fran11

Top coats or other tricks?

Hi Everyone!

I really love painting my nails and am very happy when they look pretty :smileyvery-happy:  I do get upset/annoyed when they start to chip after a day or so.  Do any of you have any recommendations for good top coats that work - or any other tips/tricks that may help with this problem!?

Thanks a bunch!
Fran 

lylysa

Re: Top coats or other tricks?

(0) Hearts

Seche Vite's fast drying top coat! That stuff is amazing! My friend turned me onto it and I'm sad I didn't use it sooner! Not only does it help nails dry fast but it does wonders as a top coat. I've had some quick dry top coats not work out so well, but this one will make my manicure stay for a week at least, plus it gives an amazing shine. It is a little thicker than most formulas, so a little goes a long way, but it's not so thick that it's goopy and you run into problems with pushing it around the nail bed.

Also, make sure you cover the tips of your nails, not just the nail bed itself when you finish off your nails!

26ten

(0) Hearts

I agree! Seche Vite is the best top coat out there, it is amazing. It may cost a little more than drugstore top coats but it's totally worth the money.

dianabt

Hi fran11!

I also love the Nails Inc Top Coat, I apply that first and then follow up with a quick dry spray as well for an extra long hold. :smileyhappy:

Nail Colour Quick Dry Spray

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
fran11

Thank you all for the suggestions!  I have tried cheap drugstore top coats and have found they do nothing! I repainted last night and already noticed a small chip on my thumb… grrr. :smileyfrustrated:

I will definitely check out the Nails Inc Top coat and the quick dry spray! It sounds like these might just do the trick!!

keelybt

Hi Fran11.  I recommend trying the Nails Inc. Kensington Caviar Top Coat.  It is amazing!  It keeps my polish on for about 5-7 days and it makes the polish dry so much faster.  My polish is completely dry within a few minutes!
Kensington Caviar Top Coat

thamerz

any drugstore topcoat is great! the key is to reapply the topcoat the next day, because they don't take very long to dry so it shouldn't take a long time. You can do this as many times as you want, and the nail polish will stay forever!

ssmittys

There's nothing worse than the mani you worked so hard on to start chipping! I am curretnly using a Sephora by OPI topcoat. I put it on when I do my nails, then once a day for two days after. I work in a hospital setting and hand sanitizer eats up my polish! To further prolong the life of my mani, I will on the 5th day or so use a glitter topcoat on the top halfs of my nails. This not only covers up the chips, but it brings new life to the mani! :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

I usually paint my nails with another topcoat every other day or so, and when painting the color, a manicurist told me to swipe the edge of the nail as well so it stays longer. I do this and it helps to hold my mani for about 10 or so days. I also use the sparkle top coats by OPI and it hides chips for a lot longer.
fran11

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I will have to remember to reapply the top coat!  I also love the glitter top coats but sometimes I want just a color and get irked when it chips!

@makeupobsessed - that's a good point, I will have to try that next time! Anytime I have had acrylics put on I noticed the manicurist swiped the edges! :smileyhappy:

mightyclassy07

(0) Hearts

China Glaze's Fast Foward Top Coat is my Holy Grail tc.  Amazing and dries super quick.  All of China Glaze is great actually.  :smileyhappy:  Also, paint the very tips of your nails to prevent chipping.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • ssmittys
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • fran11
    • makeupobesessed