DTalksAll

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

[ Edited ]

*EDIT* 

This is a really old post, almost a year old, but I'm happy it was revived because it means people are using the search bar. Yay! HIGH FIVE! I'm not going to edit my previous post, because that would be wrong. I may have written it quickly & jumped the gun. Not all oils are bad, and not everyone will have the same results as me. Everyone's skin is different. Sephora & their employees like to overly promote the "flavor of the week". When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little frustrated with all the pushing of something Dermatologists weren't keen on. 

I would like to add that, I am not using PTR oil-less oil, it's 100% squalane that is sugar derived (not sharks) and it works really well for me. 

What I've recently found out though is that a lot of people are applying oils the wrong way. We were always taught to apply face products in order of thickness: toner/softener-> serum-> treatment-> moisturizer. The thing is oils are heavy, a lot heavier than most moisturizers even though they feel "light". Oils form a barrier and block Hyaluronic Acid and other benefit ingredients from penetrating into the skin. So really, you should be applying your oil last, to lock in all the moisture and benefits from your serums & moisturizer. 

*ORIGINAL POST* 

I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years & never had a problem Recently I got the 500 pt perk that included her Argan Oil. Everyone raves about it's benefits on the face, so I figured I'd give it a shot since this cold weather has been brutal on my skin. I have not changed anything else in my skincare, or makeup routine. After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash developing on my face near my nose (my dry spot areas). So I did a little Google search and was shocked to see all the negatives about Argan Oil on the face. Argan oil has many benefits in food and on hair, but the FDA has not cleared it for use on the face. Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

I'm surprised Sephora promotes something when it is highly advised by Doctors not to be used on the face. 

czjeffords

Re: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

I had the exact same issue! I got several patches of tiny tiny bumps all over my face and neck, the use of the argan oil was the only thing I changed about my routine. SO glad I only got the sample bottle and didn't spend my money on this stuff.

mityren

Im not the only one!  I have super sensitive skin so I thought it as just me. Its great in my hair though and my feet have never been softer.:smileywink: I have 2 of the sample bottles to use and a ittle goes  long way. Definitely not buying  though. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the details in the comment! Hmm, I'm going to assume you are talking about "oleic acid". According to Wikipedia, Argan Oil consist of 42% oleic acid, which is comedogenic according to numerous websites, but it also consists of 36% linoleic acid, which helps reduce inflammation and is good for the skin. "Oleic acid is thicker and dryer and causes clogged pores....The use of these oils [safflower] helps raise the level of linoleic acid on the skin, so the sebum is thinner and more fluid." I think that's why Argan oil is a hit or miss depending on how your skin likes one or the other. And some companies avoids oleic acid/oil by using dimethicone instead, which can also clog pores depending on your skin. Tho my skin doesn't have a problem with argan oil or dimethicone *knocks on wood*.

The consensus among the Google articles is that Oleic acid is bad but linoleic acid is good. People say that *in general* oil clogs pores, but I have not been able to find articles online saying that any/all oil clog pores (safflower oil seems to be non-comedogenic according to all the articles I browsed, and is used in a ton of moisturizers). If you know of any reliable articles quoting that, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction since I'm oily/combo skinned. =]

So, that's all I found, seems like everyone is right to some degree, lol. Ok, time for me to go read something other than chemistry.

shapeshifter

Thank you! I was just about to chime in with something about this. Other examples of oils that are comedogenic (clogging) are coconut oil and lanolin, but jojoba oil is non-comedogenic, and is recommended for use on the face as a moisturizer by acne.org.

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

Very interesting. Thanks for the detailed info, beautytester! I, also, have combo-oily skin and argan oil works great for me.

StraightRhodes

Um, the FDA will never clear this for use on the face as it is a cosmetic and the FDA only deals with foods and drugs, hence it name. Cosmetics are not food or drugs.

If a product is said to treat a medical problem, or if it has SPF, it falls under the FDA jurisdiction, but otherwise not.

At the moment there is no administration to test cosmetics. If there were cosmetic prices would go up :/

bratknits

The FDA does have jurisdiction over cosmetics and has had it since 1938.  A cosmetic that makes certain claims that it's "intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease" and that are "intended to affect the structure or any function of the body" are considered a drugs rather than cosmetics and have to go through the drug approval process or change the claims.  Just out of curiosity, what gave you the idea that the FDA didn't have jurisdiction over cosmetics?

manniface

"When it comes to cosmetics, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act prohibits the sale of makeup that contains substances or color additives known to be harmful, anything that's decomposing, or anything that has been exposed to unsanitary conditions (these are referred to collectively as "adulterated cosmetics"). Additionally, it requires honest labeling that contains certain required information. The FDA is also authorized to inspect cosmetics manufacturing, and to take and test samples during inspections or after receiving complaints. They monitor imports to assure that imported cosmetics are also up to snuff. And, of course, they can pursue legal action against companies who break the law by selling adulterated or otherwise unsafe cosmetics."-brightest bulb in the box

DTalksAll

Doesn't she have an SPF moisturizer with argan oil? 

Argan oil is high in leic acid which is comedogenic & may cause inflammatory reactions. An ingedient that is kown to bring on rosacea should not be sold for skin. 

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

Now I feel bad recommending it to my Mom (because it works so well for me) who has rosacea. She said that it seemed to make her rosacea worse, and now I know why. Thanks for the info, dannyc.

cocobella

I think as with any skincare product, you have to test it on your skin to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction to it before using it all over. I use the JM Argan oil on my face every day and I've never had a reaction, so I've started mixing it in with my regular moisturizer to help my skin since it's been so dry in the winter months. 

Everyone's skin will react differently, but for the people it works for (like me), it works great!

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

I use it daily too, for over 3 years now and love it. Definitely a holy grail product for me. I agree with you, cocobella, everyone's skin is different and will react differently to products. I guess mine just seems to love argan oil.

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

I did a patch test on my arm for 2 days, no reaction. Face, after 5 days... not so much.  Like I said I've been using 100% argan oil on my hair for years, so my hands are always touching it & have never had any issues. The reseach I found with argan oil on the face is it's a big no-no. Hair & body is fine, but it's too much for the face. 

cocobella

I've been using it for months on my face and I haven't had a reaction yet, so I'll probably continue to do so. But I'm sorry it didn't work for you! 

jrooks

I agree with this, I used a couple times and ended up with a rash and horrible things popping up on my skin like an allergic reaction. NEVER AGAIN.

catherineu2

I used Argan Oil as my face moisturizer for only 4 days recently and that's all it took for me.  It's terrible!  My skin is now super dry, irritated, tight and red.  I usually have combo/oily skin and now it's like a desert.  It actually hurts to smile and it gave me one of the biggest pimples I've ever had!  I don't know how anyone can use this on their face.  I think people were paid to write the great reviews it has.

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

I've been using it for over 3 years now and it works great for me, it cleared up my skin. I actually had the same reaction everyone is describing when I tried using maracuja oil. I think it just depends on your skin, mine is also combo-oily, super sensitive and acne prone.

DTalksAll

Funny, a celebrity endorses something that is organic & everyone goes nuts over it.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 105 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • cocobella
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • marydiva
    • Manda
    • jojobe