Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

[ Edited ]

*EDIT* 

This is a really old post, almost a year old, but I'm happy it was revived because it means people are using the search bar. Yay! HIGH FIVE! I'm not going to edit my previous post, because that would be wrong. I may have written it quickly & jumped the gun. Not all oils are bad, and not everyone will have the same results as me. Everyone's skin is different. Sephora & their employees like to overly promote the "flavor of the week". When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little frustrated with all the pushing of something Dermatologists weren't keen on. 

I would like to add that, I am not using PTR oil-less oil, it's 100% squalane that is sugar derived (not sharks) and it works really well for me. 

What I've recently found out though is that a lot of people are applying oils the wrong way. We were always taught to apply face products in order of thickness: toner/softener-> serum-> treatment-> moisturizer. The thing is oils are heavy, a lot heavier than most moisturizers even though they feel "light". Oils form a barrier and block Hyaluronic Acid and other benefit ingredients from penetrating into the skin. So really, you should be applying your oil last, to lock in all the moisture and benefits from your serums & moisturizer. 

*ORIGINAL POST* 

I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years & never had a problem Recently I got the 500 pt perk that included her Argan Oil. Everyone raves about it's benefits on the face, so I figured I'd give it a shot since this cold weather has been brutal on my skin. I have not changed anything else in my skincare, or makeup routine. After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash developing on my face near my nose (my dry spot areas). So I did a little Google search and was shocked to see all the negatives about Argan Oil on the face. Argan oil has many benefits in food and on hair, but the FDA has not cleared it for use on the face. Dermatologists freak out when they hear patients use it because it can bring on rosacea and is highly comedogenic. Any oil (natural or not) will clog pores.

I'm surprised Sephora promotes something when it is highly advised by Doctors not to be used on the face. 

Re: Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face

I think as with any skincare product, you have to test it on your skin to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction to it before using it all over. I use the JM Argan oil on my face every day and I've never had a reaction, so I've started mixing it in with my regular moisturizer to help my skin since it's been so dry in the winter months. 

Everyone's skin will react differently, but for the people it works for (like me), it works great!

(0) Hearts

I use it daily too, for over 3 years now and love it. Definitely a holy grail product for me. I agree with you, cocobella, everyone's skin is different and will react differently to products. I guess mine just seems to love argan oil.

[ Edited ]

I did a patch test on my arm for 2 days, no reaction. Face, after 5 days... not so much.  Like I said I've been using 100% argan oil on my hair for years, so my hands are always touching it & have never had any issues. The reseach I found with argan oil on the face is it's a big no-no. Hair & body is fine, but it's too much for the face. 

I've been using it for months on my face and I haven't had a reaction yet, so I'll probably continue to do so. But I'm sorry it didn't work for you! 

I agree with this, I used a couple times and ended up with a rash and horrible things popping up on my skin like an allergic reaction. NEVER AGAIN.

I used Argan Oil as my face moisturizer for only 4 days recently and that's all it took for me.  It's terrible!  My skin is now super dry, irritated, tight and red.  I usually have combo/oily skin and now it's like a desert.  It actually hurts to smile and it gave me one of the biggest pimples I've ever had!  I don't know how anyone can use this on their face.  I think people were paid to write the great reviews it has.

(0) Hearts

I've been using it for over 3 years now and it works great for me, it cleared up my skin. I actually had the same reaction everyone is describing when I tried using maracuja oil. I think it just depends on your skin, mine is also combo-oily, super sensitive and acne prone.

Funny, a celebrity endorses something that is organic & everyone goes nuts over it.  

Conversation Stats