Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

@unfungirl I've never tried anything from them. What do I need to know? Spill it! 😉

haha @lyravega well i love everything i've tried! the smell alone is worth trying the products for, but i do love how they perform too! i have dry, fine, naturally wavy hair, and i use the oi, love and replumping products! the oi products saved my hair when it was bleached within an inch of it's life!

their salt spray and hairspray are also lovely ❤️

Thanks for the mini review, @unfungirl !

Which products do you use and like? I have one, it's a hair refresh spray that works really well. Curious to hear more about the line.

@SydBristow Voluminous shampoo and conditioner are my HG products. Those two are what I like the most from the brand so far. They have totally changed my hair game. I have silky fine hair, and most shampoos and/or conditioners either rough it up so it looks like hay. Or weigh it down and make me look like a wet chicken. These two make it look perfect! Soft, silky and shiny, without weighing it down, and with just the right amount of volume and bounce. They don't add crazy volume, but I dry my hair naturally, so I didn't expect them to actually make me look as if I just walked out of a salon. But, even without any additional styling, I can wear my hair down now without it looking flat and sad, and just hanging there lifeless.  

Other two products I enjoy are Defining Hair Spray and Freestyle Texturizer. They do exactly what they state they do. Love 'em!

Next product I wanna try is Voluminous Spray. Is that the one you have?

Yes it is! 🙂

Thanks for the info, I will have to try the shampoo and conditioner! 

What are your favorite mists/toners ( if you use any )?

As my skin is dry, I like to take any additional hydration where ever I can get it. Many people still believe toners to be astringent and drying to skin. But, not every toner is made equal, and there is no such thing as one-toner-fits-all. A toner isn't a vital addition to everyone's skin care routine, but it can be beneficial for those who want some additional benefits to their skin. That being said, there are plenty of hydrating, nourishing toners and mists out there, and I am happy to include some of them into my routine, as they help quite a lot.

My favorite hydrating toner doesn't belong to this thread, but I will mention it real quick anyway since we're talking toners.

Spoiler

It's Paula's Choice SKIN RECOVERY Enriched Calming Toner. I can't live through winter without this baby as a special little helper that does a lot for my skin! I am not thrilled with some of those ingredients, but eh, beggars can't be choosers. It is the only toner I've found so far that is so incredibly and super hydrating! ( Mists that I like are great at what they do. But they are feather category compared to this heavyweight champ. 😉 )

I also like acid toners that gently exfoliate skin to remove dead skin cells.

I like to use mists for additional layer of hydration, to tone, or to massage my oils into my skin ( but, I also use just simple water mists for this, as well ). I also like to use them as a "refresher" for skin throughout a day many times.

My favorite are:

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator is one amazing mist, and definitely my fav right now. It not only hydrates, but it calms and soothes my skin, evens out my skin tone, an makes it look plump and just happy all around. It really, really agrees with my skin beautifully. ( And, can we mention that fantastic mister for a sec here?! How amazing is that?! )

Odacite Aloe + Immortelle Hydra-Repair Treatment Mist is amazingly hydrating/nourishing. I don't see it doing much else, but it being so incredibly hydrating alone is enough for me.

Leahlani Bohemian Ruby ~ Balancing Toner instantly hydrates, balances and sooths my skin, and it helps tone down occasional redness.  

The Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator sounds really awesome - apparently for both dry and oily skin, from the sounds of everyone here! 😄

Honestly, when I started reading about the benefits of misting, I really didn't want to spend the money on one, so I DIY'ed it. Started with a base of rosewater, researched essential oils with facial benefits (I've built up a decent stash of essential oils - can't afford to get them all from Mountain Rose Herbs yet, but I'd like to be able to stick to theirs eventually), and topped it off with filtered water. I'm not sure I remember everything I put in there, but I'm pretty sure there was a little tea tree, lavender, geranium, neem, tamanu, palmarosa, sandalwood, rosehip, and rose essential oils. Maybe 1-2 drops of each, so not much (but they can definitely add up). I do think I might cut down on tamanu next time. It's supposed to be amazing for skin, but I feel like the scent kind of overwhelms the mist, and I kind of prefer a lot of the other oils, scent-wise.

I keep it in my purse, but I am horrible about remembering to hydrate (both internally and externally). Still, when I use it, my face feels AWESOME. I can definitely feel the weight of the mist on my face, but only a few seconds before it absorbs in, leaving my skin feeling soft and moisturized, but not overly oily. Sometimes I wonder if I'm overmixing this cocktail, but it seems to have had pretty great results for me.

When I do remember to use it, it's usually as a face refresher throughout the day, and sometimes I'll spray it on before my night moisturizer.

I love love love Paula's choice skin recovery enriched   Calming toner! It is wonderful for dry skin. 

I have dry skin too and it's so easy to feel like products are harsh. My go-to toner is Indie Lee, I really love it. While I don't feel it hydrates, it cleans my skin very well to prepare for my moisturizer.

"I have dry skin too and it's so easy to feel like products are harsh." This! Most products feel very harsh on my skin. My skin is also somewhat sensitive ( I like to pretend it is not, but... ) so that makes things even more complicated.

Ohhh, this is not gonna be good. You guys are giving me way to many ideas! 😄

Mists are something I generally use to moisten my skin before massaging in serums. I find it easier to apply small amounts of oil based serums (like Odacite, for instance) on damp skin.

That said, aside from the more basic ones I use for that purpose, I also enjoy;

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator - I feel like there isn't anything this stuff can't do, LOL except wash my dishes and cook me dinner 😄  It smells ah-mazing, it softens and soothes my skin and it really does add to the overall hydration of my face when I use it.

Herbivore Rose Hibiscus - this smells fresh and juicy and I like to use this one as a refresher mist throughout the day, either when I'm hot or when my makeup could use a lift.  It hydrates nicely without making me glowy.

May Lindstrom Jasmine Garden - I received a FS of this during a GWP event last year and if I was comfortable spending that kind of money on a mist, I'd probably buy this again (but I'm not, especially after the price increase) It falls into the category of mists that I don't quite know what it's doing, but the scent of it puts me to sleep and it seemed to work extremely well when paired with Blue Cocoon. I typically hate jasmine scents, so I'm still floored that I liked this.

Yuli Skincare Panacea Elixir - it smells like wet bran, but it is extremely soothing and calms inflammation nicely.  I tend to use it as a step in my routine when I've used my PMD system because my skin is usually a bit red.

RL Linden & Co Thousand Petals Beautifying Mist - I consider this my 'experience' mist. It hydrates well, doesn't leave a filmy residue and has a spritz that isn't like being sneezed on.  Most of all though, the scent of it brings me back to my childhood.  It has rose in it, but to me it smells most strongly of the scent of sun warmed honeysuckle blossoms.  I would continue to buy this even if it did nothing at all.

I need to try Yuli Metamorphic Elixir. And Liquid Courage serum just for its name! 😄

Not gonna lie, @lyravega when I bought Liquid Courage earlier this year it was 50% for the claims and 50% for the name 😂 

Great idea for a thread! I'm trying to go more natural with my skincare and it has been interesting ride. I don't think I'd ever be 100% natural but cutting down on the number of artificial chemicals in my products can't hurt in the long run. I agree with a lot of the products mentioned so far! Looking forward to the discussion!

I LOVE this thread, @lyravega ! I hope I'll find some time to at least lurk, if not much else. 😉 ( Hope that didn't sound creepy. )

Hahaha, lurk away all you want, @Magrathea ! 😉 If you decide to stop by and share a few words with us, you are always welcomed!

It's  a great thread idea @lyravega ! I am using quite a few natural skincare products and have all type of outcomes with them from great to terrible. I'll share here once I make my lazy self to type a longer response. Meanwhile it is fun to read what everyone else is using and their reviews 😀

Thank you, @fatimamummy ! Feel free to stop by and share whatever it is on your mind any time! 🙂

Just wanted to share with my fellow skincare junkies...

I ordered Josh Rosebrook's 2 new moisture products recently and they arrived today and I am stupidly excited to put them on my face.

I can't decide which I want to try first, but probably the Vital Balm cream (the other being the Advanced Hydration mask)

I find it kind of funny; in my late 20s/early 30s makeup was the thing I was most excited about and I considered skincare to be boring but the older I've gotten, the more that has reversed.

I'll be sure to post thoughts somewhere once I've given them a good try.

8 Replies
testing