Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Clean Beauty
|

NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

I don't think we have one of these yet... But, if I'm wrong, please do correct me.

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while now, but as it usually is... Life got and gets in the way. But, better late than never, huh?

I've been enjoying many natural skincare products for the last 15 years or so, on and off ( mainly facial oils and balms, but masks, treatments, and body oils and balms, as well. ) I even used to make my own for years ( years ago ) as good natural skincare products were not a very easy thing to obtain. You'd have to try and hunt down quality ingredients and make stuff yourself most of the time. And, that was quite a task! It makes me happy to see that there is so many wonderful products widely and easily available lately. It makes things so much easier! 🙂

Natural skincare performs better for me personally. I love and enjoy using it. My skin adores it. I love the idea of it and behind it. So, I wanted to make a place for us natural skincare lovers to talk about anything natural skincare as I see there are many others out there that are interested, or already in love with it, as well. So why not have our own little place on here? 🙂 So we can share our experiences ( good and/or bad ), loves, favorite products, favorite brands and their news/new launches, discus things, share our daily routines, talk DIYs if anyone is into that, why not? Anything really.

By "natural" skincare here I'm talking about skincare made mostly or completely of ingredients available in nature, like plant-derived ingredients, minerals... You know, the whole nine. 😉

Anyway - feel free to join in! You don't have to be a natural skincare lover exclusively. Everybody's welcome!

A word of caution... For those who are new to natural skincare, proceed with caution. Inform and educate yourself really well on everything you are interested in trying and putting on your skin. Natural does not mean it won't hurt you! And, it certainly doesn't mean it's safe. Some natural ingredients can be irritating for some people. Go with what's good for you, don't force anything on your skin just because someone said it is good. Do patch tests. Be smart. People prone to allergies should pay careful attention to what they use on their skin.

P.S. I am not completely and 100% natural, nor I imagine I ever will be as I do love me some other stuff, as well. But mostly, yes.

upload_7684854939366336630.jpg

Re: NATURAL SKINCARE TALK

Ohhh, I am familiar with that excitement all too well! 😄

Yes, definitely. Do keep us posted. I'd like to hear your thoughts about both of these, @Mochapj .

Yes please keep us posted about how you like product @Mochapj I am using and enjoying JRB hydration accelerator but can't say it's a must have for me.

So, if you are lucky to live in one of the cities Credo has its stores, they have these $30 Aurelia mini facials if that is something you are interested in:

"For a limited time, through July 15, our licensed estheticians will cleanse and protect in this 30 minute Aurelia facial. Available in all stores. ( Not that they have many. Only 4 so far that I am aware of. )"

I like Aurelia's cleanser, but didn't have a good experience with the night cream.  It left my cheeks dry and red, as if I had not applied any. @lyravega  Cult Beauty sometimes has good deals on that brand, as does their brand site.  They ship worldwide, I believe.

@Ispend2much6 I didn't have a good experience with the brand in general. It does nothing ( good ) for my skin. So, I personally don't care for it myself. I just posted this here because I see some people do like it.

I do like the idea of probiotic skincare, so it makes me sad it didn't work for me, though...

Thanks for sharing!

I don't know if it's 100% natural but the beauty brand Consonant is available at Sephora, and all their products are completely organic and free of virtually all harsh chemicals (i.e. alcohol, sulfates, parabens, all that stuff). Plus they're Canadian made! Their foaming face wash is an absolute godsend and makes my face feel like a baby's bottom. Every time I switch my cleanser I honestly feel the pH imbalance and other problems with my skin. I get dermatitis around my mouth and nose if I use sulfate based products and this always controls it. I try new things all the time and rarely ever find a holy grail item to stick to, but this cleanser I will use until I die. If they ever stop making it I don't know what I'll do 😞 

I haven't tried much of their other stuff (I'm not a fan of the clay mask, though people rave about it) but they have a ton of great stuff. If you're new to this whole "natural skincare" thing like I am, they're a great brand to try. 

@IZ95 part of the Canada team is in our SF office so I was lucky enough to snag the cleanser. I just started using it but love it so far!

I have tried most of Consonant's line. I was introduced to it years ago by a friend of a friend is in the beauty biz and she worked with them at one point. I bought their eye cream from her. 

If you are in Toronto, go to their stores. They're very very happy to make you samples of anything. They have 20% off twice a year (around April and Nov). Sale in Nov often have freebies. Their downtown store at Richmond Adelaide participates in the building's sidewalk sales sometimes and have specials.

My thoughts... (for reference, I have combo/oily skin that's more normal during winter. Some hormonal acne. In my 30's)

Favourites:

Foaming face wash - very gentle and effective. Don't let the foaming part scare you. Not drying at all.

Hydraextreme - really amazing hydrator but I don't have dry skin so haven't shelled out for full size. You only need 2-3 drops so the bottles last a while even though they're small.

DHE clay mask - I really liked this before I ventured out to try masks from other brands. It's a very "safe" mask...I know I can use it no matter my skin condition and it won't freak out. It has AHA fruit enzymes but it is a very gentle mask. My sister who has sensitive skin can use it with no issues. I have tough skin so I prefer more potent masks and don't use this as much now.

Deodorant - a natural deodorant that actually works! 

Okay but nothing special:

Face cream
Eye cream
Antioxidant Serum
Body wash & lotion
Hand cream

All of these are okay...they do the job but I didn't see any amazing results so don't think they're worth it for the price. Their creams/lotions tend to have a "plastic paint" smell that I don't enjoy. It's not a chemical smell per se but that's the best description I can come up with. They don't use any fragrance and some of the ingredients just don't smell great... The smell fades quickly for the body lotion and eye cream but lingers for the hand cream and face creams to my nose anyways. 

Not a fan of the Perfect Sunscreen. I find it takes a while to dry down and set. If it doesn't dry/absorb in the 10 mins or so that I take to eat breakfast, then I just don't have the patience for it. It feels filmy to me like I can feel it as a layer in my face most of the day. I do have friends who love it though so it might be me. 

They also sell candles, bath bombs and face wipes now. 

@bonafide11 wow thanks for the in depth review!! I didn't know about their 20% off sales but I'll try visiting one of their stores soon. They had a pop up shop in Yorkdale but it closed down 😞 I went there first to get all my samples

I was sent a sample of Hydraextreme but most of it had leaked in its way to me and there were as hardly enough left for a single application. I waiting for it to be offered as a promo or sample at Sephora so I can get some true sense of the product before spend the lump for full size.

Hydraextreme was shockingly good when I sampled it.  I was so surprised by what a difference it made in my skin's hydration levels because it looks and feels like it's just water.

It made my favourites list a few months back and I gladly shelled out for a FS bottle during the recent spring sale.

@Mochapj @lyravega @veronika23 I have samples of the Hydrextreme but I haven't used it yet. The full size costs so much so I can't bring myself to use them :'( 

@IZ95  I know it's expensive 😞 I bought mine during the Nov sale and use very little... so while it is expensive I think you can make it last for a while. I have very dry skin and this helps so much it's worth the price for me... but totally understand what you mean.

I magically obtained some HydrExtreme samples ( 😉 )and can't wait to try them! The stuff should be a god send for dry skin.

...they fell from the northern sky lol 😄

@IZ95  I love their HydrExtreme but never really tried anything else... except for the lip balm. It was nice but did not beat out my HG 😄  Maybe I should give other products a shot too at some point. 🙂

Anonymous Insider

@lyravegaWhat a great thread! I won't ever be 100% natural with my skincare but these are things in my current rotation or things I've tried that are worth mentioning.

Odacie serums- I have @Mochapj to thank for this little habit.

Tata Harper masks Resurfacing and Purifying. I love those! I have tried her cleansers, essence, and those are things I wouldn't purchase.

May Lindstrom - Honey Mud, Problem Solver, Clean Dirt. I also like Jasmine Garden and that's my next ML purchase. Youth Dew didn't do well with my skin unfortunately.

Mahalo- I love Rare Indigo Balm. I have tried the Pele, Petal (great scent), and unveil. The bean mask is my next to try from this line. Like others I love the Unveil but I can't justify the cost for a cleanser when I have so much to get through.

Josh Rosebrook - hydrating Accelerator is divine! I already have a backup I can't be without it. I also had his antioxidant mask and I do like it but it's a pain in the a** to apply.

Jordan Samuel - the hydrate is truly a lovely product and I recommend to start there with this line. I have the Etoile with retinol on my list for my next purchase.

De mamiel- so far I have the mist. It's very strong but nice. Although I won't repurchase when it's out. I have the cleansing balm and oil on my next to buy list.

Leahlani Skincare- this was an impulse purchase for me. I bought the Bless Balm, Siren Serum, and Mermaid mask. The only thing I would repurchase is the Mermaid mask. The siren serum was heavenly orange fragranced and too thick for my skin. The Bless balm is nice but I use it more as a first cleanse now since the texture I don't like as a finishing product in my routine.

Vintners Daughter - worth the price in my opinion. It absorbs well and gives such a good healthy glow.

One Love- so far I have the cleansing oil and it does the job but I won't repurchase.

Ollie - I have the cleansing oil and cleansing milk. I would not repurchase due to the medicinal smell.

Osmia- I have a couple things from this brand as far as soaps, balm, and body oil. She has new skincare coming out that I'm excited to try.

A suggestion for all the natural beauty lovers out there... Beauty Heros and Art of Organics monthly subscription boxes have become my favorite subs. DM me if you would like a referral.

I LOOOOVE the Art of Organics box. I'm working to detox my skincare line-up and that box has been so amazingly helpful. 20 stars!

Ohhh, hahaha, @Anonymous you made me laugh with "but it's a pain in the a** to apply." About JR cacao mask. It so is!!! It is a real bleep to apply! It settles so, so fast. Crazy. It takes a bit of practice to be fast and effective applying it, but it is worth it to me. It makes my face look and feel so nice. But! There's a new sheriff in town. 😉 If you like this one, you will like Mahalo The Bean even more. At least that's what happened with me. They have similar benefits ( so, no need for both of them ), but The Bean applies wayyyyy easier. And, my skin likes it even better than the JR Cacao mask. Oh, The Bean is a wonderful one. Just you wait and see. 😉

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator is everything. I always say I need that thing in gallons!

I love Leahlani! Her products actually work very nice for me. At least the ones I have and tried ( The Bless Balm, Aloha Ambrosia, Champagne Serum and Bohemian Rubi Balancing Toner. I liked Mahina, as well, until it broke me out. Oh well... ) I have dry skin, and the balm is so, so nice to my skin. Plus, it calms and evens out my skin so beautifully, I wake up as if I just applied a thin layer of a bb cream or something and my skin looks perfect ( as perfect as my skin can look ).

The Champagne Serum is very rich. That is something I reach for the most during the winter when my skin is the driest. Aloha Ambrosia is a bit lighter version, and I prefer it to The Champagne when my skin is not so dry. But, it's still amazing for dry skin. And, it smells. so. darn. good! All of these I mentioned above are fantastic for dry skin. I guess that's why I enjoy them so much.

Mahalo Rare Indigo and Leahlani Bless Balm are my two favorite balms right now. I think I even like the Leahlani one a bit more. And, the smell! Heaven! Haven't tried it as a cleanser... yet. I am guessing, one need a wash cloth to remove it? Does it emulsify?

May Lindstrom's whole line didn't do well with my skin... Not very dry skin friendly. Actually, not at all. Shame.

Vintner's Daughter is totally worth the price in my opinion, too! And, I am not gonna say that easily for many pricy products. That thing does everything! And, so beautifully!

Cool thread @lyravega! I've been getting more into natural beauty over the last year. I've found some brands/products I'm loving. Others have been misses: 

what j love: 

May Lindstrom: this has been a love for me. I love The a Youth Dew and Blue Coccoon a lot. I also use The Problem Solver pretty regularly.

Tata Harper: their masks are true standouts to me. The Resurfacing mask was my first love; now I love the purifying mask. I also like the Refreshing Face Wash a lot. It's perfect for the morning wash.

Uma Oils: I bought the face sample kit(which I recommend) and am in love with the Beauty boosting oil. So in love that I bought the full size when I have a ton of oils to use! This stuff is amazing. My skin feels and looks amazing when I use it. 

Ive tried Mahalo; I like The Mahalo Balm, but have not been into The Vitality Elixir or Petal Mask. 

Thanks, @mrsbaine !

Ay, that Mahalo Balm... I really liked how it felt on my skin. It felt sooo good! But, alas, it makes me completely orange! The Vitality Elixir also has some turmeric in it, but nothing compared to the balm. So, I can use it overnight. A hint of yellow is visible on my skin, but it is gone by the morning. But the balm! Haha, makes me orange for days. Shame... I really like it otherwise.

2 Replies
testing