Jandi

I pulled a foot long, living plant out of my bathroom drain tonight! What did this?

My top suspect is the Glamglow but in also wondering about the Origins black clay mask. I'm thankful that this particular incident was so easily solved but would like to prevent future issues.
love2shop42

Re: I pulled a foot long, living plant out of my bathroom drain tonight! What did this?

Great advice! 

missrmessner

Re: I pulled a foot long, living plant out of my bathroom drain tonight! What did this?

Hey Jandi, I'm an engineer and we see things like this often. They're usually associated with broken sanitary lines beneath your house, enabling soil and vegetation to enter your pipes. This can also lead to potential problems with your foundation due to the excess of water draining from the broken pipe (depending on your location and the types of soil present). 

I've honestly never encountered vegetation in a pipe due to something other than a broken line, but that's not to say it isn't possible. I'd try to monitor the situation and, if possible, get a plumber out to camera your sanitary lines. 

bratknits

It was a foot long and sticking out of the drain, it didn't crawl up the sewer pipe.  It's a bean that got dropped in the sink, probably caught in the fins sticking out of the plug and reached down to drink that little bit of water that's always in the trap.  For a bean that's less than a week of growth particularly somewhere warm like a bathroom.

kalex

I really don't think that plant was caused by a mask.  Even if a mask has seeds in it they should flush completely through your plumbing system when you run the water.  I suggest calling a plumber and having your pipes cleared.

danimazz

OMG! That's totally freaky! I hate pulling my own hair out of the drain, nevermind a living plant.  I'm going to have to start washing my face masks off outside, with the hose!

ladyace74

The things we do to look pretty!

danimazz

(0) Hearts

LOL I think it's a perfectly reasonable solution.  Although, with this stupid extra cold winter, I'd be wearing an ice mask.  At least that would just melt in into the drain.

ChicDabbler

creepy, now I'm paranoid..... @.@

rdesigns

I have been a bit worried about that darn Glamglow mask clogging up the drains in the bathroom.  After hearing of your plant, I think I am going to have to wash it off my face in the kitchen over the garbage disposal!  

bratknits

Don't.  Pumice and garbage disposals don't get along.

pinklissamel

Holy cow I will definately have to be much more viligant of what I throw down the drains, hmmmm thats crazy!!!!

YouAreAlways

I had this happen before. I had one of those eye pillow things filled with beads, and it broke. It broke over a towel and so I just threw it and shook the towel in the tub ran some water and good to go..Until my mother saw it and looked at the broken mask in the trash and said oh weird, these are SEEDS. My tub was worse off than that and still to this day has a plant smell when you run really hot water. I used one of those hair remover things and scrapped the heck out of the drain. 

pinklissamel

Oh my !!!! Would never have thought a mask would, could, or might be the culprit, my first thought would be a cracked pipe. hopefully you find the culprit to this issue and no one gets ahold of and eats anyones makeup :smileyhappy: Let the plant hunting begin!!!

Spoiler

Spoiler

kalex

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

A cracked pipe was my first thought too.  When I was a kid we lived in an old house where my parents had to have a plumber come out yearly due to plants/tree roots growing into the pipes.  It's either that or simply a mass amount of build-up that would allow a plant to take root and grow like that.

quotidianus

That is truly bizarre!

Jandi

I threw it out before I thought of taking a picture. (I was concerned it would want to be called Audrey and eat all my makeup.) This picture shows the bottom half of the plant and I was also able to find one of the leaves.image.jpg

bratknits

That's some kind of bean, the dried ones you get in the store will sprout quite easily so if you were cooking and got one caught in a shirt cuff and then washed your hands or something it could happen.

I'd be thrilled to find this is my drain compared to what I usually find.  I'm convinced my husband is half yeti and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh balding.  I'm the one that has to take the cover off the shower drain and snake that bugger once a month.  Although last time I'd swear I found a tribble in there.

crayzeeRN

upload_3949980299286565932.jpg

lylysa

OMG, the tribbles!!!!!

prettyinpa

[ Edited ]

It looks like a bean/pea family plant sprout, those "leaves" are cotyledons. Do you have any plants growing around your place like mimosa trees, alfafa, etc? I wouldn't blame the GlamGlow mask as the gritty particles in there are too small to be a viable seed. I think the seed that caused this was fairly large, think chia or sesame seed size.

NurseCupcake

FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!!!!!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 103 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • waterbaby1981
    • ladyace74