DTalksAll

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

[ Edited ]

*EDIT* 

This is a really old post, almost a year old, but I'm happy it was revived because it means people are using the search bar. Yay! HIGH FIVE! I'm not going to edit my previous post, because that would be wrong. I may have written it quickly & jumped the gun. Not all oils are bad, and not everyone will have the same results as me. Everyone's skin is different. Sephora & their employees like to overly promote the "flavor of the week". When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little frustrated with all the pushing of something Dermatologists weren't keen on. 

I would like to add that, I am not using PTR oil-less oil, it's 100% squalane that is sugar derived (not sharks) and it works really well for me. 

What I've recently found out though is that a lot of people are applying oils the wrong way. We were always taught to apply face products in order of thickness: toner/softener-> serum-> treatment-> moisturizer. The thing is oils are heavy, a lot heavier than most moisturizers even though they feel "light". Oils form a barrier and block Hyaluronic Acid and other benefit ingredients from penetrating into the skin. So really, you should be applying your oil last, to lock in all the moisture and benefits from your serums & moisturizer. 

*ORIGINAL POST* 

I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years & never had a problem Recently I got the 500 pt perk that included her Argan Oil. Everyone raves about it's benefits on the face, so I figured I'd give it a shot since this cold weather has been brutal on my skin. I have not changed anything else in my skincare, or makeup routine. After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash developing on my face near my nose (my dry spot areas). So I did a little Google search and was shocked to see all the negatives about Argan Oil on the face. Argan oil has many benefits in food and on hair, but the FDA has not cleared it for use on the face. Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

I'm surprised Sephora promotes something when it is highly advised by Doctors not to be used on the face. 

Cattknap

Re: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

(0) Hearts

I love argan oil for my face and I have very, very sensitive skin - love the stuff!

emm14

(0) Hearts

i have rashes on my cheek after 2 nights using of josie maran argan oil :smileysad:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Oh no, stop using it. You may be fine using other facial oils. 

LadyInWhite

While I don't have an opinion either way about Argan oil, I would like to send a high five to DannyC for not editing the orginal post, but for adding the "Here are some additional thoughts, I don't think I expressed my views quite the way I wanted to back then, and now I know some other stuff" post.  That's how it should be done.

DTalksAll

Thanks. One of my pet peeves is when someone will edit & delete everything they originally said. Then the comments & other info never seem to add up. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I am now tempted to post responses to imaginary posts you never wrote. =D

Agree about Estee Lauder, not sure about Nars, and omg, that thing you said that other day about this other thing was totally true. Seriously. =P

DTalksAll

LOL thanks for the laugh! You know I'm always raving about Nars & Estee Lauder. Come to think of it, I honestly can't remember when was the last time I used anything EL. 

beargirl

I was given this link based on the below post that I posted over a week ago and wanted to share my very painful experience.  I understand and feel your pain and others need to be educated.  You can follow the link to see the responses I received.  

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Have-you-experienced-this-adverse-reaction-to-Josie-...

serioustree

(0) Hearts

Honestly, I love argan oil on my face! ... For the first 10 minutes then my skin dries like the desert, as if I've never had a drop of water in my life. =/ good thing I've never bought it. Learned this from the samples. Just wouldn't last on my skin. =( 

FitFan

(0) Hearts

I literally returned this product yesterday! What a coincidence. I followed all the rave reviews and tried it on my face, big mistake! I know there is such a thing as a purging period but this just did not work out for me. I think my face is just not meant for oil cleansing methods as much as I'd like to try it out. I am very prone to breakouts and I got huge cystic acne on my face/the front of my cheeks(closer to my nose than my ears). My face responds better to more gentle/natural products. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Have  you tried a mix ration of 3 parts coconut oil to 1 part castor oil for your OCM or did you just try the JM Argan oil?? I don't dare use Argan oil to cleanse with but works great for other body parts. If you want more detailed information on oil cleansing, ( the true method) please feel free to PM me for more information>

Londonlover101

very informative! thanks for the info dannyc!

IAmLadyLiterary

I have had no issues with it, I use it twice a day on my face, the AO Light in the morning overtop of my moisturizer, under makeup, and then the regular AO at night after I wash my face.  I have been using it for longer than 5 weeks and have actually had less spots.  It is the only thing that helps with my dry skin, seriously if I don't put on AOL under my makeup or even just put it on during a no makeup day my skin gets so dry I can't wear foundation for days until I rehydrate my skin.  I swear by it!

I'm not arguing with you, I know everyone has a different experience but I have had nothing but good experience with it, I even use the Infinity Oil when my skin is particularly dry.  

And just a question, is it the same with Tarte's Maracuja Oil?  Or is that one safer.  

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I don't think it's the same as Tarte's but maracuja oil could probably have it's own side effects. I only researched argan oil since it made me blotchy. Then I tried PTR oil-less oil without issues, and stopped researching oils. 

IttyxBittyxMe

Oils are truly a 'to each her' own kinda thing, they do different things for different people. Like people are just discovering the greatness of coconut oil but many people are also allergic to it and don't even know. It hasn't had a negative effect on my face (coconut or argan oil)BUT I will NOT put it on under makeup. The argan oil light is promoted to be safe enough to use under makeup but no oil based product is as oil removes makeup (I've used the AOL to remove makeup before). So I've never understood that claim at all....But I am sorry it had such a negative effect on your face

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I'm not oily, but I don't like heavy products on my skin under makeup. I've been so tempted to try the Hourglass serum primer, but I'm afraid of all the oils in it & my milia prone skin. I also agree with you on the oil under makeup thing. Then again, most people think they can't use oils on their oily skin, when in fact it could help decrease their oil. 

makeupmaven

Yep, I love oils, but my skin isn't oily or breakout-prone so oils really do balance it out. It does go through some changes w/ the seasons/ weather changes like anyone else. I love Kate Somerville's Dilo Oil and recently I've been using and loving Fresh's Seaberry Oil. I don't have a lot of steps in my skincare regimen (my skin is young so I don't use any anti-aging serums) so it works for me. When I was in Thailand (humid) I liked putting Dilo Oil on top of my PTR CC. While that probably didn't help me much in the sense of sun protection (I'd reapply sunscreen after going in the water), it did help with preventing shine while still letting my skin glow.

But to each their own, everyone is different when it comes to any skincare product, including oils!

mdelrosario91

I used Argan oil on my face back in December for like 2 weeks, but I stopped when I noticed a bunch of blackheads on the tops of my cheekbones.  This was so weird because first of all, I never get blackheads... ever. I only get whiteheads, those underground pimples, and cysts. Second, since I had my first pimple (12 years old), I've never had pimples on my cheekbones.  It used to be the one area on my face that was clear as day no matter how severe my acne was.  So, this was the culprit.  The blackheads are only starting to completely disappear now :smileysad:

melde

What about oils like maracuja or tsubaki?????

DTalksAll

It's just like anything else, it depends on the ingredients. I'm sure maracuja, tsubaki, squalane... all have their positives & negatives. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 105 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • cocobella
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • marydiva
    • Manda
    • jojobe