melde

What is your favorite 3 (or 4 or 5) free topcoat?

I'm starting to think that the harsh smell from my nail polish sometimes leads to migraines, so I've been purchasing more 3 (or 4 or 5) free nail polish.

I am a big fan of Orly topcoat, though, and I have yet to make the switch... can you guys recommend your favorites so I can try a few?

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

thesupergirl

Re: What is your favorite 3 (or 4 or 5) free topcoat?

(0) Hearts

I have used in the past julep freedom polymer topcoat it's ok, but now I use formula x my nails dry so much faster with it.

orkira

DEBORAH LIPPMANN is my favorite brand of nail polish hands down.  Drys fast and lasts almost a week on my fingers which is highly unusual because nail polish usually only lasts 1 day on my fingers before it begins to wear off.  

melde

That is a long time! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

Oh the smell from nail polish bothers me too! I don't get migraines but the fumes make my throat feel scratchy. X.X

I can only do nail art in well ventilated area (with a fan) and only a couple minutes at a time, just as well since you have to wait for polish to dry anyways.

melde

(0) Hearts

That is a good idea, I should use a little fan.

I guess it bothers me because even after they are all dry, I can sometimes smell the chemicals when I go to sleep (if my hands are near my face), or even the next day.

I know, I'm a sensitive weirdo over here. :/

I guess that using 3-5 free polishes just helps lessen that?

sulfate

(0) Hearts

I normally wear Zoya and Sparitual.  I just bought the Deborah Lippmann Gel Lab (great btw) and even though it's 5-free, it just about knocked me out relative to those other two brands.  The moral of my story is you may want to give those two a try.  They may have Sparitual at your local Sephora and you could polish your nails with the sample and then see how you feel later that day etc. 

ChicDabbler

Nope, they all stink. I've got a sensitive nose and can smell things I don't like (patroulli, licorice from a mile away) and actually considered wearing a mask, but it gets sweaty in the summer and really, the fan dilute the smell enough it doesn't bother me.

melde

(0) Hearts

Oh well good to know! I really do need to try the fan idea. :smileyhappy:

shortstuff07

Butter London for sure!  Hands down favorite!

melde

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I have actually never tried a Butter London polish... I will have to fix that!

mafan

They're having a 30% off sale on their site through the end of the day.  Might be worth checking it out.  I do like their polish but I haven't tried their topcoat.

My favorite is called "Out the Door" and Sally Beauty sells it.  It dries really quickly.  I can't cope with topcoats that don't set quickly anymore.  (I also like the Bridge The Ridge basecoat that they sell -- great to make your nails seem smooth if you have ridges in them.)

melde

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

shortstuff07

It's one of the few brands I can use, others have gluten and make my nails crabby and peely.  I've been very happy with them.

melde

(0) Hearts

Good to know! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • sulfate
    • melde