iknowitstoday

Coconut oil

I LOVE COCONUT OIL! For my hair, my face, my hands, feet, coconut oil in my bath water.  do you use coconut oil what are your favorite uses? do you eat it? I used to do this thing called oil pulling and it is supposed to be good for not only your oral health but a ton of other health benefits. And a friend uses it in the bedroom.

Do you love coconut oil? How do you use it?

marydiva

Re: Coconut oil

(0) Hearts

Coconut oil is a fantastic hair mask and a great way to lock in moisture over the winter months. I use it to battle the psoriasis on my scalp as well as add life and vitality to my curls. I used to do it once a week but I've been getting lazy. I'm due for another treatment too!

jojobe

I use it for just about everything, I don't use any other oil except for my footsies I use 100% raw shea butter. I have the best husband who rubs my feet with it almost every night. I love how it really locks in the moisture. I Love using coconut cream too.....I usually do a hair mask once a week and I keep a little pot of it for my lips at night before bed because my lips usually get cracked while I sleep. Still have not figured out the right humidity setting for this dry climate we moved to!

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

Yes, oil pulling is awesome, I just wish I could remember to do it. :smileyhappy:

ashhay

(0) Hearts

I use it for my hair . I am not opposed to cooking with it but I prefer cooking with olive or sunflower oil. I fry with vegetable or canola oil. I have made salad dressings with grape seed oil.

FitFan

(0) Hearts

I too love Coconut Oil!

I use it as a seal in moisturizer for my hair and also in my scalp.

I had been wondering about using it on my face but I don't know as what and I'm scared I may break out.

I tried to cook with it once but I think my fire was too high because it just burned the bottom of the pan unfortunately. 

kalex

Yes, love coconut oil!

Baking - I just replaced the butter in rice krispie treats with coconut oil for the first time the other day.  So good!

Hair - use it as a mask about once a week.

NotCrocker

(0) Hearts

I cook with coconut oil often, it's great with meats and veggies alike. I also use it with some sugar as my lip exfoliator, it is my go-to massage oil, and I make a hair mask from time to time with it.

We get ours from Costco, great product, organic, and a fraction of the cost from all the stores around us.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

I love coconut oil for skin/hair care. Sometimes I use it to cook but it's a bit too heavy for baking, where I prefer grapeseed oil.

Basically I use olive or coconut for cooking, grapeseed for baking, sesame for seasoning, and the normal/cheap kind for frying.

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I use coconut oil for cooking and baking. Don't want to use those nasty and toxic refined vegetable oils anymore. I use it to make my lip balm, body lotion, deodorant. I also put it in my coffee, smoothies... on my hair... It is fantastic and healthy stuff and has many, many different and possible uses.

lissay

(0) Hearts

I use Coconut Oil to make whipped body butter. Haven't bought a store lotion in over 6 months! I also use it as an overnight conditioner on the ends of my hair. Love Coconut Oil!

syritt

Thank you Trader Joe's for providing it in large jars. ^_^ I use it for everything, but especially cooking. It's great as a substitute for any other oil to give a really subtle flavor. I love it for all my gluten-free recipes especially since I substitute other flours and it seems to play nice.

I also love it as a gentle makeup remover, and a great smelling body oil.

mberteig

I just bought my first jar from Trader Joe's today and am curious, how do you use it as a makeup remover?  It is solid at room temperature.  Thanks!

NotCrocker

Carve out a little and put it in your palm, it will become liquid pretty quickly. It melts at fairly low temperatures.

lyravega

[ Edited ]

@Mberteig - Don't worry, it's gonna melt as soon as it touches your skin. So just "dig" out a little bit of it with your fingers/spatula/something and start to dab it on your face ( or if you like, warm it between your fingers/palms first ), and massage it gently over your face in circular motions. Then use hand towel/makeup remover cloths/paper tissues to gently remove makeup. Wash with soapy water and pat dry. That's it :smileywink:

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I tried using some yesterday to remove my eye makeup.  I used a small amount and let it warm in my hands first.  I have to say it worked very well and did not irritate my eyes.  I used a cotton ball to wipe it off, but I think a damp one would be better.  Anyway, I liked it!

jaimelove

(0) Hearts

we use it for cooking too :smileyvery-happy: and! they have it in a spray can, as well! LOVE it :smileyhappy: perfect for when i just need a light coating on my pan :smileyhappy: 

i've never tried it as a makeup remover! i'll have to give that one a shot one of these days :smileyhappy: 

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I love coconut oil! I use it mainly in skin/hair care, but I would be happy to try it for cooking when I get to cooking more again (I hate my kitchen, its ridiculously non functional so I haven't been cooking almost at all). I like to soak my hair in coconut oil in the summer and then leave it all day, because its so dry here and the water is so hard it makes a huge difference. I also infuse herbs in it and use it as a body oil, it makes my skin so happy and keeps my eczema from flaring up.

LuckyWinter

(0) Hearts

I only use it for hair, it makes a good hair treatment / mask but  where I live its so hard to find! :smileysad:

Nuke

(0) Hearts

I use RMS Coconut Oil as make-up remover! Everything slides right off and my skin doesn't feel irritated at all. I feel great using it because I have sensitive skin and always feel apologetic to my skin when wearing face make-up, haha. 

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

I do not use it personally but I have a friend who cooks with it, she says its suppose to help balance hormones.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lissay
    • mberteig
    • ashhay
    • marydiva
    • lyravega