1930sbella

Fresh goodness not really beauty related

While were on the health freshness gig.......I was just outside in our garden picking a whole basketful of snap peas.

Ummm.....fresh deliciousness =)!

I feel so lucky to have a garden. How many of you where able to have a garden this year, or even a balcony box garden?

DesertRose0706

Re: Fresh goodness not really beauty related

I haven't had a proper place for a garden the last 2 years, but I miss having one so much!  Snap peas are my favorite to grow along with squash and tomatoes :smileyhappy:

mityren

I really miss fresh veggies all the time. :smileysad:  I don't have time or space for a garden but when the Duncards and Amish start setting up their stands it on! Nom nom nom. 

roxystar4

I love gardening and hope to expand one day and have something like prettyinpa.  I grow sugar snap peas, kale, many diff varieties of lettuce & spinach, Swiss chard, broccoli, parsley, cilantro, diff kinds of basil, diff var of tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, onions, variety of beans, beets, also a Indian plant that is like spinach. @prettyinpa you mentioned root storage- do you read Mother Earth News magazine?

prettyinpa

@roxystar4-   I read it when it is available at the library. Some months some mean person steals it off the shelf, so nobody gets to read it that month :smileysad:

There have been some good articles on deep mulch gardening, which is the type I do, way less weeding on my aging back!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Wow! That's terrible that someone would steal  mother earth news! The reason I mentioned it is that there are so many great articles about homesteading, gardening,  storage, etc...

i like the idea of less weeding! I mulch to over-winter my kale & garlic... I'll check it out

roxystar4

An Indian- not 'a' 

laurabt

Living in cold, windy San Francisco with no backyard makes it hard to have a garden. But, I was able to grow some plants in my back storage room (it gets a lot of light) once.  I grew tomatoes, basil, and cucumbers.  It was really fun & so pretty!  :smileyhappy:  -Laura

beautylovingirl

@1930sbella- No I've never had that salad before I have too much trouble with loving the tomatoes by themselves I don't want to add anything. My husband teases that I live on tomatoes in the summer.:smileyhappy:

1930sbella

I agree, tomatoes just as tomatoes is perfect.

prettyinpa

I have a big half acre garden as we eat a lot of vegetables and store root types over the winter. About the only thing we don't grow is tomatoes because they get anthracnose (soil borne disease) here and they are so cheap at the farmer's market that it's easier than battling the disease here for a few misshapen, rotten ones. We have a new variety of kale this year that tastes good even in summer, and lots and lots of peas, onions, lettuce, yum!

1930sbella

Sounds wonderful!

lylysa

No big garden for me, I would love to really invest some time in it one day though when I have the space. Currently my bf and I are working on a tiny herb garden :smileytongue:!

1930sbella

Ooh, sounds like fun! Herb gardens are wonderful.

Spyski

Oh wow! I love talking about gardening even though I have a fairly new green thumb :smileyhappy:

I was JUST at my local farm store picking up snap peas, then when I got home and opened the brown bag I found there were snap bean seeds instead. Oh wells, silly me for not checking the bag at first. I planted my second crop the other day using these seeds. 

My cukes are growing out of control, I love it! Recently, got into pickling them this year after my dad handed down his secret family pickle recipe :smileywink:

I have banana peppers, but have failed at pickling them. I used apple cider vinegar instead of regular but the result was way too sweet and no BANG like every pepper should have. If you have any tips on pickling sweet banana peppers, please do share!

beautylovingirl

We have a tomatoes in our garden I love fresh garden tomatoes I can hardly wait each year for them to be ready. YUM!

1930sbella

I love tomatoes!!!! Ever had Caprice salad? Its to die for, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and balsamic.

melissabt

Omg goodness, I've had that type of salad before, its amazing! I used to get it at this one local place and they also added onions and strawberries!

<3 Melissa
nebel

I don't have a very big garden, but I have enough space for herbs and a single tomato plant!! Basil + Tomatoes = happiness!

1930sbella

Totally!!!! Basil and tomatoes to me smell like summer.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • mityren
    • beautylovingirl