and balm to penetrate better/more. And maybe that doesn't agree well with your skin. Maybe try just HA? And, see how that goes. Dull and dry is definitely not good.

I don't use mists after acids as that usually aggravates my skin. When I use HA, I just spray it on my (dry)face after cleans, and before applying/massaging my serums/oils in. And, often in between other skincare steps/or as a finishing step, as well.

7 Replies
testing