Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

[ Edited ]

*EDIT* 

This is a really old post, almost a year old, but I'm happy it was revived because it means people are using the search bar. Yay! HIGH FIVE! I'm not going to edit my previous post, because that would be wrong. I may have written it quickly & jumped the gun. Not all oils are bad, and not everyone will have the same results as me. Everyone's skin is different. Sephora & their employees like to overly promote the "flavor of the week". When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little frustrated with all the pushing of something Dermatologists weren't keen on. 

I would like to add that, I am not using PTR oil-less oil, it's 100% squalane that is sugar derived (not sharks) and it works really well for me. 

What I've recently found out though is that a lot of people are applying oils the wrong way. We were always taught to apply face products in order of thickness: toner/softener-> serum-> treatment-> moisturizer. The thing is oils are heavy, a lot heavier than most moisturizers even though they feel "light". Oils form a barrier and block Hyaluronic Acid and other benefit ingredients from penetrating into the skin. So really, you should be applying your oil last, to lock in all the moisture and benefits from your serums & moisturizer. 

*ORIGINAL POST* 

I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years & never had a problem Recently I got the 500 pt perk that included her Argan Oil. Everyone raves about it's benefits on the face, so I figured I'd give it a shot since this cold weather has been brutal on my skin. I have not changed anything else in my skincare, or makeup routine. After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash developing on my face near my nose (my dry spot areas). So I did a little Google search and was shocked to see all the negatives about Argan Oil on the face. Argan oil has many benefits in food and on hair, but the FDA has not cleared it for use on the face. Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

I'm surprised Sephora promotes something when it is highly advised by Doctors not to be used on the face. 

Re: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

(0) Hearts

I think a lot of beliefs about using oils on your skin are outdated and based on days when cosmetic oils were made from petroleum products or by-products and would clog your pores.  Think of all the old product descriptions that would say "does not contain oil" - meaning petroleum products.  I think the use of plant-based oils on skin has really changed the skincare industry though some brands have been using them for ages (like clarins). I use maracuja oil on my face as a moisturizer and I much prefer it to a mix of chemicals in a jar.  I also think a lot of the mainstream cosmetic companies are integrating oils like argan oil in a diluted form into the products - because why would you buy a batch of chemicals in a jar when you could put something simple on your face. I do think from what I've read though everyone can have different reactions to oils so you have to test it yourself. For examplpe, some people swear by coconut oil and others get cystic acne. I found Josie's oil made me breakout occasionally and much prefer maracuja oil, which I buy from Garden of Wisdom in an odorless form, which is much less expensive than Tartes.  I will continue to use oils as my moisturizer because I love knowing what I am putting on my face rather than trusting that to the cosmetic companies.  Love Josie for introducing me to Argan oil and using oils. I wonder if a reaction to Argan can sometimes be a nut-related allergy?

(0) Hearts

I know this is an old post but it really helps me so thanks op. I recently decided to try argan oil and didn't experience any immediate adverse effects to make me question it. But after a few weeks, I started getting some increased redness and sensitivity so this helps me narrow down what in my skincare might be contributing to this. 

(0) Hearts

My boyfriend put argon oil on his face last night and this morning he woke up with blisters and his face on fire.  What can he do  now?  I think he is having an allergic reaction to argon oil! 

(0) Hearts

My boyfriend used it last night and this morning he work up with blisters on his face and his face is on fire.  Does anyone know what he can do? This sounds like an allergic reacton to me. Thanks.

(0) Hearts

What type of allergic reaction did you have, if I may ask? I had an allergic reaction because I used it around my eyes & it's like my skin won't return to normal now.

(0) Hearts

I am using another brand Argan Oil from Oil Republic. It's non greasy and absorbs quickly. It doesnt clog pores at all and I love it.

They also have Shampoos and Conditioners with Argan Oil and its amazing!

www.oil-republic.com

(0) Hearts

I just can't wrap my head around oil being good for ppl with super oily skin. I have ridiculously oily skin so I'm always fighting it with toners and mattifiers but was told to try JM AOL. I bought it and it seemed to exacerbate the oil issue but now as its gotten cold on the east coast (finally!) I've gotten many random dry spots around my mouth and temples and random pimples in those dryish areas. I feel like it would work if I used it correctly but it is definitely out of the question to use under makeup.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I think it depends on why one's skin is oily in the first place. If the skin is dehydrated, then it will overproduce oil to help it stay moisturized. I think that was the case with me, because I'm currently using Herbivore's Lapis oil, and my skin went from super oily to dewy!

The problem with oils is that it's so skin-specific, so what works for me may not work for you. A brand that doesn't break one out may cause acne in another.

As for you, it sounds like the JM AOL isn't working for you (it doesn't seem the skin is balanced). The winter can be harsh though, so what previously worked may not work now. Are you using any other moisturizers on the drier areas on your face?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

If  that is the case for using Josie Maran's Argan oil, then I'm going to start changing up my nighttime beauty routine by applying the argan oil last! Thank you of the tip! I'm hoping that I will see some kind of improvement. 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

People are so misguided about how to go about using oils. I agree, obviously everyone has different skin types and will react to products differently. However, when using an oil, you want to make sure it's in its PUREST FORM. I will only use a straight oil on my face if it has a USDA seal. If you're using a lesser quality oil, that will for sure stand out on your skin. Something may not be working properly or cooperating with your skin simply because you are using a crap quality oil, or it's not formulated correctly. Always make sure oils are unrefined/refined, cold pressed, expeller pressed, organic, etc...if you want the best results. Invest in a smaller and organic company. Big brand names does NOT mean you are getting the quality you think you are paying for. 

(0) Hearts

Here's the thing, the reason why oils work or don't work for people is because everybody has different skin.  So your best friend and the people at Sephora may swear by it, and it may not work for you and that's fine.  If it makes your skin soft and smooth thats great.  If its giving you a rash, then you might just be having an allergic reaction to the oil.  And to all those people saying that the oil breaks you out, then maybe it's something else, because argan oil has been proving to be a completely non-comedogenic oil, meaning that it won't clog your pores at all. 

(0) Hearts

I love argan oil for my face and I have very, very sensitive skin - love the stuff!

(0) Hearts

i have rashes on my cheek after 2 nights using of josie maran argan oil Smiley Sad

(0) Hearts

Oh no, stop using it. You may be fine using other facial oils. 

While I don't have an opinion either way about Argan oil, I would like to send a high five to DannyC for not editing the orginal post, but for adding the "Here are some additional thoughts, I don't think I expressed my views quite the way I wanted to back then, and now I know some other stuff" post.  That's how it should be done.

Thanks. One of my pet peeves is when someone will edit & delete everything they originally said. Then the comments & other info never seem to add up. 

[ Edited ]

I am now tempted to post responses to imaginary posts you never wrote. =D

Agree about Estee Lauder, not sure about Nars, and omg, that thing you said that other day about this other thing was totally true. Seriously. =P

LOL thanks for the laugh! You know I'm always raving about Nars & Estee Lauder. Come to think of it, I honestly can't remember when was the last time I used anything EL. 

I was given this link based on the below post that I posted over a week ago and wanted to share my very painful experience.  I understand and feel your pain and others need to be educated.  You can follow the link to see the responses I received.  

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Have-you-experienced-this-adverse-reaction-to-Josie-...

(0) Hearts

Honestly, I love argan oil on my face! ... For the first 10 minutes then my skin dries like the desert, as if I've never had a drop of water in my life. =/ good thing I've never bought it. Learned this from the samples. Just wouldn't last on my skin. =( 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats