Urbie

Top Coat Woes

What is your favorite top coat?  For the past year, I have been using either the Ulta Nail Salon Formula Top Coat or Seche Vite, but I'm not super happy with either of them.  The Ulta brand lasts almost a week without chips, but it never seems to dry completely- even if I apply top coat first thing in the AM, I will wake up the next day with sheet marks on my nails.  The Seche Vite dried fast and glossy, but it shrinks the polish on my nail and chips more easily (plus, it has formaldehyde, which I am not a fan of inhaling).  Let me know your recommendations!!

bad823

Re: Top Coat Woes

(0) Hearts

For a shiny, fast dry top coat, Poshe works well.

Koofa

(0) Hearts

CND super shiney top coat! Never used to bother with bases & top coats til somewhat recent and wow, does it make a difference! Looks salon manicured for days! I love shiny nails!

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I like INM's Out The Door topcoat. I bought it after I started getting my nails done years back.  It is the same top coat my manicurist uses and it is fast drying and doesn't chip easily.  You can get it at Sally's, Ulta, etc. 

LuckyWinter

(0) Hearts

Personally im in love with the Witchcraft nail hardener! It dry fast and its the only product that makes my nails hard enough so that I can grow them :smileyhappy: Its my HG top coat <3

DandyLionFluff

(0) Hearts

Glisten & Glow - HK Girl Top Coat & Stuck on Blu! Base Coat Duo 

image.jpgThis stuff is great.  No shrinking, dries fast and hard.

I use it with the base coat.  You can get it from

Color 4 Nails, they ship very fast

fabulushdotnet

(0) Hearts

My go-to is Essie Good-To-Go top coat. I always stray once in a while, but come crawling back to my ol' faithful.

kso1225

(0) Hearts

I liked Seche Vite to begin with, but I'm having problems with it peeling off in sheets now. I switched to Essie Good to Go, which is also fast drying and I like it much better.

waterbaby1981

Sephora X the system top coat.  Dries super fast and I'm able to pick my wriggling daughter up within five minutes without any marks on the nails, guaranteed.  Didn't wake up with sheet mark on the nails either this morning or dents (since I tend to sleep with my hands under my cheek sometimes).

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Seche Vite has always worked really well for me, but I also like the Essie topcoat -- it dries quickly and definitely extends the life of a mani longer than when I don't use it. 

lovelykatya

(0) Hearts

I personally love Seche Vite top coat. for me it does not chip for a while, again that might be also because of my base coat! What i started doing when i do my nails is 1st i apply a layer of OP nail strengthener "Original", then 2 coats of polish and a coat of Seche Vite - noticed that my manicure lasts a pretty long while without chipping.

Shrinking on the other hand - sometimes happens, but i think that also has to do with the polish color/brand you use, becuase sometimes i see it, other times i do not.

Urbie

(0) Hearts

I do the same- I really love Seche for about 4 days, and then when it starts chipping a little, it is all over for me- it sometimes will peel off in a sheet!  My biggest concern with the Seche is that is it not 3/4/5 free, so I worry about inhaling it twice a week.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I have both Seche Vite and Nails Inc Top Coat. I'm not 100% impressed with either of them. Honestly, I've been wearing Paula Dorf nail polish and I can wear it without a top coat for DAYS and no chips. It is so inexpensive too! I have a cute pink color on right now (it's been 3 days and NO topcoat- zero chips)

I have a chipping problem too.

Sephora OPI with top and base coat - chips after 1 day

Essie with top and base coat - chips after 1 day

Sinful Shine with GelTech with top and base coat - chips after 2 days

Sally Hansen COmplete Salon Mani with top and base coat - chips after 2 days

I could keep going on and on.  Honestly, I think the Seche vite is better than the caviar top coat.

keelybt

I love the Nails Inc Kensington Caviar Top Coat.  It makes the polish dry SUPER quick, lasts me a good week without chips and has a lovely gel finish.

http://www.sephora.com/kensington-caviar-top-coat-P292005?skuId=1354778

cig01

I like the CND Speedy.  I bought a huge bottle a couple years ago and it never thickened up.  It works great and dries almost as fast as the Seche Vite.

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

I picked up Julep's freedom top coat as a 100 point perk and had my nail lady use it on my toes last week. No chips so far and my polish is still shiny (I used NARS Purple Rain).

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

was yours super stringy and hard to work with?? I have never tried anything like that. 

Urbie

(0) Hearts

I almost got that perk, but then I decided against it because it had "meh" reviews on the site- should have gotten it anyways to try it!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

CND "Shiny" is the best Top Coat I have ever used.  I have gone through quite a few bottles of it.  It makes your nails so shiny and they stay shiny!  I then top that off with OPI's Drip Dry Drops.  The drops help seal everything and help everything dry super quick.

Not sure what chemicals are in it though so that might be something you would want to check if that is a big deal for you. 

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestion!  About how may days does your mani last with CND?

WittyW

Took me a long time to find it, but the Nails Inc. Kensington Caviar Top Coat is amazing. Dries in a minute, no sheet marks, and gives nails great shine! What's not to love?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • lovelykatya
    • fabulushdotnet
    • waterbaby1981
    • pinktorridora